Reload this Page >

Best Insect Repellants for Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Karen

Please give me your favorites for insect repellants for the Caribbean. I have heard that Skin so Soft is good and want to know what works the best. I would prefer Deet-free products but any suggestions will do. Thank you.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:20 AM
tweedy

Karen<BR><BR>Skin-so-soft is GREAT. I am usually a bugs buffet, and never have a problem with SSS. It's also good for your skin, with a nice by-product of bug repellant.<BR><BR>The resort we stay at, always has a big bottle of it under the sink.<BR><BR>Good luck and have a great trip.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Nancy

Hi Karen,<BR>Depending on which island you go to - lush vs. arid - you need different things.<BR>Unfortunately, I've found that deet is the only guaranteed thing that works. I personally use SSS, but unless you cover EVERY inch, they'll get ya.<BR>Pay particular attention to elbows and feet - especially if you are wearing sandals. (Don't forget the toes!)<BR>If anyone knows of anything else, I'd love to hear about it too!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Karen

Thank you Tweedy and Nancy. I have heard of another Avon product that is an SPF 30 plus repellant but I've never used either of the products.<BR>We are going to Tortola and St. John if this helps in finding a product that fits our needs.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Mary Beth

I just came back from a week on St. John. The sss didn't do it for me down there and was forced to use my boyfriends 100% Deet. It wasn't the mosquitos, it was the noseeums. I was a walking bug bite for a couple of days until I gave in and used his stuff.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Karen

Thanks Mary Beth. Which deet product would you recommend? I don't want to use one but I don't want to be a walking bug magnet. Any others out there?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Nancy

Hi again,<BR>I know that many of the tanning lotions can be bought in various SPF's with deet. <BR>I think you'd be able to find a big selection in with lotions in any Wal Mart.<BR>I'd go with the highest concentration they have if I were you for Tortola/St. John - esp. St. John.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:51 AM
joan

Karen, why don't you want to use DEET? As long as you aren't allergic to the stuff, it is safe. Go to a camping store and get the tiny bottle with the highest concentration you can find (listed in fine print). That way you can get the most benefit from the least amount. That's the only thing that worked for me while camping in St. John (and only with frequent re-applying).

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Karen

Joan, <BR>I don't like using chemicals if I don't have to. There's supposed to be many new products that are DEET free that do the trick so I'm just asking for alternatives. <BR>I'll use it if necessary. Thanks Joan.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:33 PM
amsta06

I found that on all of the Islands that I've been to, mosquitoes are BAD, BAD, BAD. We alway take 100% DEET no matter what. The problem this year is that I'm pregnant so I'm not too sure what I'm going to do. You can buy Deep Woods Off, for Sportsmen which is 100% Deet anywhere. I got mine at Target. Also, they make it with only 23% Deet too. Make sure you buy it in a spray & wash your hands really good after applying. You may want to try one w/ only 6% Deet. That may work. That's what I'm going to try since I must have the tastiest blood in the caribbean!!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Mari

I keep on hearing different reports from absolutely no mosquitoes to infestations on the islands.<BR>Anyone know how the bugs are on Virgin Gorda?<BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Lynn

Karen:<BR>I tried the Avon Skin-so-Soft sunblock with bug repellant which worked ok, but found that the Skin-So-Soft bug repellant WIPES worked much better. I wasn't bothered at all when I used them. I've also heard that taking vitamin B-12 for one month before your trip will work to ward off the little biters. Unfortunately, I didn't learn that tidbit until after I had returned from my trip. Good luck.<BR><BR>Mari: <BR>I was in VG last year in June and found that bugs were worst in the late afternoon just before sunset. But, I used the SSS wipes and they did the trick.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:03 AM
Cathy

Go to Aruba - no bugs!

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:11 AM
Natalia

I've been to Aruba and there were bugs. I loved St. John and Virgin Gorda 100 times more than Aruba - better beaches, hotels, service and ambiance. Have fun Karen, you'll love it.

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:49 AM
Lynn

Karen:<BR><BR>Correction, it's vitamin B-6 that's supposed to work to deter the bugs. 100 mg/day for 15 days before your trip. Have fun!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:07 AM
Island Girl

I know mosquitoes are one thing. But what about the sand flies ( the no see'ums). Insect repellent doesn't seem to help. I use the sunscreen with the insect repellent and still no luck. I find the no see'ums nasty DEET or no DEET. Any suggestions?

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:53 AM
Susan

I agree with Cathy - Go to ARUBA!!<BR><BR>They have ZERO bugs. I mean ZERO!! The tradewinds keeps them out of sight. <BR><BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Mary

It has a little Deet but it has saved our vacations more than once: Mosquito Milk. It goes on as a roll-on; has a nice odor (we call ourselves wearing "Eau de Deet"); & really, really works. A study last year found that reasonable use of Deet poses NO health problems whatsoever - I think a week or two a year falls into that category. You can get the stuff on any island & it WORKS!!!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Glen

Does any one know where you can buy Mosquito Milk here in the US? I did a quick Internet search and came up pretty empty. I am just one of those that likes to have items like this beforehand so I don't waste valuable vacation time searching around

Old May 2nd, 2002, 12:42 PM
Mary

We haven't found it here But it's everywhere in the islands -- we originally got it at a very small resort on St Bart's & have since found it in gift shops, t-shirt shops & drugstores on Anguilla. I'm looking at the bottle which says it comes from Belgium & is distributed thru St. Martin (FWI). The manufacturer is JAICO & the phone # is (590) 877 401 - don't know where that is but you can get this miracle stuff in the islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -