Bahamas: Hopetown and Green Turtle Cay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to finalize my trip after trying to get educated about the Bahamas and have kind of settled on spending half my trip in Hopetown and the other half in GTC. Just wondering if the two places are diverse enough or if someone else has another suggestion. We are looking for beautiful beaches, clear waters, paddle boarding, snorkeling and experiencing the culture of the Bahamas. We'd love to hear some live music at night and go on a guided tour led by a local to hear about the medicinal plants I've read about. We definitely don't want to rent a car but would prefer to walk, bike or golf cart around. Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 07:25 PM

You are probably not going to get much feedback on the out islands here- your best info (if you have not already been there) will be on www.abacoforum.com.
I have been to both, several times, and love both- they are different from each other and you will have a great time; however, combining these two is more difficult logistically than the mere geographical closeness indicates. There is no ferry linking the two so you have to leave Hopetown, take a ferry to marsh Harbour, take a cab for @ $90 to Treasure Cay and take another ferry to GTC which will eat up a significant portion of one of your vacation days. It is doable but if you have only a week it is something to consider- if you have a longer vacation, then do it.
ON both islands, the mode of transportation is golfcart, bike, boat or foot- no cars to rent. Sorry, don't know anything about medicinal plants. There are interesting small museums on both with local history, many friendly and interesting locals, etc.
Hopetown seems to draw alot of tourists these days so GTC is going to feel "less traveled" and more authentically Bahamian- in my opinion. There is plenty to love in both places though.
Old Jun 27th, 2014, 07:37 PM

oops!
Been out of town and have not read this forum in a while- after I sent this reply I saw your earlier query about the Bahamas and saw that some of the out island lovers who have GREAT advice had already responded to you. You can't go wrong with their advice. Happy travels!