Search

Ants???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ants???

Are ants pretty much in every room? Just wondering. I have had some annoying vacations with these guys before
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Not unless thet are registered guest and are paying the daily rate!

Seriously, while ants are common in the Caribbean they don't belong in hotel rooms. If you encounter them notify management right away and have them send an exterminator. If the problem persists ask for another room or get a refund and go to a different hotel.

FYI - in the Caribbean some islands have what are know as Wood lice - the look like tiny ants but are actually termites. They occasionally make their way into the rooms but, here again, you should have the hotel exterminate them ASAP.

Please tell us what hotel you were staying at that had an over abundance of ants.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Oh, it was a B&B. And the owner acted like it was no big deal, "all homes have them here" and then she handed me a can of Raid! So I just felt like i was being a baby and didn't say anything else.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 05:56 PM

I would honestly think it would be a pretty hard thing to control in the tropics . We have had them in some rooms , then not in others .. We just squished !! I would under no circumstances ever allow anyone to fumigate my room !! I would never change rooms , nor obviously change hotels ..... Just a difference of opinion , and tolerance level I guess .
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:13 AM

I'm with Faithie on this one. I'd rather live with the ants than the bug spray. Most of the times I've seen ants in rooms is from someone (me) leaving food lying around. Even traces of crumbs on the counter, and there they are. Now, all food goes in the fridge.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:52 AM

This reminds me...another couple rented a really nice house along with my husband and I on Elbow Cay last year. We drew straws to see who would get the master bedroom (with ensuite bath and access to balcony and view). Well the other gal drew the straw. I was feeling sorry for myself - after all I was the one who did all the research and found the villa! That is, until she realized her bathroom was invaded by ants. So many that she had to use dustpan and brush to remove them. Even though she used the Raid she found under the sink, every morning there would be piles of ants. She was a real trooper though - she didn't mind much.

They are a fact of life in the tropics, no doubt about it. All food (and sweet booze etc) must be kept in the fridge or microwave. We never did figure out what it was about that bathroom that was so inviting...
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM

I would rather be with ants and be in the tropics, than not be in the tropics at all.