Reload this Page >

Beach Belongings in St. John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Daniel

Is it generally safe to leave stuff on the the beaches in St. John while snorkeling (backpack, keys, towels, sunblock, etc.) without anyone bothering them? Any particular beach with this type of problem? Do any beaches have lockers of some sort? I and those I will be traveling with plan to spend alot of time in those beautiful waters. Any information is appreciated.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 11:30 PM
xxx

Common sense would dictate that this is just foolish!! A seasoned traveler knows better than to ever leave there belongings somewhere unsecured, it is open season as of easter weekend for tourism and all the not so pleasant aspects of traveling....

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Debra

When we went to the beach, but we didn't leave any valuables out in the open. Things like towels andsun block are easily replaced. What kind of key will you have? If it's for a rental car, leave the back pack hidden inside the car. We went in August, and there hardly any other people so we felt a little more secure with leaving out an inexpensive radio.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Donna

What I do when I snorkel is wear one of those waterproof fanny packs. I can carry my keys, money and drivers license in it while I snorkel and nothing gets wet and nothing is on the beach that someone can steal - except my towel. If they're that desparate they can have the towel!!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Daniel

Thanks Donna and Debra! Your input was very helpful. I went ahead and ordered small waterproof cases to hold money and keys. I honestly never thought of something like that but thanks to you I now do. You're right, if they are desperate for the towels, they can have 'em. Can't wait to get to St. John in three weeks!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Jack

If you will be useing a rental - - be cautious and not leave anything valuable in the trunk - the trunk locks are notoriously easy to defeat on thecars they use in the VI.<BR> Try Brewers Bay at the east end of the Island - have a great time.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Cara

Where do you buy a water proof fanny pack? Such a great idea I never thought of either. We have those little tubes but they hold very little.<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Shari

My boyfriend bought me an "Otter Box" for Christmas and we used it this year. It was GREAT! Completely waterproof.<BR><BR>Check for them at<BR><BR>www.diversdirect.com

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Mike

My wife and I have been to St. John many times and never saw a problem. (But we never left our gear unattended). We've been on beaches with only a couple of other people and seen them leave their stuff for hours, while they swam around the point. It was there when they got back.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:55 PM
linda

Hi Daniel,<BR> We got our fanny packs online at carribeancharlies.com They are small and rectangular (not bulky) have 2 compartments and a really good secure belt. We use em every time!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Donna

You can buy one of those waterproof fanny packs at places like REI or even Cabellas - look for an outdoors gear place or someplace like that. There are a few of the Coleman stores that may have them also. Look in the areas where they sell summer camping gear like cookers, tents and canoes. Good luck!! PS I'm heading to St John in just 6 days. I can hardly wait!!!!!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Daniel

Thank you all for your replies! I ended up buying one Keep-Safe and one Surf-Safe small storage containers at Fishcards.com Very inexpensive and perfect to carry a little money, i.d., credit card and keys. It's perfect for when we're out snorkeling. And to think I almost left home without something like this. I'm really glad I asked the question. Thanks again!

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:11 AM
pete

When we were there (in April), the beaches were not very crowded, and we left our stuff (not valuable stuff--towels, books, cooler, suntan lotion etc) on the beach. There wasn't anyone sitting within 200 feet of us so we could easily see from the water if anyone approached our area.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 01:51 PM
Cara

Linda, I tried the site you sent for Caribbean Charlies waterproof fanny pack but the site doesn't seem to work for ordering. Even their email address doesn't work. When did you buy yours? Thanks.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:28 PM
linda

Cara,<BR> I remember having trouble with the site, too. I called them!

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:58 PM
Cara

Thanks Linda! Actually I realized when I looked for the # that Caribbean Charlies is in St.Thomas which is where we'll be on Friday. Hopefully we can pick one up there. A water proof fanny pack is such a great idea. I've called many scuba shops but they only have the hard cases.