Anthony Key Roatan Question for StanKase

Nov 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Anthony Key Roatan Question for StanKase

Hi StanKase,
I saw in another post that you have been to Anthony's Key 3 times. Have a couple questions about it but first...

We stayed at the Jaguar Reef Lodge a little down the beach from Humansi (Belize). Water along the beach is good for swimming but no snorkeling. Also, the water along the beach is not the crystal clear gorgeous water found in the islands. However, the water at the reef are the gorgeous waters and the snorkeling is very good - better than Grand Cayman but not as good as Bonaire. JRL took us to different spots along the reef.

Be sure to do other excursions (inland) which I figure Humansi offers (JRL does). They were a lot of fun and it was interesting see the country.

Questions about Anthony's Key:
1. Can you snorkel off the shore or is it all from a boat?
2. Is there a beach?
3. We also want to do land adventures - did you do any?
4. I heard the waters on the side Anthony's Key is on can get rough - any idea what they are like in March? Hope I don't regret not staying on the other side of the island.
5. Hubby & son will be diving - I don't really want to go out on dive boat with them - I'm an avid snorkeler. Would the snorkel boat trips be OK for me to go alone?
6. Did you go into town, to West Bay, or anywhere?
7. We are also staying in the Key Superior. Had to get 2 rooms which share a deck but still nervous about 22 year old son being in room alone. Am I being a silly mom?
8. Any other hints or suggestions?
Nov 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM

There is a beach in the back of the Key that is o.k. and the snorkeling off it is fair. But, theuy do a night snorkel that if you hit it right can be very interesting. The water was not rough when we went in March '07 for 8 nights. I think you know your husband and son if they want can go out up to 3 times a day snorkeling but after 2-3 days most divers do 2 dive outings. The snorlel boat is a 40 ft. comfortable boat with a driver and a boat hand and is very safe. Usually we went out with only 2-6 other guests so it was not crowded and someone on the boat watched you. There is no real jungle trekking that I know of though wwe took a driver for 2-3 hrs. around the island andit was fairly interesting.We found the snorkeling better than Bonaire and the diving as well. The West End is very close and is more for backpackers and the 25-40 age set with a number of bas and some hotels and cottage resorts and shops. It is worth an hour walking around. The Key Superior are the best rooms. Try to get #48-54 they have the better location on the key. There is no problem with your soon in the attached cabin.
You should know with the remote location the food is pretty good but do not expect much more.
Take 100% DEET and use liberally after 3-4 PM or in AM if it rained over night. The mosquitos are the only problem at AKR but that is the case at a number of Central American and Caribbean destinations.
Hope this helped.
Nov 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Need to correct myself. Snorkeling is 2 times a day for 2 hours and diving is up to 3 times. Excuse the typos but I am a "hunt and peck" typist.
Just as in Belize down to 15 ft. there is some coral cleaching but not nearly as bad as the Caribbean. The recent scientific reports say the Caribbean is 40-45% bleached whikle much of Belize and Bay Islands are 10-15%. Unfortunately it won't stay that way for too long.
I am just hoping the reek 10 miles off Hamanasi is only slightly bleached.
Did you or your husband go to Turneffe or around the Blue Hole in the last 12-18 months? If so, what is the coral bleaching condoitions at those 2 areas at 5-15 feet.
Nov 14th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info.

Turneffe or Blue Hole -- not sure where those are -- don't remember the names of the snorkel areas we went to from the JRL.

We were in Belize in March of 2006. To tell you the truth, I am always so fascinated by the fish, etc that I don't really pay much attention to the coral. The coral looked OK to me even in the shallow snorkels.

One of the neatest things was seeing the island of frigate birds on the way to a snorkeling site. There were hundreds and they were so interesting to watch. It was in March -- not sure what months they swarm the mangrove island.

We went to Grand Cayman this past March and I was sooooo disappointed. The hurricane really did a lot of underwater damage (at least for snorkeling off the beach). Our fav isolated spot is pretty desolate of fish and live coral now. We drove to the other side of the island every day (to 7 mile beach area and beyond). Snorkeling was good but not as fantastic as it used to be on the other side. Also, I hate how the island has changed -- getting way too developed, they charge an arm & leg for the turtle farm now, and the list goes on & on.

We now just keep looking for new places to go that are more like the old Grand Cayman. Any suggestions? Turks & Caicos and Nevis & St. Kitts are on our list of places to go.

Jan 28th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Some additional Anthony's Key info:

1. I'm not a big fan of DEET. They have great stuff there called cactus juice that worked for me for both snd flies and mosquitos... and it won't melt off your skin.

2. There are some outtings that Anthony's Key offers, including horseback riding and canopy tours. My understanding is that this is a very marginal experience and probably not worth missing the diving. Of course, if you are snorkelling, it might be a different story.

3. If you are willing to travel a bit, take a day or two to La Ceiba and hike in Pico Bonito National Park, which is gorgeous and will take you into primary forest and to outstanding waterfalls... or take a guided canoe trip through the riparian reserve (also from La Ceiba) to see some wildlife.