Reload this Page >

Antigua, St. Lucia Hurricane damage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 1998, 06:19 AM
Doug

We are trying to make a decision between Sandals Antigua and Sandals St. Lucia. Somebody mentioned hurricane damage, particularly in Antigua. Does anybody have recent info on whether this is really a problem? We will be going for 1 week in February. Also, any other comments comparing the two locations would be most appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Old Dec 23rd, 1998, 10:48 AM
Leslie

Hi, we stayed at Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia and were there during hurricane "Georges", which did no damage to this resort. The larger Sandals on St. Lucia did have some flooding and the pool filled with sand from waves, but no major damage and all is back to normal. I am not sure of Antigua, they did recieve alot more of the hurricane which stayed north of St. lucia in it's track. <BR>if you would like information on Sandals Halcyon, just email me and I can help you out. We did, also visit the larger resort and liked it too. Just depends on your taste. Sandals Halcyon was more our pace and taste - very laid back, but with plenty to do. Very nice staff, awesome food at both resorts, etc. <BR> <BR>I have heard from many postings that the beaches are nicer at Antigua and the food is much better in Antigua. The beach at our resort was nice, and kept very clean -quite calm waters. And, again, the food was beyond belief. <BR>email me if you have further questions: <BR>[email protected]

Old Dec 26th, 1998, 07:45 PM
Beverly Shaffer

<BR>Dear Doug, <BR> <BR>My husband and I returned from a stay at the St. James Club on the SE Atlantic side of Antigua November 9 through 19th. Many of the resorts were just starting to reopen following Hurricane Georges. Other than some <BR>palm trees lacking their fronds, our St. James Club, which had reopened just two weeks prior to our arrival, looked great. One of the restaurants also was still being repaired at the St. James Club but we still had a choice of two others at the resort. In short, we saw minimal storm damage and the island, as a whole looked great. Some of the buildings in their capitol city, St. John's, still were boarded up for repairs, but this in no way impeded our visit to the capitol. <BR>My husband and I also toured the island and thought the beaches on the Caribbean Side (where Sandals Antigua is located) were quite beautiful. There seemed to be more turquoise-colored water on the Caribbean side of Antigua than the Atlantic side. We also stopped to look at several beaches on the Caribbean side as well as some resorts along that coast, and they all looked terrific. So don't let Hurricane Georges information discourage you, as you will not be disappointed if you pick Antigua. We certainly weren't in November! We have never visited St. Lucia before so can't offer any advice there. <BR> <BR>Beverly Shaffer <BR> <BR>P.S. Please E-Mail us if you have anymore questions [email protected]

Old Dec 27th, 1998, 12:36 PM
Betty Bogardus

Doug, I don't know about the hurricane damage because my husband and I visited Sandals St. Lucia Le Toc last year in February. We had a terrific time after a bit of a hassle to start. We had reservations for Halcyon, but were diverted to Le Toc, but ended up liking it better. We visited and ate at both resorts during our stay and the food was very good, especially The Pier and the Italian restaurants at Halcyon and the French restaurant at Le Toc. Breakfasts and lunches were good too. Be sure to make your dinner reservations for the entire week when you first arrive. They fill up fast. We weren't into the forced social fun atmosphere but no one hassled us. Snorkeling and sailing was fun. From what I hear the consistency of the Sandals between islands is pretty good, so regardless of whether you go to Antigua or St. Lucia, I am sure you will enjoy. Be sure to take a cruise to Soufriere, the Pitons, etc. Well worth the trip.

Old Dec 28th, 1998, 07:46 PM
Donna

Hi Doug, Just goy back from a 10 day cruise yesterday,we were in both Antigua and St lucia,neither of which were hit by the hurricane.Both islands were beautiful,but if I were to reccomend one it would be St. Lucia, so much to do and see ,I can't even begin to tell you. If you want to know any specifics Email me. Donna

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 05:14 AM
Leslie

hi,doug: Leslie again; on my post I made a typo. <BR> <BR>I meant to say that I've heard the beaches are better in ANTIGUA, but that the food was much better in ST. LUCIA. <BR> <BR>Now my post makes a bit more sense. <BR>