Bermuda Bound in August 1997

Jan 22nd, 1997, 06:53 AM
Betty Li

Bermuda Bound in August 1997

Hello Marla: I read your note posted on the Fodor's Internet Forum. I have been to Bermuda twice, the last time being Sept '96.

I have never stayed at Grotto so I really can't comment except that it is not really centrally located for exploring the whole island.

If you want specific questions answered about Bermuda itself, feel free to e-mail me.

Betty
Toronto, Canada

Jan 22nd, 1997, 01:42 PM
Sheila

Hi- my husband and I went on our honeymoon 10 years ago
to bermuda. We're hoping to return there in July. We
stayed at the Sonesta Beach Hotel & Spa. The hotel
was very nice and we heard the just spent "a million
or so" on renovations. You can rent mopeds at the top of the hill.
The restaurants were excellent too! Have you heard
anything on Elbow Beach? Sonesta doesn't have golf-
and my husband would like a resort that could accomodate this.

Feb 8th, 1997, 07:13 PM
Frank

Have been to Bermuda 3 times. Stayed at Hamilton Princess twice and Southhampton Princess the 3rd trip. Duration of visits was always 4 days. Think 10 days might be too long. You might want to consider splitting the 10 days between 2 locations, and staying at 2 different types of accomodations (maybe large hotel and small guest house). Riding mopeds can be exhausting as you never get used to driving on the left side of the road. Don't be afraid to try riding the bus as it can be fun mixing with the Bermudians.

Feb 14th, 1997, 10:55 AM
celia S.

I have been to Bermuda twice, my last trip was three years ago. I find Bermuda a people friendly Island. If you like scuba diving or snorkling you will enjoy most of the beaches. You can rent a moped to go around the island, but be very carefull as they drive on the left side of the road. The bus is a fine way of transportation for the beaches. You will enjoy the island, its super clean, I do think that 10 days might be a bit long, there is not much to do in the Island besides the beaches. St. Georges is avery nice town for a day visit, morning beach, and late afternoon visit of the town. ENJOY YOUR STAY> CELIA

Feb 14th, 1997, 11:17 AM
Betty Li

I disagree that 10 days is too long. If all you think Bermuda has is beaches then you haven't seen all of Bermuda!

Walk the Railway Trail, explore their many small parks and old forts. Go horseback riding on the dunes above the glorious South Shore beaches, snorkel a different spot everyday, go fishing or exploring small deserted islands in your own Boston Whaler.

My husband & I have been twice, both for 7 days and they were never enough.

Betty

Mar 21st, 1997, 11:26 AM
Mary Boley

Dear Marla: Didn't stay at the Grotto but did stay at the Sonesta Beach Hotel & Spa. It was wonderful!
It is on the South shore and has moped rental at the top of the hill. Moped is the ONLY way to travel in Bermuda! There is plenty to do and I definetly recommend buying Fodor's Bermuda travel guide since you will be there 10 days. We were only there 5 and did just about everything there was to see and do. I wish we had more time but definetly plan to go back on our fifth anniversity in two years!