Reload this Page >

Anyone heard of VIEQUES???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 11:18 AM
Craig

We are planning a stay in San Juan at the end of May and during my researching of Puerto Rico, the small island of Vieques keeps popping up. Are you able to reach this island from Puerto Rico and what are the times??? I would like to go over late afternoon and return later in the same evening so that we could possibly snorkel in the bioluminescent bay. Thanks for any help!! <BR> <BR>Craig

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 04:11 PM
bob cook

<BR>try this web site:www.enchanted-isle.com

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 04:12 PM
bob cook

<BR>try this web site:www.enchanted-isle.com

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 04:24 PM
bob cook

forgot to put this in my previous reply!april 1999 issue of travel&leisure magazine(starting on page 196)has a terrific article on vieques. if you can't find,email me and i'll fax you a copy of the article,if you have access to a fax machine. <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 07:57 PM
Louis

To answer your specific questions. It will not be possible to go over in the late afternoon and return in the evening after visiting the bioluminescent Bay. You will have to stay over night in Vieques. The best way to get there is with Vieques Air Link that has several daily flights from Fajardo, Isla Grande Airport and the Intl Airport. They range in price from $35 RT from Fajardo to $98 RT from Intl Airport. The best deal is from Isla Grande Airport at $70 RT if you are not staying near Fijardo. Vieques is not an ideal 1 day visit. You need a car to get to much of anywhere and the best beaches are on US military property accessable by car only. If you really want to see the bioluminescent bay which is the best in the Puerto Rico, then plan to spent the night. The Casa Francis is an interesting old place to stay if it is still operating. There are no luxury resorts or accommodations on Vieques. Everything is modest at best and it is priced accordingly. Food is basic but good.

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 09:26 AM
Barb

agree with Louis. Casa Francis is best place, there are others, small, you can get some places to get you from airport, go in early morning, walk the beaches, do the bay boat cruising in evening, and leave next morning. It is wonderful. PLACE YOU MUST EAT IN SAN JUAN (isla verde area): Atlantica <BR>BEST MEAL, BEST FISH, SERVICE EXCELLENT, VALET PARKING, can't say enough about it...went there 3 times during 2x trips to SJ. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GO TO EL YUENQUE (sp?) rainforest, only one in National Park Service...beautiful... <BR>HAVE GREAT TIME!!! <BR>

Old May 1st, 1999, 08:06 PM
Diane

There are two very lovely places to stay on Vieques: Inn on the Blue Horizon, and Hacienda Tamarindo. They are close to upscale as you will find. (And happen to be next to each other)The restaurant at the Inn on the Blue Horizon is exceptional. <BR> <BR>I don't believe you can snorkel in the bio-luminiscent bay. The most amazing effects are what you see when millions of sparkles cascade over your arms as you tred water. You'll also set off soft blue-green glows as you move through the water. It is unlike anything you've ever seen before, and worth spending a night in Vieques to do it! You can stay inexpensively at Casa del Frances or at the Tradewinds. Both have good restaurants. Vieques is very laid back and quiet compared to San Juan. Do check out the website Louis mentioned, also www.biobay.com for more information & pictures of the bioluminescent bay.

Old May 2nd, 1999, 03:24 PM
Maira

Craig---- Vieques and Culebra are two small islands about 4 miles off the east coast of PR. Beautiful beaches highly conducive to relaxation are the best feature these locations have to offer to the tourist. Both islands were hit hard by Hurricane George, but the resilience of the inhabitants is shown on how quick they have been able to get going again. All basic utilities services are up and running. There is a ferry you can take very early in the AM (9am?) from Puerto Real in Fajardo. It is a much cheaper alternative than flying and you can take your car with you. If tyou plan on doing this, e-mail me and I'll give you some hints on how to do this almost pain-free. <BR> <BR>BTW, the scarcity of snorkelers in the bioluminiscent area has contributed to its longevity. It'll be nice to keep it that way. They are plenty of amazing snorkeling options in PR. I have posted information about snorkeling in PR on this forum. If you search the PR topics, I am sure you'll find it. I grew up in PR. My grandma still lives in Fajardo. I will be delighted to help you. Have the best time!