Search

Bequia???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bequia???

Anyone that can tell me anything about Bequia? I've never heard of this island but it looks kinda cool! We are a young couple planning a honeymoon in April '09- i've posted before regarding a cruise vs. barbados but now I found this.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:40 PM

Bequia is a fabulous little island in St Vincent & the Grenadines. It is easily accessible by plane from St Vincent and Barbados, and Barbados has regular scheduled international flights from the US, Canada, UK and Europe, so depending on where you are flying from, it's very "doable". If you really want an experience, you could try the ferry from St Vincent, but the crossing can be quite rough.
Charming and laid back island with lots of character. Perfect for a honeymoon. Check out the tourist board for Bequia for more information. You can find a link to it here:

http://www.destinationcaribbean.net/...amp;Itemid=183

SVG Air flies into Bequia, also Mustique Airways. You can find links to those here:

http://www.destinationcaribbean.net/...amp;Itemid=176

Bequia is also a great starting point for sailing through the Grenadine islands - a once in a lifetime unforgettable experience.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for your information!- if anyone has any suggestions for a hotel that would be great as well. we were wondering about Bequia Beach Hotel at Friendship Bay. also, will we need a rental vehicle? is there any nightlife (by nightlife i mean bars with live music and stuff like that- nothing wild)?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

oops- wrong hotel- i meant that we are looking at staying at Friendship Bay Beach Resort
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 04:59 PM

Bequia is a tiny gem of an island that I would recommend in a heartbeat if you like:

--genuine West Indian flair
--simple accommodations
--old world Caribbean charm
--lack of glitter
--total laid back atmosphere
--casual restaurants & inns
--warm & welcoming locals to "lime" with
--nice beaches, natural beauty

It took us nearly a whole day to get there but we found it absolutely worth it. Since we were only there for 5 nights, we opted to stay "in town" at the Frangipani, which is a perfect location for walking to various restaurants, shops, bars, and the market. It's a bit of a hike but entirely doable to walk to Princess Margaret beach and from there to Lower Bay from the Frangipani.

I actually never saw the Friendship Bay area at all, much to my disappointment, so I can't personally recommend that hotel. It is on the isolated side over there, though. we didn't use a rental vehicle because we walked just about everywhere and then just took a taxi to the places we couldn't walk to, but if I stayed elsewhere I would definitely consider renting a car.

I flew into Bequia via Barbados on SVGAir (which is essantially the same company as Mustique Airways, as they share planes, routes, and everything else except possibly pilots), and departed via the ferry. I took a Dramamine before getting on the ferry, but if I hadn't I probably would have felt a bit sick.

Bequia really is a wonderful little island!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:39 AM

Ditto what ejcrowe posted.
www.svgtourism.com
www.insandoutssvg.com
www.caribbeantravelforums.com
www.bequiatourism.com
www.youngisland.com
April is a good time to visit though still last part of high season. Non commercial, quaint, friendly locals, reasonably priced accommodations and a great base from which to do some island hopping thru the Grenadines.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 05:57 AM

Any recommendations for hotels -teh Bequia beach Hotel or the Frangipani Hotel? Any other suggestions? I am thinking on doing the Tradewind Cruise and would like to arrive the day before the cruise or stay an extra day.