Best Family Hotel in Turks and Caicos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip in July to the Turks. We have a 9 and 7 year old. We are having a problem on deciding where to stay. We have seen how nice Grace Bay is suppose to be to stay but we have seen the Leeward Resort (formerly known as Nikki Beach). Has anyone ever been, and if so how do the beaches compare? Which would you recommend more for a family? Also, if there are any other beaches you would recommend for staying on I would appreciate it. This is our first trip, we like nice calm beaches. Also, what activities would you recommend doing with a 9 year old and 6 year old? Any info. would be much appreciated!!!
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 06:46 AM

Leeward resort is at the end of the island, not Grace Bay ..it is a man made beach. I would stay on Grace Bay-you an walk to dining and the kids would like it so much better.
Compare--not even close, Grace Bay goes on for miles, the other is a small patch...Not knowing your budget...check out The Somerset, The Sands or Royal West Indies.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 06:50 AM

My sister and I stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort on Grace Bay, in February, and highly recommend it. There were several families with pre-school children, and they seemed to be enjoying the kiddie pool. It was a quiet, peaceful pool area, with shade available.
On two different boat trips, we passed a lovely, yet empty resort, formerly known as Nikki Beach. We were told that it had gone bankrupt and had only a couple of tenants, and is on a man-made beach.
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 08:45 AM

The Sands would be great with kids...very nice resort, great central location and really restaurant on site. Another option would be renting a house like Crystal Sands on Sapodilla Bay. Very calm, shallow water.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 04:12 AM

Not knowing your budget, I would highly recommend the Regent Palms. It is an exceptional resort on Grace Bay. For some reason, it doesn't get much press on the forums, but it is amazing. One of the nicest resorts we have stayed at and we have stayed at many Ritz carltons, st. regis and Four seasons. If you click on my screen name you can read our trip report and why I think RP is so great for families. They have a kids' club, they have units, like the one bedroom suite we stayed in, with full viking kitchens. The pool is gorgeous, the beach is just beautiful.
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Leeward beach is man made. It's pretty, but does not compare to Grace Bay. Leeward is in a marina, and while it's a terrific bargain, your kids aren't going to meet any other kids. When Leeward Resort was Nikki Beach, it was built with adults in mind. I find resorts on Grace Bay to have better pools, more kids, etc. Leeward Resort is nice, and modern, but with kids, I still give the edge to Grace Bay properties. Plus, you'll probably spend the whole time going to Grace Bay, and you would need to pack chairs (that you'll have to buy at supermarket) and umbrellas, as Grace Bay has them for the different resort guests only. You'll have to pack each time to go to the beach, vs just easy using the beachfront of the resort. Grace Bay Beach is the T&C draw, and while maybe for a second trip you'd go that route, seems kind of silly to do that to yourself on a first trip. ;-) Also, the restaurant at Leeward there is closed, there are some long term renters living there, and not many services. This would make a take care of yourself type vacation. It is luxurious, but better once you are familiar with an island.

With kids, and for a first trip, you really need to stay on Grace Bay. There are some terrific resorts in all price points- and some have excellent kids clubs. All of them on Grace Bay, your kids will meet other kids, and have a blast. All the resorts have beach toys for them. All of them on Grace Bay have restaurants (or have walking distance restaurants) which is really important with kids for that emergency drinks and snacks.

The resorts on Grace Bay are condos treated as hotels, with restaurants and services, yet have full kitchens and living areas. Read the reviews on this forum, there is not a bad place to stay.

What's your budget? What are tastes on vacation? Be glad to recommend resorts.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:12 AM

And, of course, there is Beaches. All-inclusive, lots of kids, HUGE.

Renting in one of the beach condos would also be a good choice.