Reload this Page >

Best Island for Families in Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 02:10 PM
mark

We're looking to take our 2 yr old daughter with us to the Caribbean in March. From what I've read, St. Barth's, St. Thomas, or St. John's look promising. Does anyone have advice for the cleanest, safest island with good amenities for families (i.e. not too uppity and TV for the baby for videos)? We're not looking to do alot of touring, just R&R by the beach and pool. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Mark

Old Dec 1st, 2000, 08:10 PM
Susan Gauch

I'd recommend Grand Cayman Island. There are many small, 2 storey, hotels which have a family atmosphere. They are basically one bedroom or two bedroom units with a pool and garden and kitchen so you don't need to eat in a restaurant all the time. Crime is non-existant and the grocery stores well stocked. Another bonus is that it is a shorter flight (for us anyway) from the US than most, yet warm enough to swim year round. <BR> <BR>We've gone twice with the kids. Now that we are older, we're going to St. John and staying at the Westin. They love the pool there and there is a kids club (more amenities) but the flight is much longer for us and a 2 year old wouldn't care about the fancy pool, though you might like the kids club.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 10:12 AM
Eileen

I recommend Aruba. Clean, safe, friendly. Check out La Cabana Resort.

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 05:12 AM
Barbara

St Thomas or St John is fine. also St. maarten..lots to do there..butterfly farm,zoo, parrot jungle <BR>think about Anguilla too. beautiful ebches.. very laid back.. kid freindly <BR>I wouldn't recommend St Barth's.. kind of uppity

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Jess

I would definitely second the vote for Grand Caymen. Try the Sunset House condos--perfect for families. The island is also great because everything is easily accessible and it is extremely safe.

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 02:41 AM
Arubasun.

I would also recommend Aruba as a family destination. There so much to do for kids on the island. From Adventure golf, to Atlantis Submarine, to cinemas, Paintball competition, Baby Beach with is very shallow sea water. Most resorts on the island do have a children activity program. La Cabana is certainly the family resort on the island. It has waterslides near its pool and has an extensive children activities program. <BR> <BR>Aruba is safe, very clean and the people on the island are certainly friendly. Both Cayman and Aruba are each others main competitors, that saids enough of which one you pick they are both certainly good choices. Again I would go with Aruba. <BR> <BR>Enjoy

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 10:14 AM
Manuel

I think your sellection is great.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 03:10 PM
lp

We took our two kids this summer, ages 4 and 7 to St. John and stayed at the Westin. We had a wonderful time. If you are looking for R&R, St. John is the place. There isn't a whole lot else to do with small kids there besides pool and beach. However, dining out with a two year old might be a challenge outside of your hotel. I did not notice highchairs in most restaurants in town....my kids enjoyed the kids club, however, I do not believe it accomadates two year olds. We will return when kids are older to snorkel!!!

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 11:01 AM
les

I recommend the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas, in particular Harbour Island, off the northern tip. It is a clean, safe, small island with pinkish sand beaches and plenty for families to do. Also, it's not completely overrun with tourists, so the locals are great and you really feel like you are visting another culture, unlike Nassau or Paradise Island.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:16 AM
Beth Anne

I have 3 kids and we take them to Grand Cayman. The island is considered the safest! The Westin has a good kids club and babysitters. There is also a lot of beach front condos. I recommend staying at the Coral Stone Club. If you go don't stay at the Marriott. The beach is gone.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:51 AM
R.J.

Another vote for Grand Cayman or Aruba. Both are clean, safe islands with plenty of available activities for families. <BR> <BR>Definitely avoid St. Martin/Maarten -- it's dirty and dangerous due to high unemployment and the element it attracts.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 07:38 AM
gary Feldspar

We recently travelled to St Johns. We were in the same dilema, unsure where to go. we called a company called Caribbean-something or other,(877) 953-7400 and spoke to a nice young man named Ben who had travelled these islands and was most helpful in helping us locate the perfect villa. Hope that helps

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 12:18 PM
Eric

Took our 2 children(ages 3 1/2 & 2 yrs) to St. Barts this past Thanksgiving & stayed at Filao Beach Hotel. We had a great time! Loved every minute of it!

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 11:42 PM
Tim

Grand Cayman or St. Barts ONLY!! (Actually, because of the nudity on St. Barts I would lean more towards Grand Cayman).