Reload this Page >

Best Resort on Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 12:48 PM
Mary

Resorts on Grand Cayman -- which are best? Would prefer being right on the beach -- don't mind spending lots of $$$ if it's worth it. Looking for a nice romantic vacation.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:02 PM
Sandy

Mary, <BR>If you are looking for a great resort I'd check out the Westin!! It's right on 7MB, and although I've never stayed there, I hear it's great. The other choice would be to rent a condo. You can save so much money by fixing some meals like breakfast or lunch, and then eat out in the evenings. A really nice condo on northern 7MB is Aqua Bay. Great beach area and not crowded at all. The further north on 7MB you go, the better the beach, but you may need to rent a car. Check out www.caymanvacations.com and www.gotocayman.com for accomodations. You'll love GC!!!! <BR>Sandy

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:23 PM
Jen

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I have stayed at the Westin and was not impressed. Very conventiony feel, and the pool and beach directly behind the hotel were very crowded. Service was mediocre at best. Room was ok, not great for the price you pay. <BR> <BR>Check out the Hyatt, although most of the rooms are not on the beach side of the main road that runs along Seven Mile Beach. <BR> <BR>Condos at Avalon are very nice and they are north on SMB. <BR> <BR>I suggest you rent a car regardless of where you stay - there is so much to see on GCI. <BR> <BR>There is a Ritz opening soon - not sure when, but definitely check that out...they have a nice spot on the beach.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:44 PM
Brian

We stayed at the Hyatt last February.. Not as nice as many other Hyatts. We had a room away from the beach which gave us a 5-10 minute walk to beach area each day. Nice pool areas, but again not up to the standards of some of the newer Hyatt properties. Rooms were ok, nothing special. Drinks and food are VERY expensive on Grand Cayman. We did see the Ritz location and it did look very nice. Have heard more positive comments about the Westing than the Hyatt. <BR> <BR>The weather was also very cool in February. The stingray snorkel trip was great.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:14 AM
Juli

Mary: <BR> <BR>I loved the Hyatt. You do not have to get the rooms on the golf course side. They have beachfront rooms as well. I thought it was great and the pools where really nice and the landscaping on the gold course side is spectacular. Water falls and fish ponds. Plus is has a golf course, and Watersports right off there beach. The poolon the beach side can be mre crowded sometimes but you can always walk across to the other side and go to the other pool. It was always pretty quiet. Especially at night. <BR> <BR>When you ask this question you will get different opinions on which is best. <BR> <BR>As for the issue as to whether or not Cayman is VERY expensive. I live in the NYC area and I didnt find Cayman to be that expensive. I think it is well worth it and if you do research before hand you can find some great ways to save money. <BR> <BR>There are many romantic restaurants on Cayman. Smugglers Cove being the most romantic I went to. As well as my other favorite Reef Grill. There is outside dining almost everywhere and that is always romantic. <BR> <BR>While there you have to go snorkeling. It was the best part of the trip. <BR>Have a great time which ever you choose. <BR>Juli

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:14 PM
Frank

I was puzzled when Jen reported the Westin was very crowded on her stay. I've been there many times and it was never crowded when I was there. But then I just saw a trip report on another board where someone was part of a convention that stayed there. So my guess is that Jen must have showed up during one of those conventions. I would guess any of the major hotels or resorts occasionally get the convention groups, which might be a good reason to look into staying in a condo instead of a hotel/resort.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 08:54 AM
xx

There is a resort right nextto Morritt's tortuga Club that is very nice andright on the beach. Snorkeling is good right of the beach but very, very good just a little way down the beach. Sorry I can't remeber the name... something Reef I think.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Sandy

It's called the Royal Reef, and it's on the east end of the island, right next to Morritts. Very nice place!