Search

Best All Inclusive in Mexico that allows kids

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best All Inclusive in Mexico that allows kids

Hello,
I posted earlier trying to find a spot in the Caribbean for a family reunion and said Mexico was not being considered. After further research, it is back on the table. We have not set the date but will probably be shoulder season (but not in the middle of hurricane season).
We are a group of 16 people between the ages of 1 and 75 and everything in between. I am still considering AI and NON AI (Caribbean Turks Beaches/Seven Stars, Cayman Westin, and Aruba Radisson). I just need some Mexico options for pricing.
Can anyone please help with an ALL inclusive suggestion resort that WILL ALLOW KIDS. Would fly into Cancun or Puerto Vallarta. While we will have kids with us I don't necessarily want it to be a total kiddy land b/c I think the "teens" in the group will no nuts so maybe Beaches is not the place.
We are using points for flights. Would like 5 star maybe 4 and budget is open. Actually I want to be able to compare a 5 star to a 4 star and the offerings to see if it is worth the extra money.
Looking for:
-Nice beach
-nice pool
-good food
-activities for kids
-mini disco / entertainment at night, etc.
-workout facilities
-ability to snorkel or fish there or nearby in an excursion, etc.

THANKS FOR THE HELP.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 01:00 PM
KVR

AI's in Mexico:

I would avoid the RIU's. They are cheap and you get what you pay for.

The best AI is going to be the Iberostar's. There are some that are family friendly and some that are adult only.

The Barcelos, Occidentials, Zoetry and Dreams are good options also.

This site can help you with researching specifics:

http://www.mexicoallinclusive.com/me...ve_resorts.cfm
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 01:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd re-post this over on the Mexico forum . . .
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Lots of All-Inclusives in Puerto Vallarta that allow kids, most of them in fact. I'm not sure there are any 5-stars though. PV's more a laid back kind of place, doesn't really draw a fancy crowd for the most part.

The two AI's that are right downtown (Buenaventura and Hotel Playa Los Arcos) I'm thinking would be considered 4-star at most.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
More like 3-star by outside Mexico standards ;-)
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Best" means different things to different people. One of the best AI resorts in the Riviera Maya is the Grand Velas, but it is expensive.
For a less expensive resort on a good beach with activities for everyone, look into Sandos Playacar. It is not 5 star though. It also has an adults only section.
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo or Maya should fit your needs. Large resort on a good beach, great pools, LOTS of activities for all ages.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 03:30 PM
KVR

I have stayed at the Playa Los Arcos in PV. I would definitely rate as a 3*. Absolutely not in the same category of AI's that you are looking for. The beaches in that area are really subpar to the Caribbean side of Mexico is that is an issue to you. We could never even get in the water on our trip as it was constantly red flagged.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 05:22 PM

The water in PV is just the Ocean. The water is nothing like the Caribbean in terms of clarity. It is not turquoise water. I am not sure what type of snorkeling there is or if it would be available in PV/ You have a huge age range--sounds very nice. I think an A/I would be great for your group. It would make it easier and you would know what the trip is costing up front. Eating out with that size and getting together would be difficult perhaps. Make is simple. Many A/I in the mayan Rivera cater to families. Look at trip advisor also for reviews.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 03:56 AM
WWK

One of our friends vacationed with his family over Christmas at PARADISUS PLAYA DEL CARMEN LA PERLA. He raved about it, said it was his best vacation ever, but I know it's pricey.

IF you decide to do without AI, you could look at THE WESTIN in Cancun. We have stayed several times next door at LIVE AQUA, but that's adults only.

THE WESTIN is on a gorgeous very uncrowded beach, has lovely rooms, spa, gym,HUGE pool, and a few restaurants. It''s across the street from an upscale mall with lots of restaurants, including The Rainforest Cafe. There are several other restaurants in the immediate neighborhood, including an amazing Argentinian steakhouse.

Downtown Cancun is about 15 min. by bus or taxi.

The hotel can arrange whatever excursions you want to do to the ruins, etc. Most of the Cancun hotels will do that for you.

There are a few big name AI's on the same beach, closer to the airport. I don't know much about them other than their names- GRAN MELIA is one that other friends go to fairly often.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 06:21 PM
KVR

Just as clarification, the Paradisus Playa del Carmen LA PERLA is the ADULT only section of this resort. The other part of the resort is the Paradisus Playa del Carmen LA ESMERALDA, which allows children. Adults can use the entire resort facility while children are restricted to certain areas.

This hotel also offers a "Royal" service, for of course, additional fees. Adults who do not pay for this service are excluded from some areas of the resort including a pool area and some restaurants/bars. I think this type of practice is ludicrous. I don't believe in segregating patrons within a resort by how much money they spend on the hotel. Unfortunately, this practice is getting more popular with some resorts in Mexico. I feel there are better AI's resorts in that area than this one, but of course to each their own.
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 08:06 AM
WWK

KVR,

I had no idea that Paradisus segregated guests in that way. It does seem to be increasingly common at many resorts. I think it's crazy.

Just wondered what AIS you would recommend in the area? We've thought of going back to Playa, but would like to be very close to Fifth Avenue. We stayed at Porto Real when it first opened many years ago. Great location, but horrible food.

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.
KVR, iberostar is so massive. I worry about grandparents trying to locate everything. Is there one that's not so large but still is 5 star and has offerings we are looking for? I will look at the other brands you suggested.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 06:54 PM
KVR

WWK, have you looked at the Royal Playa del Carmen? It's the sister resort to the Grand Porto Real and directly across the street. To date, it's still our #1 AI resort. It's a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue. I actually liked the food at the Porto Real. We ate Maria's Maria's twice. We also liked the food at the Royal, much better than anything we ever found on 5th Avenue. There are really not very many AI resorts close to 5th Avenue.

They have another sister property called The Real Playa del Carmen. http://www.realresorts.com/Real-Playa-Carmen/ I'm not as familiar with that property. Looks like it's not on the beach as they offer a shuttle to a beach club. It's coming up as a 3*.

A compromise would be the Mahekal Beach resort. They offer breakfast and dinner AI, but not alcohol. The rooms have no phone or TV, which is why we haven't stayed there. DH can't live without TV. It's a 20 minute walk to 5th Avenue. We have had the same dilemma as we prefer AI resorts and being close to 5th Avenue.

mamamo, there are 6 Iberostar resorts that allows children. The larger the resort, the more activites are available to keep everyone entertained.

Also look at:

Generations Maroma, by Karisma

Occidental Grand Xcaret. This resort is right next door to Xcaret. I believe guests get free access to Xcaret, which would be enjoyed by most everyone in your party.

Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita Riviera Maya

Any of the 3 Barceló properties.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 03:39 AM
WWK

Thanks so much, KVR. Great information! We stayed at Porto Real the year it first opened, which may explain the food issues we had. Looking forward to a trip back to Playa. Thanks again!
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks KVR......
When we went 5 years ago we stayed at paradisus now sapphire riveria cancun.
Have you been to that property? If you have curious your thoughts on that one vs some of the other ones we are looking at for point of reference.
Not sure how it is now being a sapphire but we had a great time when it was a paradisus- great food, rooms- only complaint was cold pool and the royal service thing.

Want a new experience so Is paradisus playa del Carmen nice? Which Iberostar of the six is top (one that allows kids). Also which Barcelo property of the three? Will also check out the others.
Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 17th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Woops KVR read how you feel about paradisus. Just trying to find a place that we have been and maybe you have to help guide us to a new spot. There are so many it's overwhelming. I have ruled out PV. Red flags would be a bummer and really want five star.
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 03:47 AM
WWK

If you're ruling out "red flags", take Cancun off your list, too. There were several days when the beach was red flagged due to severe undertow. This was during two visits, one in Jan, one in Feb.
Old Sep 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mamamo ,
The Iberostar Paraiso Maya is the top one that allows children.
The Barceló Palace would be the top one in that complex.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 05:07 AM

I would also consider the Palladium. It hits every single item on your want list. The resort is huge, but that means more activities for the kids. Food is some of the best for AIs, and you have 14 restaurants, 10 pools, and some of the friendliest staff you'll find. Check out any reviews for this resort....99% of them are excellent. I went back in Oct or 2011, and thought it was the best AI I've seen.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM

We stayed at the Barcelo Palace. LOVED it!