Search

Anthony's Key

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Tracey

Anthony's Key

I really want to go to Anthony's Key, but am concerned about safety. Both in regard to the Country and the Airlines. Has anyone been there recently, or have any info? Thanks!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Nancy

Tracey,<BR><BR>I would not stay there because of their captive swim with the dolphins program.<BR><BR>There are a lot of really nice resorts in Belize/Roatan, but we have not made it down that way yet.<BR><BR>I see AKR's ads in dive magazines a lot but don't know of anyone who has stayed there.<BR><BR>If you stay in the tourist areas and don't head inland, you should be just fine.<BR><BR>If you are nervous about going, you can also check out the State Dept.'s advisories on Belize/Honduras.<BR><BR>If you want great diving/snorkeling in a safe environment, Cozumel is ideal.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Tracey

Thanks Nancy for your suggestions. One of the main reasons I want to visit Anthony's Key is to do the dolphin swim with my family. Everyone should do it once.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Sandra

Tracy: My family and I are headed to AK during the February school break w/ our local dive shop. This will be our first trip to AK. My husband &amp; oldest son dive, myself &amp; youngest do not. But it sounds like AK has plenty to offer. I think if you are going w/ a group you will be fine and just stay at the resort. When do you plan to go?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Tracey

Sandra, <BR><BR>Which airline are you flying? We're thinking about March. Tracey

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Sandra

Tracey:<BR><BR>The dive shop is booking this for us. But I believe we will be flying Continental from NYC to Texas then to AK. I hope this helps. Our package includes air,hotel,food &amp; 3 dives a day. Drinks are extra.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:49 AM
lin

Nancy: we have been to AKR three years in a row and safety is not an issue there or in the town closest to it, West End. AKR is amazing, food is great, dive masters fabulous. It is a dive resort tho. As for the &quot;captive dolphins&quot; comment, AKR actually released the dolphins a number of times and they all returned. They are very strict about the dolphins and how they are handled and are very respectfull of them. I loved the swim but my husband did not -he felt that they were like &quot;trained seals&quot;. Again, this is a dive resort - not much else to do there.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:36 AM
Nancy

Lin,<BR>Although I appreciate your trying to assuage the guilt of anyone considering the SWTD's by posting AKR &quot;released their dolphins, but they all came back,&quot; you may not realize it, but once those dolphins have come to depend on humans for food, they lose their ability to hunt in the wild and will die if they do not return.<BR>I thought because I did an open ocean dive they could leave anytime they wanted to, but that was before I educated myself and found out about the dependence issue.<BR>I'm with your husband. My experience was awful and degrading, and I'm ashamed I did it. <BR>At AKR (and ANY SWTD program) they are careful with their dolphins because they are a valuable $$$ commodity and more and more countries are outlawing this practice. <BR>Once those that are at AKR die (and they will die within an average of 4 to 5 years if they make it 90 days past their horrific capture) they may not be able to get any more to rake in the $$$ off of suckers like us.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:27 PM
lin

Fair enough Nancy and respect your view - I also struggle with a bit but can honestly say that - ironically - swimming with them, hearing them and touching them really opened my eyes to what amazing creatures they are and that can't be all bad can it? Of note, my daughter was horrified that I did it and could not believe that I would &quot;pay&quot; to keep them captive. All that aside, AKR runs a good dive resort with great food and outstanding dive masters - we got to swim with a whale shark!! A number of people had luggage problems and AKR routed around and found them all replacement t-shirts, toothbrushes, dive gear, etc. until their luggage showed up. The bugs are brutal tho.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tracey,<BR>With all due respect, it's attitudes like yours ...(everyone should do it once...) in regards with swimming with dolphins that keeps this despicable practice going.<BR>Is it really worth..'doing it once' knowing that these dolphins are dying? I think not. Sadly, I guess you think otherwise.