Search

atm or traveler's checks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM
ljs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atm or traveler's checks

I am going to St. Maartens from the US and i was wondering if it is better to use Atm's for cash or bring travelers check
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM

Traveler's checks are fast becomming extinct, like the dinosaur. You are better off using ATM's, they are all over the island.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM

The ATM's on the island dispense USD's or euros? Someone said use USD's almost everywhere to get the best price advantage. Are American travelers cheques accepted as readily? What is the risk of getting mugged in St. Martin if you stay out of the wrong places at night?
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:20 AM

The ATMs I've encountered dispensed both -- you choose whether you want Euros or USD.

There are some places that take dollars 1:1 with Euros when you pay cash, but as the dollar has declined, the number of places that do that has also declined. I usually carry some cash for those places, but do most of my spending using a credit card.

St. Maarten is a busy destination, not unlike an American city -- would you go wandering around after dark in the "wrong" places in New York? You can't let your guard completely down just because you're on vacation. Be aware of your surroundings just as you would be anywhere else.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Using credit cards on the French side usually results in hefty foreign transaction fees from the issuing bank. Capital One is the best card to use.

I found that the exchange rate for dollars in the restaurants and stores was almost always better than the rate the banks were offering for converting to Euros. Some places it was 1.1. This was in November. So, I used dollars for everything except the rental car because they charged me in dollars even though they were on the French side.

I did bring traveler's checks as a backup in case my credit card was declined. This has happened to me on several trips when the bank sees "unusual" charges in many different locations. I even called my bank before leaving home to tell them I'd be traveling but the person I talked to did not reassure me.

For ATMs, I used the ones at the Scotia Banks on the Dutch side. They do not charge Bank of America customers any fee. Check with your bank and find out who they might have reciprocal agreements with on Saint Maarten.