Best villa location on St John?

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best villa location on St John?

I am searching for the perfect villa and I am completely overwhelmed. My husband and I are interested in these things: great view, easy beach access, privacy, and a pool. We are looking in the $2000-2500 price range for the off season. My heart is set on Francis Bay because it sounds so amazing. I would love any suggestions you could offer!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:32 AM

suzdogg,
Hi! Why not look into Gallows Point..it is close to Cruz Bay with snorkeling access onsite.

Also did I recommend "Honeymoon Cottage" on a previous post to you?If not,here's a link..it's a 5 minute walk to Francis Bay.It's also fully air conditioned..which is a must during the Summer months.

www.stjohnusvi.org/new_page_2.htm

Good luck!!

Christie
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

christiegr:
How important do you think a pool is in St John? I have seen several villa listings w/o a pool that sound great, I just don't want to regret being w/o one.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM

suz,
If you have AC..I would say that a pool is not necessary.We stayed at the beach so not having a pool..did not bother us.We enjoyed the jaquzzi at night.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Just to say that my husband and I very much enjoyed Gallows Point--BUT I think it's impt that you understand that there's no beach and also that the pool isn't great (it's ok). Views are wonderful and privacy is not bad (though also not great). Wonderful being so close to town, and I agree that the snorkeling is ok (not as good as many other spots around the island). All depends on what you most want. Good luck.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 05:35 PM

We are renting the Honeymoon Cottage that christie mentioned in her post. When I started looking for villas, I really wanted a place with a pool up in the hills for the views and the breezes, but I started thinking that if I was close enough to a swimmable beach and the place had a/c (we're going in mid June), then I might be able to do without it. The HC does not have a pool. From what I understand it is a few minutes to Francis Bay. We'll see how it works out without the pool.
It has a hot tub. Maybe we'll just turn it off, let it cool down and use it as a mini pool!

-Bill
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Suzdogg: Bear in mind that St. John is a small island. If you don't find a villa right on Frnacis Bay or without a pool, it hardly matters because you are really never that far from a beach or Francis Bay for that matter. You will love the entire island. There really isn't a "bad" place to stay.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:50 AM

Bill,
I have not stayed at Honeymoon Cottage..but it looks wonderful.I would love to hear your thoughts on it when you return.(though months away).I think that you will be glad that you have AC during June as it gets pretty hot.I would like to stay there..next time I go to St John.Francis bay was my favorite beach.

I liked the comment about the jaquzzi..that was cute.

BTW...I enjoyed your pictures of your trip to Kauai.

Take care

Christie

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:26 AM

You may want to check out this villa:
www.villacielomar.com
It is not on the beach, (there are very few, if any on the beach in St. John since most beaches are in the Ntl. Park)but it has a pool, jacuzzi and is withing easy walking distance to Cruz Bay. I know the couple that manages it and they are wonderful. We have rented from them in the past.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Everyone on this forum is always so helpful. The HC is one of our top choices now. Also, there is a new villa called Miles Away that fits the bill, although not on Francis Bay. Like Tuxedocat says, the island is so small and we plan to do a lot of exploring anyway, Miles Away is starting to sound better. It has a pool and a/c, two important features for us. Out trip isn't until next fall, but villas seem to book pretty quick. Your advice is much appreciated!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:26 AM

We are considering the Honeymoon Cottage too. It's between this cottage and Island View Guest House on St. Thomas. Both places get very good reviews. IV would be a lot less expensive and includes breakfast. But we think we would really like to be on St. John. The more laid back atmosphere is more our style. I guess we'll decide over the weekend.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:12 PM

drdesign... if you have not been to either st. john or st. thomas, my suggestion is to stay on st. john, even if the price of HC is a bit more money. st. john is such a beautiful island/smaller,easier to get around,so many stunning beaches and as you said "laid back"..you would not regret going there. also you may hop a ferry to do a day trip or 2 to st. thomas to do sightseeing/ major shopping.. for me st. john has enough shops to keep me happy.10 yrs ago when we were planning our 1st vi trip we almost stayed on st. thomas/changed plans for st. john and NEVER regreted it !!! some yrs we go twice in the 12 mos. just my opinion!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:19 AM

suzdogg,

I don't know when you are going to SJ but if it's in the summer, I would make sure you have a pool and A/C. We were there in April 2005 and after going to the beach and coming back to the villa I wish we had a pool to cool off. It was hot. We had a hot tub but never used it because of the heat. We stayed in Calabash Boom and it was high up in the mountain and we didn't need air but the pool would have been lovely.
STJ is my favorite island and no matter where you stay you will love it. I do like the Coral Bay side better because it's less crowded. Plenty of restaurants to choose from.
Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Does anyone out there have any experience with Argonauta villa. I would love to get as many details as possible on the house. We have it rented in July and I would love to chat with anyone who has stayed there.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM

There is a villa (possibly two) that is located right along the gravel road to Francis Bay. I looked at the web site several years ago and it had a balcony with a view of the water. Unfortunately I can't remember the name but if you search the internet you migth find it. good luck.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM

The villa overlooking Francis Bay is Sunnyledge and the website is francisbeach.com. I stayed there last January it is great.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I looked up Sunnyledge- it isn't the villa I meant. This villa is probably a two minute walk from Francis Bay right off the gravel road that leads to the Francis Bay parking lot.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Could it have been Villa Serenity?

http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/villas...y/default.html

-Bill
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 05:43 PM

I'm staying at Villa Serenity nr Francis Bay in July, and will be glad to report back. Note that there are TWO Villa Serenity s listed on different sites for St John villas when you "google."
This one does NOT have a pool, but is a 5 min walk from Francis Bay and nr Maho Campground/restaurant (a plus for me).
I WANTED a pool but having three young grandkids with us, we thought safety might be an issue. If there are only two of you, Suzdogg, and you like this villa, they will rent it to you at a lower price.
This one has a washer-dryer which is a plus for us (I don't htink Honeymoon Cottage does) but again, we are looking at it with 6 person family needs. Also it is fully ac'd, and I've been told to go for that in summer, rather than ac only in bedrooms.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

CaliNurse I'm confused about which villa you are talking about. Which one would they rent to me at a lower price? And do you mean because there would only be two of us? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -