Reload this Page >

Beach Details-St. Kitts

Search

Beach Details-St. Kitts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:03 AM
virginia

Beach Details-St. Kitts

I am interested in knowing what the beach is like at the Timothy Beach Resort. I read that there is good snorkeling from the beach. Does the reef/rocks come right up to the shoreline? Would you advise reef shoes just for swimming? What is the sand like? White?Beige? Fine? Rocky? Details, details, I'm a tad obssesive. Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:30 AM
anon

ttt

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 06:39 AM
JayT

I went to St Kitts a few years ago. We took a bike ride down to Timothy beach. I remember some kids playing volleyball. The sand was kind of golden colored if I remember correctly. It was pretty fluffy <BR>though. Not too course. I didn't actually go in the water.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:41 PM
Penney

When we went there on a cruise last year, they told us not to go to Timothy Beach as it took a big hit during a storm. Has it improved since?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Brad

Although St. Kitts was hit a few years back by a hurricane, and although the beaches had been affected, the beaches are back in great shape now ... and the beach at Timothy (Frigate Bay) is in excellent shape too. On my trip there in December/January, I was very impressed. And although there is good snorkeling at Timothy, there is much better snorkeling at South Friars Bay and White House Bay (both of which are less than 10 minutes by car from Timothy).

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Mary Lynn

The beach is horrible at Timmothy Beach<BR>resort ( Frigate Bay ) Rocks all over on entry. After the hurricane not much of a beach very narrow. Some say it started to return but as nature would have it it is worse then ever. <BR>A few still snorkel there but it is definately not for beach bums! South Friars is very nice. <BR>We were there in July 2002 and were very disappointed in the beach and the <BR>resort !

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 01:25 PM
JMM

Stayed at timothy beach in April 2002 and disagree with Mary Lynn.<BR>Beach - defintely a rocky entry - about 1st 10 feet - lots of large rocks - beyond that no probs. My husband re-arranged some rocks to clear a small path path for me (I have some mobility probs and I could get in and out fine) Beach itself (before you enter the water) has soft golden sand.<BR>Snorkeling pretty good near the breakwall - I saw an octopus.<BR>The resort - not 5***** but friendly, low key, quiet and clean - so it really depends on what you want - I like a quiet low key atmosphere but some people like a lot of amenities.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:13 PM
ML

JMM<BR><BR>I agree with you about different opinions. The beach at TBR is not one I care to board two planes to get to. The sand is not very nice and there are certainly plenty of rocks at entry. Worn lounge chairs taht were truely ready for the dumps. There was a tire wedged between two rocks close to the shore and a fridge that was dumped off on the far end. Not my idea of paridise. But here is some news that might please everybody on St Kitts. The Marriott is supposed to fix the beach so their quests have somewhere close to go on the Caribbean side. This I think would please us both. And you are correct about Timmothy Beach Resort.<BR>No ammenities, not for me I made the mistake of expecting to much. In my opinion it was a step above camping in the Caribbean. But for the money I was really foolish to expect more. I read alot of positive views and thought it might due. I wanted to go to St Kitts and as resorts go near the beach choices were limited. TBR was said to be the only resort right on the beach, walk out the door and snorkel. NOWAY ! You were there in April I am not sure mother nature can work that quickly but if you check on www.geographia.com newsboard you will<BR>find 4 or 5 new reports of disappointed vacationers regarding the condition of the beach. You might want to read these reports or do some research before you return. Also they have more positive reports than mine regarding TBR. But as of July 2002,<BR>trust me there Frigate bay is not a beach that any caribbean traveler would like.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:21 AM
JDS

The beach at TBR is not horrible at all! We just returned July 7th. If you go to the website and look at the photos, these pictures are a perfect representation of the resort. <BR><BR>Yes, the beach is a little rocky at the entrance, but after you pass this minor inconvenience (which could be avoided altogether with water shoes), you will be very happy with the water and the off white super soft sand.<BR><BR>Right outside the restaurant, and close to the hill are large rocks, which is a perfect spot for snorkeling. You can begin there and snorkel all around the corner and end up in South Friar's Bay, which in my opinion, is the best place to snorkel on the entire island.<BR><BR>An abundance of shells can be found at this beach; all kinds, shapes and sizes. The beach is lined with palm trees and is a nice walk to the end and around.<BR><BR>I do not know what is going on with the negative postings about this resort on the main St. Kitts and Nevis newsgroup. I think someone is trying to veer people to other resorts due to some bad feeling or something. TBR has gotten excellent reviews for years.<BR><BR>The hotel is very nice, buildings with assorted types of rooms, up against a hill. The rooms are large and immaculate. Cable TV, full kitchens, large bathrooms, welcome basket, friendly staff, very nice Manager and is in a prime spot on the island, close to numerous restaurants and activities.<BR><BR>If you stay anywhere else in Frigate Bay, you will have the Atlantic Beach available to you which is so rough, you can neither swim nor snorkel in it. You will find yourself walking to the Caribeean Beach at TBR or hopping in a car to go to SFB or Turtle Beach. <BR><BR>Take the negative with a grain of salt. The place is nice and you will enjoy yourself. It has never been labeled a 5 star resort like the Four Seasons on the sister island of Nevis.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:05 AM
ML

Well we must have stayed at different <BR>TBR at appromiately the same time in St Kitts, my room was large and dreary,not immaculate my balcony was not even swept in a week. Maybe they should have left a broom in closet along with iron. We did not receive a welcome basket. We never met the manger past him a couple of times but he never introduced himself or asked if everything was alright. We had a one bedroom we did not have a kitchen as I do not think anyone should have to cook on vacation. However we did miss being able to have coffee in our room as the restaurant did not open until 8:00 and if you tell the staff is so nice they will serve you anyway I will disagree again! I tried she let me sit at a table at Sunset cafe from 7:20 until 7:55 while two mwn sat at the cafe having a cup. We never received two messages left at the desk. And was never offered any info of what to do, I have to admitt though after the first day we did not spend alot of time there.<BR>In my opinion the photo's at TBR are not recent nor accurate. The beach used to be nice. My post is stated for a reason so that people are not as stupid as I was to let any board on the internet strongly influence your vacation destination without the full research. As for the negitive posts regarding TBR they are a matter of opinion and should be weighed as strongly as the positive ones. People have different standards. When I posted first about my trip it did not take long for the manager to e-mail me expressing his unhappiness with my report and wished we would have said something while I was there. He offered an adjustment.<BR>And asked if I would remove my post.So I quess thats how it works!!<BR>We kindly replied that we got what we paid for and he could not have fixed the beach etc.<BR>It is good to hear everyones opinions but everyone must do their own research. I do have regrets but can only blame myself.<BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:32 PM
JMM

ML:<BR>I really think you should stick to 5* resorts-Your expectations seem rather high - why should staff serve you before the restaurant opens? why should the resort volunteer to tell you about excursions - they dont supply them. Did you ask at the desk - I am sure they would have referred you to one of the tour companies? If you had complaints while you were there - why did you not bring them up with management? I am amazed the manger offered you restitution some sort and yet you keep bad mouthing the place. At least you admitted the beach was out of their control. And I still dont understand why you found it so awful - like I said earlier I actually have mobility problems and could get passed the rocky zone with only minor difficulties. We have snorkeled at many places Hawaii,other caribbean islands and while I dont think the snorkeling was say as good as the T&C or Virgin Gorda - it was as good as St Martin or Barbados or Cuba or Grenada.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:19 PM
ML

JMM<BR><BR><BR>I did not expect the hotel TBR staff <BR>to arrange anything for us, however some of the posts rave about the staff and how helpful they were in these areas as well the dinner reservations that were made for them by the staff. That was not the case with us. I did not expect a concierge but the way they go on about the staff, there was one person always ( very nice ) at the desk, the waitress, and a manager I never met. <BR>Regarding the coffee it was my first morning. You know what the Sunset Cafe looks like so I sat at one of the tables. There were two men drinking coffee the brewer was within my sight,she knew I was a new quest,it was my first morning and I did not realize that I could not get a cup of coffee until eight. <BR>I waited patiently while trying to figure out who the two men were that seemed to be so special. My husband met me at at 7:55 and we recieved an early cup of coffee. <BR>The manager e-mailed back about the restaurant and a dinner we did not enjoy. He asked why we did no complain and mentioned the waitress had said how generous we were. I explained because we did not enjoy the a meal we do not expect to be compensated. We had nice service so we pay our bill tip our waiter and do not return. My husband did not care for the menu and how his dinner was prepared. It can happen. The manager could not have changed chefs or the menu and there were plenty of good restuarants in St Kitts. We adjusted to our surrounding the second day as we rented a car for the week and toured the Island ,went to Nevis. My husband would not switch hotels because we already paid and it was a package and honestly we did not know where to go. We did not complain <BR>there was no upgrade for us we thought all the rooms were probably the same. <BR>Also, the manger might be a very nice man but his interest was in me removing my post. <BR><BR>Regards,<BR>ML

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:43 PM
ML

Hi JMM, <BR><BR>Also I said a few still snorkel at Frigate bay my husband did once but it was better at Friars. I said the beach was OK for snorkeling but not for beach bums, and also I only say something if I read something first.<BR>I do not initiate a bad post on TBR.<BR>I did give a small trip report regarding the beach & bad meal at Sunset cafe, never mentoned the room etc. Really needed to state my opinion<BR>to www.geograhia.com newsboard. I am not trying to be nasty just honest. I wonder who inputs all the posts on that board. <BR><BR>ML

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:21 AM
JDS

Mary Lynn<BR><BR>Your last posting confused me. "I wonder who inputs all the posts on that board." You post your opinions all the time on the board, there is not someone on the sidelines "inputting" the posts. It appears you are insinuating that someone filters these postings, or that perhaps they are posted by owners of some of the places spoken about and are not true postings from those who have stayed there. <BR><BR>Some of the few owners who post on the board are Bill who owns a suite at TBR, Anne who owns a condo at Island Paradise and John A. who owns Half Moon Villa. There may be others, but they post often. They do not rant and rave about their places and bad mouth others, they only recommend their place as an option when an inquiry is made.<BR><BR>JMM hit it right on the money, I believe. You should have gone to one of the Plantation Inns to get top notch service at top notch prices. Or maybe the Four Seasons on Nevis where young Nevisians are tasked with the wonderful "high" paying job of spritzing you with Evian water while you lay out in the sun and ready to bow to your every wish. Of course, that will cost you though, about $400-$700.00+ a night not including meals, but I betcha they would give you a $6.00 coffee at 5:30 am if you wanted one.<BR><BR>The Manager, Richard Boone (manger as you referred to him)at TBR is a fine man who takes great care of his guests when he is summoned to do so. Noone should expect employees to walk up to them and say "what do you want to do today; here is the list of excursions". That information is in the office in a binder if you had inquired, and is like that at every place to stay on the island. And why should he introduce himself to every guest and personally ask you if everything was to your liking? He runs the place and is a very busy man who has to ensure rooms are ready and all is in working order, enough food is available in the restaurant, and more importantly, make sure he has enough staff available. Do you insits on meeting the managers of every resort you go to?<BR><BR>I commend Richard for offering you some sort of restitution. It is sad he felt he had to do so to keep your lips closed. All the rooms are not the same; there are quite the variety of rooms which would appeal to anyone else but you apparently.<BR><BR>And almost lastly, how can you say that you have not initiated bad postings on the resort? What do you call them, nice postings? Saying that you just don't want anyone else to be that stupid is and insult to the resort and anyone who wants to go there. You treated the resort with disrespect and are passing along information to prospective travelers that is unfair.<BR><BR>Almost almost lastly: Out of the numerous postings regarding TBR on the newsgroup, the Where to Stay board, and here, you are one of only a few who have had negative things to say.<BR><BR>ANd finally: People, TBR is a nice resort, very clean and very accomodating. It is not a full service resort with a ton of activities and is not all inclusive. The price is very reasonable and the views are outstanding. Unless you are expecting special treatment, you will not be disappointed with the place. The pictures on the website are as accurate as if you were there. So the beach is a little rocky at first, so what. http://www.timothybeach.com/

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Anon

Answer to ML's question: Honest, NORMAL, people

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:10 AM
ML

Reading the newsboard I have seen one of the owners e-mail, defending Timmothy Beach Resort for some robberies at the resort. Then I read a e-mail from the owner ( same address )regarding TBR. not mentioning their ownership. There was a posting that indicated there were several people that post on that board have a vested interest in certain areas and do not like negitive reviews. I went back far enough. It is only what I read.<BR>And Again regarding the staff at TBR. My comments were written because other reviews raved about the staff. I did not agree. Didn't really care. But the things I read about were not offered. <BR>So I made the comments. And now you say it's not a five star and they really don't exist. So these positive posts were false. I did not complain to management about the staff just to people that insist you get 4-5 star service. What welcome basket? immaculate rooms?? Dinner reservation<BR>etc, And if you would read all my posts from the beginning you will find my problem started with the beach and the posts that raved about it. The biggest disappointment!! And as for the other negitive posts on the newsboard they also were very disappointed in the beach and not at TBR, my impression was they thought it was adequte. I also posted this. <BR>When I first posted a negitive report regarding the beach it was like taking the lid off a can. <BR>And I do not always stay at five star resorts but in the morning you can usually get a cup from the lobby <BR>(complementary ) very early. And before my posts there have been many service issues at the Sunset Cafe.<BR><BR>And what are you about "disrespect" a resort. What does that mean ????? It's a resort! And my posts are fair, other may gain some insight from this so they do not go and come back disappointed and give the place more negitive feed back. That is what some of the locals expressed to me. People should know the beach is not nice <BR>but that the Marriott may fix it with the help of the country. It may just be beautiful again.<BR>And as far as our visit to St Kitts read all my posts the resaurants were great,the people were wonderful,the boat trip was great on the Spirt of St Kitts and the Island was beautiful. I did not like Timmothy Beach or Frigate bay!! My opinion. <BR><BR>This post started with information needed regarding the beach in TBR. Why do you think the cruise ships told there quests not to go there last March??? (2002) My only post about.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Doug

I just want to reply once to ML's 30 or so negative posts about TBR on this forum and on Geographia. Our family stayed at TBR in February, had a marvelous time and found the staff and the resort to be nothing short of fabulous. We spent many happy hours snorkling just steps from our room, and the beach was more than adequate. We would recommend TBR to anyone who does not require 24 hour coddling from a $500 5-star hotel. We have no financial interest in TBR, but would return in a heartbeat.<BR>OK, ML, we're ready for your 31st attack.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:20 AM
winc4

Shut-up ML!!!!!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:51 AM
JMM

ML:<BR>Original Post in this thread from ML:<BR>"We were there in July 2002 and were very disappointed in the beach and the <BR>resort ! "<BR>Another quote from her:<BR>"I do not initiate a bad post on TBR."<BR>ML - It certainly seems like you did just that.<BR>A list of ML's complaints:<BR>1.Beach was a disapointment -fair enough - although many others think it was OK but with a rocky entry. It certainly is pretty.<BR>2.Room was large,dreary and not immaculate (oddly enough her major complaint re: cleanliness is that the balcony was not swept - personally not high on my list cleanliness requirements) - well dreary is defintely an opinion - our room was large and bright and very clean.<BR>3.She did not receive a welcome basket - what led her to believe she would receive one (I regularly stay caribbean hotels and have yet to receive a welcome basket)<BR>4.The manger did not introduce himself - does she think the manager of the Hilton would introduce himself to her?<BR>5.The restaurant did not open before its hours of operation (the info supplied in the room stated that it opened at 8AM and I am sure the front desk could have told her the hours) <BR>6. She did not like the louge chairs - a matter of opinion I thought they were fine and in good repair. <BR>7..She was never offered info on what to do - there is a binder at the front desk with info. <BR>Yet with all these "horrendous" problems (and I am being sarcastic) - she did not complain AT THE RESORT but waited till she got home to bad mouth the resort over the internet.<BR>Speaking of being suspicious of the motives of posters - at first I wasn't and just assumed that the place was not for her and that she just expected too much.<BR>BTW - We just took our first trip to TBR and St, Kitt's in April but we have been all over the caribbean and in my personal opinion the service level at TBR was about the best we have received for a 3 star hotel. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 10:57 AM
ML

There were hardly thirty, but glad you read them all ! Now go attack someone elses opinion!!! This is too silly.<BR> <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -