Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

ANYONE BEEN TO GRAND CAYMAN IN SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:27 AM
Susan

My husband and I have finally decided to visit the Cayman Islands, and are choosing Grand Cayman Islands.

I know September & October is still hurricane season, but what is the overall weather like there?

We will be going either

9/28 - 10/5

or

10/26 - 11/2

I know that no one can predict a hurricane, but in terms of general weather...will we be sorry?

Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:11 AM
JEN

We went on a cruise last sept from the 21-27 and Grand Cayman was our first stop. The weather was awesome! Very sunny and warm in 80-90 degree range. Water was very warm, we did the stingray city tour, and it was wonderful day for it!

Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:24 AM
alison

As the saying goes, you pay your money and you take your choice. If the winds and hurricanes hold off, the weather is great. We went to Jamaica in October and had 4 days of great weather. But Sept / Oct is in the middle of hurricane season so you are taking a chance. If you don't want to take that chance, go further south to Aruba or the Grenadine islands, like Grenada. Hope you have a great time

Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:56 PM
vicki

I live in Grand Cayman, and the weather is a crapshoot at that time of year. We're in hurricane season, so depending on how busy it is, you could have pouring rain or sunny skies. It will certainly be hot if it's sunny - prepare for 85-90 degree temperatures in the day with about 90% humidity. If you like the idea of diving/snorkeling, it doesn't matter about the rain. So saying, it's been pretty mild so far for a hurricane season - not much rain to speak of. September/October tends to be more active, but take a chance. Who can really predict the weather?

Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:41 AM
Jennine

My family vacations the first week of August every year.
Would this also be risky for weather, or would I be beating the hurricane season?
Really would love to see the Caymans!!

Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:11 AM
cayman420

I have been to cayman in the fall and the weather is a crap shoot. I was in Cayman during hurricane gilbert and it was terrible. On the other hand I have been to cayman for pirates week 8 times and have had great weather. Pirates week is always held the last two weeks of october.
GOOD LUCK!