Reload this Page >

Best Island for Off-the-Beach snorkling

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Beth

Any suggestions on which island(s) have the best "off-the-beach" snorkling (meaning no long boat rides to reach a spot and living reefs within swimming distance of a beach). Been to St. John which was fantastic (few tourists, very preserved natural beauty and supurb snorkling!) but looking for a new island and possiblities! Cost not an issue.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 06:45 PM
gail

Beth, how about a small island in the Bahamas that is beautiful pretty easy to get to and has some of the best snorkling right off the beach about 50 yards out or so, it also happens to be my favorite place to go in the Bahamas, Harbour Island. <BR> <BR>There are several nice places to stay, some good restaurants a bit of nite life and a wonderful 3 mile beach to stroll (beautiful pink sand) <BR> <BR>If you need any more info, let me know. <BR> <BR>gail

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 02:55 AM
Eddy

Bonaire is often said to be the best diving and snorkeling spot in the world.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 06:21 AM
joan

Beth, we also enjoyed Tortola's beaches for wade-in snorkeling. We rented a jeep and would visit a different beach every day. Once there were so many medium size fish, the big tarpon came around to dine, and scared us right out of the water. We climbed onto the rocks and watched the show from above. A great memory! <BR>Re: Harbour Island. Although the beach was beautiful, we found the snorkeling just so-so off the beach there...

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Dave

Bonaire snorkling is great, but not "off-the-beach".

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 05:32 PM
SUe

<BR>We went to virgin gorda last year and had very good snorkeling at spring bay near the baths. We saw turtles, rays ,sqid, schools of blue tang, they were beautiful! We also saw a very large permit fish! Actually I think I saw almost every fish on the fish chart I had . Also savanna bay had a nice reef and it was only about 5 feet deep.