Are certain destinations cheaper to fly into?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Andrea

Are certain destinations cheaper to fly into?

We're planning a trip the 1st or 2nd week of Dec. & are considering the Caribbean. Airfare will be one of the major deciding factors in choosing our destination. Are there certain destinations in the Caribbean that are generally more or less expensive to fly into from the US?

One couple will be flying from Raleigh, North Carolina, one from Portland, Oregon.
I realize that this is a hopelessly vague question, that airfare prices can fluctuate all the time, are based on demand for a given flight, etc. At the same time, I can say, for example, that from Shanghai, where I live, airfare is always cheaper to Bangkok than Singapore, and flights to Japan are more expensive than almost any other Asian destination, on par with airfares to Europe.

So, any general guidelines? Thank you!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Steph

Andrea, my experience from checking airfare to various Caribbean locations including the US & British Virgin Islands, Grand Cayman, Provodenciales, Turks & Caicos, St. Maarten, Anguilla, St. Barths, Nevis, Aruba, and Bahamas - Freeport, Nassau & the out islands is that almost consistently airfare to the Bahamas (Freeport or Nassau) is the cheapest. We discovered that it's not too bad to fly one airline to Fort Lauderdale or Miami and take a smaller airline to N. Eleuthera or Abaco Islands in the Bahamas Out-Islands either. This is of course from where I live in the midwest, I don't know about from other airports. Generally for many of the other islands south of the Bahamas/Turks & Caicos you would fly into San Juan first and then onto the island of choice from there. You avoid this going to the Bahamas - maybe the reason it's cheaper.

Good Luck!

Good Luck

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:34 AM
q

Airfare to the Bahamas would be the least expensive. For anyplace south of the BAhamas airfare to Puerto RIco would be the least expensive.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:02 PM
cdt

From where we live (NE), fares to Montego Bay are consistently cheaper than anyplace else except Bahamas and sometimes San Juan.

Sometimes St. Thomas isn't too bad (more competition than most).

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Nancy

Hi, We live in Raleigh, NC also. The least expensive fares I see are:
San Juan
Dominican Republic
Bahamas (not in the Caribbean)
Cancun
Jamaica
Aruba
Generally, the places with more hotels seem to have the lowest fares...
Of course, anyplace you go where you can fly direct will usually be the least expensive also, ergo San Juan et al.