Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Bars/restaurants walking distance from Westin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Kelly

I read one posting that said you need to cab it to bars/restaurants from the Westin and another that said there was nothing to do at night at the Westin. Is that true? I was under the impression it was close to town. <BR> <BR>Also, what is the average daily price to rent a jeep? Thanks.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:11 AM
tim

Kelley, <BR>What island are you talking about? If it is St. John then you need to take a cab due to hills and no sidewalks. The cab ride is literally 3-5 minutes and costs $4. There is a good amount to do in Cruz Bay. We didn't spend too much time at the Westin day or night since there is so much else to see on St. John. <BR> <BR>As far as jeep rentals at the Westin about 450-$60/day. Renting in Cruz Bay is $10 to $15 less than the hotel rentals and easy to do.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:53 PM
ksdhf

Which Westin? At Westin Puerto Rico you need a car. It is like a resort. <BR> <BR>Rent the car taxis are expensives.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 06:56 PM
ezron

Tim is right, the Westin St. John is close to Cruz Bay but you definately don't want to walk it. A cab is easy to get but IF you have a jeep, you can come and go as you please AND you'll want to have a jeep to explore the great beaches of SJ during the day. And no, the Westin does not have any nightlife to speak of, Cruz Bay is where you want to be at night. Remember though, half the fun is driving from one beautiful locale to the next.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:31 AM
pete

you may want to cab into Cruz Bay (on St. John) at night even if you rent the jeep. You drive on the right side of the road on St. John, and that, plus all the hills can leave you pretty confused if you try to drive it after a couple of drinks.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:33 AM
pete

oops, I meant that you drive on the LEFT side of the road (opposite the US). It can be disconcerting (but not difficult), however when you add that in with the steep roads in the dark, plus a few drinks, the results are not good.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:13 AM
Kelly

Sorry, I'm asking about the Westin on Grand Cayman.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:45 PM
Lori

Kelly, <BR> <BR>Eats Cafe is accross the street from the Westin.... great place for breakfast and dinners (burgers, pasta, etc.) Very affordable. <BR> <BR>Lone Star Bar is close by....fun bar and the best mushroom & swiss burgers on the island. <BR> <BR>Reef Grill is close by as well.... expensive but worth every penny - try the sea bass!!!! The Royal Palms is also by the Reef Grill (owned by same company i think) Live bands on certain night and dancing and drinking under the stars (open air bar).... great place for some tropical rum drinks in the afternoon as well while your "beaching it".... <BR> <BR>Raguzzi is also close by.... itallian food and rave reviews (haven't been there but will try it next month when I visit) <BR> <BR>Not so close by but you can take a cab to and are worthwile are The Crowes Nest. This is a local restaurant, with very personal service and delicious food. Also, in Georgetown try the Wharf - expensive but very romantic with open air/under the stars dining oceanside. Also, you MUST go to Restarante Casonova's - our best meal on the island - itallian, small, intimate and busy - it was great and the prices where not that bad. <BR> <BR>Hope that helps and have a great time. <BR> <BR>Lori

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:16 PM
freewoman

Rent a jeep. The Westin is too far away to try all the great restaurants and besides the island is easy to drive around and explore (just remember to drive on the left). I don't know about daily rates, because I always rent for the week. When I was there in May I paid $234 for 7 days. I usually rent from Thrifty at the airport.