Best meal in the caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am stealing a post from the T&C boards on TripAdvisor and opening it up to the whole Caribbean...

What has been your single best meal while on vacation the Caribbean? Please note island, restaurant and dish...

Mine was in Anguilla at Blanchards. It was the jerk shrimp with sweet potato puree. Those sweet potatoes were to die for. (I bought the cook book jst for that recipe but haven't made it yet!) Oh and the Cracked Coconut dessert was awesome.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM

O.k. This was my &quot;meal&quot;. And yes, chocolate cake <i><b>does</b></i> count as a meal!

A slice of chocolate cake at Culloden cafe, Whitehouse, Jamaica.
Oh...but it was good.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM

I have two, btoh from Grand Cayman.

First was at Smuggler's Cove. The dish was a filet mignon stuffed with lobster. I can't quite remember what the sauce was, but absolutely incredible.

Second is a meal that we've had on 4 different occasions at The Reef Grill. It's there signature Chilean Seabass in a ginger soy type of sauce. There's a good reason we have been back to have this twice on both our GC trips.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I second Blanchard's - Lobster cakes, Sampler entree and also Cracked Coconut - excellent !!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:42 AM

TTT
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:52 AM

Coconut Shrimp appetizer &amp; Curried Lobster entree, and Red Stripe Light(s)...At YOW's restaurant (very close to the Grand Lido Braco property in the Runaway Bay area of Jamaica...)
Upscale tastes in a very casual, laid back environment.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I also had a wonderful meal at the Reef Grill in GC for my wedding dinner.

Also, the steaks at El Gaucho in Aruba are to die for.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM

I have to say, EVERY meal I ever had in St. Barth's was amazing!!! From the delicious bagette sandwiches at Maya's to go, to any meal at Eddies, Le Gaiac, Pa Cri, K'fe Massai, Le Select, La Plague, Nikki Beach, Andy's Hideaway, Le Ti, Wall House, Maya's...oh my list could go on and on!!! I don't think I have EVER had anything I did not enjoy!! I wish I was there now!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 09:11 AM

I am a foodie and have had so many wonderful meals throughout the Caribbean that it is impossible to say which one was the best. I'll give a second vote for the restaurants on St. Barth's - they are incredible - pick one, you can't go wrong. Other highlights were Anacaona on Provo, Montpelier on Nevis, several dinners prepared by a private chef we hired on Virgin Gorda, numerous meals on St. Martin, Altamar, Trottoria Tremondo (sp?) and Barrel Stay, Anguilla (FYI Blanchard's which was a big disappointment for us), any one of a half-dozen or so restaurants in Grand Case on St. Martin, Marshall's on St. Kitts, etc., etc. So many good places - not enough time.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM

I'm always thinking food.
All time favorite is Mango's in Anguilla-stuffed chicken with cream cheese, sundried tomatoes and basil. The secret marinade for chicken and lobster at Gorgeous Scilly Cay is pretty awesome.

I love Coyoba's and Grace's cottage in T&amp;C. Coyoba's stuffed ravoli is to die for. Anything from Grace's Cottage is good.

Any restaurant in St. Bart's is pretty excellent.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM

The Cliff - Barbados

My moms house on Nevis

K'fe Maasi - St Barths

Le Cottage - St Martin

Rock Cafe - Virgin Gorda (Lobster spaghetti)

Sugar Mill - Tortola

Parrot Club - Old San Juan

Carli's Concierto - Old San Juan

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:00 PM

It doesn't really have to be just one best meal, does it?

Conch Pizza at Mate &amp; Jenny's, Eleuthera. Ninety degrees in there, but the pizza aaaahhh the pizza. (Diana, are you listening?)

Pouilly Fuisse &amp; Snapper Fried Light, at the Hummingbird, St. Lucia, middle of the afternoon. Finish with Coconut Tart, and follow with a nap of course.

Lobster at Montpelier, Nevis.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM

Tia Maria Plantains - as a side dish at Round Hill, Hopewell, Jamaica.
Semi ripened plantains fried in very little oil coated in a Tia Maria sauce with a hint of cinnamon. Yummy.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ike

I'm with you Kristen. We just got back from AXA and my best meal was the lamb at Blanchard's...........................
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:31 PM

Beef and Veggie patties on Negril beach with an ice cold Red Stripe. The best view in the world, less than $3 and consistent day after day.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:10 AM

well, since I live on St. Maarten, I have to recommend st. Maarten restaurants, since I love to eat out.
st. maarten has over 300 restaurants and most of them are absolutely wonderful.
my two favorites:
1. Tropicana Restaurant in Marigot Marina.. French....
2. Spiga...Grand Case...Italian..
I give both of them 5 stars.. 6 if there is such a thing.

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:54 AM

Although I have had some wonderful meals in the Caribbean, I do have a bias to The Old Gin House on my own island of St. Eustatius. We especially had some fabulous meals there when Chef Jan was still in the kitchen.

http://www.oldginhouse.com/introduction.htm
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Not only the best meal in the Caribbean, but one of our best meals anywhere -- the chef's tasting menu at the Cuisinart resort on Anguilla. Every course was imaginative and delicious.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Cozumel:
-Afredo's: My husband says his lasagna was the best he's ever had anywhere (he LOVES lasagna). They warn you that there'll be a wait because they make it from scratch. He said it was absolutely worth the way.

St. John, USVI:
-Paradiso: I had the filet of beef, my husband had the grilled pork porterhouse. Desserts were bread pudding and chocolate molten cake. Heaven.

Curacao:
-Bistro le Clochard: Chateaubriand to die for.

San Juan:
-Carli Cafe Concertio: I had the filet mignon. My husband had the salmon filet. Excellent.
-Parrot Club: I had the chicken on a skewer with bbq sauce + rice and black beans. My husband had the brazed pork shank. Excellent.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:36 PM

How annoying, I can't spell.
It's Alfredo's for Cozumel and Carli Cafe Concierto for San Juan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -