Best All Inclusive With Snorkelling

Jun 12th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Best All Inclusive With Snorkelling

Hi!

My husband and I are planning a trip next spring with my sister and her husband. We have travelled together to the caribbean before and luckily we like the same things...relaxation, walking on the beach, and snorkelling as often as possible. We're not into parties or nightlife. A beach chair, some fins and a mask, some novels, and we're all set. We tend to like all inclusive resorts for the convenience and that there are fewer financial suprises along the way. (A meal plan would be the minimum) We're thinking of Turk's and Caicos, Cozumel, Bonaire or any of the Out Islands in the Bahamas. Anyway, any advice?? Thanks for all info!
Jun 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM

hello there you may want to try the dominican Republic punta cana the beach is great so is the snorkelling and the all inclusive resorts are cheaper than any other place i have been going again in late july for the 8 consecutive trip or you may try Belize by far the best snorkilling in the caribbean but I don"t know much about the all inclusive resorts there cozumel is to crowded and spensive,so is the bahamas and bonaire
Jun 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM

The famous reef is along the Mexican coast. Cancun, Riveria Maya, and Cosamel are beautiful.
Jun 13th, 2005, 10:04 PM
KVR

We've been to Cozumel twice and loved it. The snorkeling it great. The water is calm and clear.

I would also suggest Grand Cayman, but they don't have the AI hotels like Cozumel, and is quite expensive compared to Mexico. Also been to Nassau and felt Cozumel and Grand Cayman had nicer beaches. I would return to Cozumel in a heartbeat.
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I, too, may be interested in Cozumel (Jube-- I hope you don't mind my jumping in here). And we enjoy all-inclusives, so long as they're upscale. (Liked Swept Away in Jamaica; didn't like Club Meds) But: I've heard over and over again that snorkeling in Cozumel doesn't hold a candle to snorkeling in, say, St John or Bonaire. would love to hear from folks who know Cozumel snorkeling and can compare it to the best of the other Caribbean islands. Thanks. (Alas, no AI in St John far as I know...)
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:34 AM

I just got back from Cozumel a couple weeks ago and loved it. We didn't stay in an AI, but out hotel had pretty good snorkeling (if you go in the morning) right from it's beach. But if you go to Cozumel, definitely snorkel at Dzul Ha-its free and you snorkel straight from the rocky beach. It's right next to Chankanaab park. It was the best snorkeling I have ever seen. I've been to a lot of places in the caribbean--but not to St. John. But I'm going to St. John and Peter Island in the bvi's at the end of October, so then I will be able to compare. There are tons of AL's in Cozumel, but we preferred going out to the restaurants in town. Also, if you do go to Cozumel, I recommend that you rent a jeep and drive around the island one day--the east side of the island isn't touristy, has beautiful crashing waves, and pristine beaches.
Jun 14th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Lauren, you are going to have the best time! One point regarding St. John is it doesn't have any all-inclusive resorts. I don't know about the BVI's but St. Thomas does have all-inclusive but is way more commercially developed.
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM
KVR

We just returned from St. Thomas and did the AI at the Wyndham. We took day trips to St. John and and BVI. I still liked the snorkeling better in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. The water just seemed much clearer to us.

Trunk Bay on St. John gets lots of recommendations, but we didn't see the hype. The underground snorkle trail didn't have hardly any fish. Coki Beach on St. Thomas was better for snorkeling. We wouldn't return to USVI. We've been to Mexico 4 times and planning another trip for 2006.
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Tuxedocat: I know you have a house on St John from reading your posts, so you obviously know the island well.
Doesn’t Caneel classify as an AI?
I spilt a two-week honeymoon between there and Peter Island (which is an AI in BVI) and all my meals were included. I know you can choose a daily rate as well.
Unfortunately the food was average, and we ate out a few times; Cruz Bay has some excellent restaurants as you know.
Jun 15th, 2005, 08:04 AM

If you're interested in Cozumel - do some research on the Reef Club. It is AI just south of Chankanaab Park. I would not classify it as "upscale" but I was just there a month ago and found it quite acceptable. Saw many folks snorkeling off the beach and I dove with Sand Dollar sports there - they do a good job. Food is certainly adequate, not gourmet, but I had no objections. No premium liquor unless you book the timeshares, but again that's not a problem for me. Nice pools, nice beach, evening entertainment on site every night - I was quite happy. Look at pricing it out on www.funjet.com - don't book directly with the hotel, Funjet packages are better priced.

If you want a little more upscale, I have heard good things about the Occidental Grand or the Iberostar but have no personal experience. I loved the Melia Turquesa in Cancun, so I'm sure the Melia Cozumel is nice, but it's on the north end of the island and the best snorkeling/diving is on the south end which is where the other resorts I mentioned are located.

Bonaire does not have particularly pretty beaches and few true AI resorts - better for diving than snorkeling.
Jun 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM

We went to El Portillo in the dominican Rep. it was wonderful, great snorkling right off beach. It is way off the beaten track,but plenty to do horse back riding included with the all in clusive. Not the hotel upon hotel part of DR, Our family loved it the kids had a blast, food was great. Can't say enough good things about the resort or the people there. Not many American tourists there mostly German and Canadian. Hope this helps. The cottages on the beach area are great for families.
Jun 15th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!
Poss: Funny you mention Swept Away in Jamaica, that's where we went with my sister and brother in law last time! VERY nice. Sort of sets the bar for all of our other trips.

I will look into the Reef Club in Cozumel, for sure...sounds promising.

I'd never heard of the D.R. for snorkelling....that might be worth looking into.

Thanks again!

Jube
Ontario Canada