Bermuda or British Virgin Islands?

Apr 4th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Tricia

Bermuda or British Virgin Islands?

We are getting married in August. We can't decide between Bermuda or BVI for our honeymoon. Has anyone been to both, that can offer any suggestions? We would like nice clean beaches, but not over crowded. We would like some small shopping areas, restaurants with good food, people and atmosphere. Also any suggestions on where to stay for both?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Apr 4th, 2001, 12:29 PM
julie

I have been to Bermuda and Virgin Gorda. Both are beautiful.
Beware, however, that August is part of the hurricane season in the Virgin Islands and the beginning of it for Bermuda.
That having been said...
Bermuda is very pristine. The beaches are beautiful. Very nice hotels and restaurants - but quite expensive. There is very little night life.
I did not stay on Virgin Gorda but absolutely loved the beaches, particularly Devil's Bay, next to the famous Baths. Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda is a beautiful resort. Had a very good lunch at Little Dix. I think the night life is pretty minimal on Virgin Gorda.
I know several people who have been to Tortola and really enjoyed it.
Hope this helps!

Apr 5th, 2001, 09:00 AM
Jules

Either is a great choice. Bermuda has more to offer in the way of history. The snorkeling was better in BVI. Bermuda is considerably more formal & food more expensive. BVI is very laid back. Beaches & water are wonderful on each. Fabulous shopping on Bermuda for anything. Great shopping in the BVI for colorful artwork & clothing.

Recommend Pompano Beach or Pink Beach in Bermuda. In BVI, Prospect Reef. We also liked Long Bay, even tho it gets mixed reviews.

Apr 5th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Donna

Hi! I stayed on the BVI island of Tortola and loved it! We stayed at the Frenchmens Cay on the west end (over the hill from Long Bay). It's really private (only 9 condos) and has a restaurant there on site. They offer all inclusive packages that include your car, some of your food and also the snorkel gear and beach towels. I highly recommend it. Email me if you want more details.

Apr 5th, 2001, 08:28 PM
deb

I've never been to Bermuda-we tried,too difficult from FL, but we did rent a sailboat Thanksgiving wk & toured BVI. Stayed @ Prospect Reef for a few days-nice but a little pricey. I met Pamela Acheson, travel critic, there while reading her book "The Best of the BVI". We loved the people, food, snorkeling & sites but it's VERY rugged. We ate @ Frenchman's Cay-nice little place. My "captain" inquired about lodging via email w/ the owner when he got back. My favorite spot was Jost Van Dyke for reggae music @ Foxy's & 2lb lobsters @ Sydney's Peace & Love (ask for Rena-she'll sell you the tshirt off her back!). A great place, but next time in a power boat w/ AC!!

Apr 6th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Carol

We honeymooned in Bermuda in late June several years ago. It was fantastic. We stayed at Elbow Beach which is a wonderful old but renovated resort on one of the most beautiful beaches. The meals were included and since we had the same waiter every day, we became good friends with him and still exchange Christmas cards! Good snorkeling, horseback riding at dawn on the beach, scooters to tour the island, historic forts, maritime museum, botanical gardens, caves, great shopping, "broadway" type shows at the South Hampton Princess, etc. Went back three years and will take out children soon. Very civilized, proper, excellent transporation, etc. clean and high standard of living. We loved it!

Apr 6th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Barbara

I have been critized before on this site for for trying to depict the BVI from a typical American's point of view but will offer my thoughts because you should be happy with your honeymoon trip. I have a step sister who lives on Bermuda. I have never been there but my impression is that it is very civilized and upscale. As previous posts have indicated. My husband and I went to Tortola for our 2nd honeymoon in March. First trip to the caribbean for us, so I can't compare with other Islands. The BVI is a fantastic place for yachting and boating most of the resources are focused in those areas. It is definitely the yachting capital of the world. The land based development is VERY limited. For those folks who want rustic, unimproved, unpopulated vacation the Tortola is great. The standard of living for those on the island is not like the US and since the BVI folks have kept land development very limited you will not experience amenities or facilities like you would on a developed Island. That real life terms that means very few tourists. It also means rough roads, limited amenities, and a rustic feel. Frenchman's Cay is the only possiblity for a resort. It is a lovely place. It is on it's own peninsula and the grounds are beautifully groomed and maintained the restaurant is beautiful. We didn't stay there, so I can't comment on the villas. We stayed in a private home. The other BVI islands appear to have some beautiful resorts, like Little Dix Bay and Peter Island. These are very Pricey!!!! but I am confident they are nice. Evaluate what kind of vacation you want. In the States would you choose a highly developed resort town like Palm Beach or Naples FL or would you be happier in a more wilderness location like the parks of the Northwest? If you want civilization and luxury do not go to Tortola, if you want undeveloped natural beauty than you'll love the BVI. Hope this helps you pick the honeymoon that will be special for you.

Apr 6th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Amanda

Been to both several times. BIGGEST difference I would say is that Bermuda is more "civilized" (for lack of a better word). tortola had more of the third world country feel- though it is a great place. Just say alot more of things like- chickens running in the streets, shacks etc. Bermuda is more modern and British. Hope that helps.
(I really love both so it's hard to say which is better)