Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Any Caribbean resorts for a family with 4 kids under 9?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:59 PM
Mark

I'm having difficulty finding a place to take my wife and four daughters (ages 4-9) for a holiday in Feb.2001. Our agent mentioned a Club Maeva in Manzanilla, Mexico, but some of the other chat messages don't seem to be very much in favour of that segment of Mexico. I am more interested in the Caribbean, particularly Cuba. <BR> <BR>According to our agent, most resorts will take up to five people per room/suite/lodging, and those resorts with adjoining rooms will not guarantee that we will get two rooms side-by-side. Grrrr. <BR> <BR>It's frustrating to see places advertise for kids' programs, and then indicate that lodging is available only for families with one child. I'm not so much interested in a place that has a great kid's program, but in a place that is welcoming to families of six people. Do they exist? <BR> <BR>Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks! <BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 03:42 AM
Bill

<BR>Yes, They do exist! Timothy Beach Resort in St. Kitts. TBR has 2bdrm units that will fit your needs. Timothy Beach Resort is the only resort on the calm caribbean beach. www.timothybeachresort.com <BR>(869)465-8597

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Eileen

I recommend La Cabana Beach Resort in Aruba. They have condo-style accommodations with kitchenettes and I believe they have 2 BR condos and also a kids program. Aruba is friendly, safe, clean and the beaches are beautiful (went last March). www.lacabana.com

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 01:49 PM
Marguerite

Hi Mark, <BR> <BR> We took our 2 daughters 10 & 12 to Cancun a few years ago. Actually our favorite place was the NaBalam Hotel (only 31 rooms or so, obviously not a resort) on the island of Isla Mujeres (8 miles off of Cancun). Its a 20 minute jet boat ride that goes every 30 minutes for $3 or $4. The beach is perfect and the water real calm for kids. They can walk out for a long ways without undertow worries. We simply loved it. They have a snack bar on the beach that we ate at most of the time. Good food for the kids and reasonable too. They also have swings for chairs on the beach at the snack bar. They also have a fancy restaurant with a limited menu. We also just jumped on a boat for a quick snorkle trip. The price was great, about $140 a night for the four of us in January. There is also a theme type park called Xcaret that the kids would love. It is about an hour south of Cancun. *My kids swam with dolphins (about $55 each, but well worth it). <BR> Check with them how they would accomodate your family. They are very pleasant people. My daughter left her homework there and they found it and mailed it to us. Look at their website at www.nabalam.com. Email me with any questions. <BR> This is a very low key place. Bring your balls and sandtoys and they'll love it. They do have a smaller pool, but we never used it since the water was so calm and shallow. <BR> <BR>Good luck

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 01:53 PM
Marguerite

I forgot to mention that if you stay there stay in the rooms on the beach side of the road. There is a small road which separates the newer and older rooms. I'm not sure which rooms were newer or older, but the location was nicer on the beach side. The pool was on the other side (but not heated if I recall and not needed.)*The road is a very very small dirt/sand road with almost non existent traffic. So don't think its a highway.

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Mark

Thanks for your thoughts. The websites certainly make these three places look interesting. Timothy Beach looks peaceful and quiet and laidback. NaBalam has a link to a site where people can join in a chat line about the Isla Mejures, and seems to be a bit of a party area. Any thoughts on that supposition? <BR> <BR>Has anybody been to TimothyBeach? If so, what can you tell me about it from a visitor's point of view? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR>Mark