Anyone been to Puerto Plata?

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Chantal

Anyone been to Puerto Plata?

Hello all,

I'm just about to book a trip to Playa Naco, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic in November. Anyone been there before? How was it? I'm hoping for nice beach, quiet and safe.

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Parrot Mom

Sorry,Puerta Plata was my least favorite spot in the D.R. Last year we were in Punta Cana, the year before in La Romana, this coming winter to Boca Chica and several years back we vacationed in Santo Domingo three years in a row.. The beach in Puerta Plata was filthy compared to La Romana and Punta Cana..and the resorts much nicer.. For more info and pictures of the resorts we went to please write..

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 03:10 PM
tivertonhouse

I concur with sentiments above. Go to Samanna Peninsula ,off the beaten track,maybe even the smallish Club Med rather than the huge Bavarro places in Punta Cana -- anywhere BUT
Sosua or Puerto Plata.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Parrot Mom

For the best information on the D.R. go to..
www.debbiesdominicantravel.com

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:57 PM
d motl

Did it once--never again. The prices are attractive but you can get just as good a deal at Negril or Isla Mujeres.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:53 AM
Chantal

Many thanks to everyone for their feedback on Puerto Plata, I'm seriously considering not going anymore.

Cheers.

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 08:01 AM
mike

been 2 puerto plata twice.one time at playa naco,ounce at dorado club close by.resorts r good,lots of canadians and english,food is good.the beach is good,not as pretty as punta cana but more nightlife and better excursions and more interaction with locals.15 min 2 puerta plata 4 shopping and tours,also there is a plaza in the resort.as 4 filth i guess u can find it if u go looking.try it!

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 09:56 PM
jenny

Is it D.R. in general that you wouldn't recommend or just Puerto Plata? I'm too looking for a vacation spot in the Caribbean in late Nov. I'm on a budget and don't want to spend too much on this trip. I was thinking about Punta Cana or Puerto Rico. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks for your feedback.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Parrot Mom

Punta Cana is great...we stayed at the Catalonia Bavaro and thoroughly enjoyed it. For more info and pictures please write..

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 05:54 PM
jax

I spent a week in Cabarete, 20 miles east of Puerto Plata and had a great time! I found a 3BR townhouse in the newspaper for $600 for the whole week. We were 10 steps from our own secluded beach. Lots of Europeans there. Cabarete is the wind surfing capital of the world! So I had to try it. The winds picked up, I came in, and all these incredible surfers went out to do flips!! Because of the heavy European influence, there are great restaurants: Italian, French. We would walk 5 minutes down the beach to a breakfast joint and get a TON of food for roughly $2.50 American. I would go again in an instant. Although the diving wasn't that spectacular, I did see my first octypus!