Reload this Page >

Been to St. Lucia? Please advise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 06:09 AM
Carol

I would like to plan family vacation for this year to Caribbean. I'm looking for a beautiful beach and fine dining; teen-agers want rain forest adventure. Therefore, I'm researching St. Lucia. I started with Ladera Resort, but I am petrified of heights and already have sweating palms thinking of falling off the cliff while trying to find the bathroom at night! The "look" of the Hyatt appeals to me, but kids want something more authentic. I'm also getting confused by the various "regions" on such a tiny island! Could anyone offer accomodations advice? In addition, any general advice to make this a wonderful trip would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 06:24 AM
joe

Try the Jalousie Hilton beautiful resort.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 06:51 AM
Linda

Have been twice to Windjammer Landing--1996 and 1999 with toddler and teenager---beautiful accomodations---mostly villas with multiple bedrooms, beautiful terraces and private plunge pools---food was OK, very nice pools, beach a bit disappointing----but the kids had a fabulous time. I haven't been to the rain forest but it sounds good.<BR><BR>Good luck---contact me if you have specific questions.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 08:57 AM
freewoman

Have been to St. Lucia and stayed at the Jalousie Hilton. If you are afraid of heights, you have chosen the wrong island. Believe me, you will be a basket case just getting to your resort from the airport. That should cure you from wanting to go on any other outings while you are on that island.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 10:00 AM
joan

Linda, isn't Windjammer Landing also situated on a cliff/hill, with elevators down to the beach?<BR><BR>Carol, St. Lucia has a famous mountainous region in the South (Pitons - where Ladera and Jalousie are located), and the capital of Castries and most of the resorts are in the northern end of the island, hilly but not mountainous. Perhaps this would be the better area. Windjammer gets great reviews here, but don't know if that would still be too much "height" for you (or is it just the "missing wall" at Ladera that gives you the fright?). The Jalousie is located at beach level, going up the hillside, between the Pitons. Gorgeous (but don't tell the kids: manmade beach -- they might not realize it) property and located close to the rainforest and volcano.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 10:07 AM
Carol

Thanks all! The Jalousie Hilton sounds like a perfect spot! Is it as nice at the Hyatt? Where is that located? Yes, I am scared of heights, but am able to keep it under control to ski, and even drove through an Alps mountain pass. (But wouldn't want to do that again!) Yes, the missing wall is what made the palms sweat! Thanks again for all the advice; I'll keep checking in!

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Marie

The 2 ends of the island are entirely different. We stayed 3 nights on the south end at Anse Chastanet & then 3 nights at the Hyatt. When you fly in, take a water taxi to your hotel - very easy to arrange, thereby avoiding the scary roads. If you opt to stay at the Hyatt the entire time, at least take a water taxi to the south end & do the rain forest tour - unforgettable.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:38 AM
Lorrie

I wouldn't book the Hyatt as they are in the process of selling the hotel and won't take reservations after the 25th of March.<BR><BR>I am thinking of booking the Royal St. Lucian and would be interested in feedback from anyone who knows the hotel.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:01 AM
mary

Besides, I think Ladera is couples only. If not, they sure don't get a lot of children, nor would it be recommended.