Avoiding cruise ship shoppers

May 22nd, 2001, 03:20 PM
shari

Avoiding cruise ship shoppers

I've seen a couple of warnings about avoiding the "cruisers" when they hit Georgetown to shop. When is the best time to shop and not be overwhelmed by the disembarking masses?

May 23rd, 2001, 08:18 AM
Bob

If you are referring to Grand Cayman, check out the port authority cruise ship schedule at www.caymanport.com

Click on 'cruise ships' near the top right. Select your month and you can see what ships are in. If you click on
a ship, you can see how many passengers it holds, when it is in port, etc.

Bob

May 24th, 2001, 06:45 AM
CJ

Bob, great tip on the schedule. I wish I'd known that before my trip.

Shari, contrary to what people say, even when the ship is in it's not unbearable. The ships dock early (7-8am) and many cruisers head for scheduled tours, plus parking is not affected. One thing I noticed is Georgetown closes early (5pm or so) during the week & most places are closed on Sunday so you'll have to shop during the day. There is a wonderful shop located just outside GT (past Hard Rock), it's a purple house and called something Gallery (sorry, bad memory). Unique & good gifts for your money.

May 25th, 2001, 04:06 AM
Geoff

Sorry to say my experience is different. My advice is to stay out of Georgetown in the a.m. especially if you're driving because they'll walk out right in front of you without looking. It was like trying to drive thru cows with cameras. They're trying to make the most of their few hours; as a rule, several of the ships set sail around lunch time & the crowds thin out.

May 25th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Sipry

We've been going to GC for a long time and always avoid going in to Georgetown when the ships are in - if possible. If you don't have any choice, it will just be a different experience. If you don't mind terrible traffic, people wall to wall, having trouble getting watied on in shops, you own't mind going in when the ships are in. The last time we were on GC (inMarch), there were 2 days that the ships could not come in due to rough water - We went into town and it was WONDERFUL -The shops were empty, it was quiet - it was great. Have fun! Sipry