Search

Antigua-Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antigua-Trip Report

Ok, we are back and I finally found a few moments to do a little report! My husband and I were married on 1/31 and one huge component in our planning involved making a decision on where to spend our honeymoon!

He wanted Antigua and I was opting for St. Lucia. So, I did a search and found Galley Bay Cottages in Antigua and thought it looked great! First let me clarify because when I've asked about this place, most people mistook it for Galley Bay Cottages and Resorts. This is NOT that place!
I will elaborate in a moment! Anyway, the website was nice, but we were skeptical because we could not find any information on the place. The good thing was we found no bad reviews, so after communicating with the owners and keeping a positive perspective on the situation, off we went.

WOW! That was how we felt once we arrived at our cottage. This is a stunning property owned by a couple whose villa is at the top of a hill and they have 4 cottages nestled along the hillside that they operate. It?s kind of a B&B feel. This place has got to be the best kept secret in Antigua! The rates are amazingly affordable, even during high season, and it really felt like we got a steal. The cottage was tastefully furnished with EVERYTHING we needed, even beach mats, a cooler and a straw hat for me! The place was beautiful, in a great location and perfect for a honeymoon!

Anyway, the first night we arrived, our driver picked us up and took us to a little market. He kept stressing that we should buy bottled water and some groceries. Well since we did not know how large or small the kitchen would be, we bought a few things. Later we went back to an even nicer market and secured lots of groceries. I was able to make some delicious dishes in the fabulously equipped kitchen. We stayed in the Breeze cottage which was perched on the hillside overlooking Galley Bay with a small private beach just down the hill. The cottage had a spacious deck with a dining room table with seating for four and a comfy rocking chair. I must say though, the waters are rough at Galley Bay and we did not get in the water there once! Even the guests at Galley Bay Cottages and Resorts with beach front accommodations spent their entire time sitting in front of their cottages. Not a sole went near the water! Side note: Speaking of water?The water pressure in our shower was wonderful! I'm always excited about that when I travel. I guess I'm spoiled. Anyway, just in case anyone out there cares about that, I figured I would share it.

A couple of doors down from us was Chez Pascal a well known restaurant on the island. The owners were so sweet and made us feel very welcome. We ate there at least 3 times! Side note #2: One evening we ventured down to the resort and were turned away because my husband was not wearing a collar. Then the semi-manager proceeded to tell us that the meal was 5 courses and at least $70 per person, but that we look like rich people! He then said why not come back for lunch instead! Oh, I think that did it for my husband because he could have put on 10 more shirts with collars and we would have NEVER eaten at that place. How rude! Well, that was the first time we ate at Chez Pascal, which was, in my opinion, a much ?classier? place and after dinner we were both VERY pleased! The atmosphere was beautiful, nice music and the food was exquisite! Add to all that, the service was impeccable! We?d go there again and again!

Ok, so other then touring the island in our rented Suzuki Sidekick, we did one excursion. We took a snorkeling cruise on the Kokomo Catamaran which lasted all day for about $85. It was great. We left at 8:30/9am and did not get back until around 5. We saw every beach on the island, the crew gave us lots of history about the island and the cruise was wonderful. We docked for snorkeling and then had a great lunch of chicken, rice and peas, pasta and some other dishes I cannot recall right now, but it was very good.

On our driving tour we saw the island in its? truest essence, not the commercial touristy stuff. The island is pretty lush. The hill tops are breathtaking and provide a great view of the island. The people we encountered were very friendly and helpful. We had no problem driving on the left side of the road. I thought the EC (eastern Caribbean) currency was pretty, if money can be pretty. We visited Jolly Harbor and did a little shopping. We bought a couple of pieces of art that we can?t wait to frame. One thing we did not do was the market scene in St. John?s. I think we would have found shopping there to be a lot of fun, but by the time we made it back towards that side of the island, pretty much the shopping was over and all the vendors/stores were closed. We ate at Big Banana. It was ok. My husband asked our server where the Black Pineapple was! We?d gone to an area of the island looking for it and basically we drove right by it. Well, she brought out a huge plate of pineapple for him and it was soooo sweet and delicious. Apparently, this is something the island is known for. Now that we?re back in the states we?ve had more pineapple and of course, it did not compare.

A couple of nights it rained there and the first night just happened to be the one we decided to sleep with the window over our bed open! It was the only window in the cottage without a screen. Needless to say, I?m still trying to get rid of the blemishes left behind because I was scratching the mosquito bites. Even though we had the netting down, they really did a job on us. We even had bites on our fingers and toes! It didn?t taint the trip at all, but boy did I wish we?d left that window closed!

Alrighty, I think that will do it. I am probably missing some details, but if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them.

By the way, the website is www.galleybaycottages.com and the owners are Natalie & Peter Murphy.

Happy Travels!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 03:50 PM

Great trip report. Galley Bay Cottages sounds very much like places that we've stayed at in Bermuda, the Abacos, and St. John. I'm always looking for small cottages for future trips.

Had to be a great feeling actually seeing the cottages after doing the research.

Congratulations on your wedding.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 04:01 PM

First question. Did you get to look at the other cottages and if so what did you think of them?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:52 AM

I know Peter and Natalie very well (used to live in Antigua) - I am so pleased to hear such positive reviews about their property. The last time I saw Peter in Antigua he told me about it and mentioned the rates to me (something like US$90.00 per night?) - and you get an entire self-contained cottage for the price. After reading your report ChicagoDallasGirl, I have to say that my husband and I just might have to consider staying there the next time we are in Antigua. Thanks for the report.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

RobertoB,
Sorry for the delay. I've not been on the board much this past month. I got a glimpse into Calabash and thought it was just as nice. The cool thing about that one is you get two cottages separated by an open air deck. One cottage is simply a bedroom and bath with outdoor shower which was very appealing. There was a family staying there at the time, so it would be good if you have children or for two couples.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Dear Madam:

My fiance' and I are planning on visiting Antigua for the Christmas week. I sent an email to the Galley Bay Cottages and Natlie Murphy responded. She forwarded over a video of each cottage and a review listing you posted on Fodors on 2/27/04. You and your husband were there for your honeymoon.

I enjoyed your article and you convinced me to stay there. I am glad you guys had a great stay and were pleased with the accomodations at Galley Bay.

How was the nightlife there (lounges clubs, etc.) and the restaurants? Was it a very private resort or were there other vacation goers there?

Please let me know. Look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tricia Layne
email: [email protected]