Search

Anguilla trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 01:46 PM
mel

Anguilla trip report

Just got back from one week at the Cuisinart resort -- in one word: Amazing.. The most beautifully designed resort, with huge rooms facing a pristine, wide beach. The employees are so nice. <BR>Anguilla's restaurants rival those in NYC and the island's residents couldn't be nicer... <BR>Can't wait to return!! <BR>Let me know if you have any questions on the Cuisinart or on Anguilla in general....

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Betsy

Yes, how expensive was it?

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:01 AM
mel

The Cuisinart is extremely expensive (at least it was for us.) We sprung for a junior suite in one of the villas, oceanfront, for $750/night, which included breakfast and watersports. Airfare from JFK on Amercian was $700 each. Mind you, we went in high season and in the summer the room goes for $500-- but in the summer it's not snowing in NY. <BR>Believe it or not, the Cap Juluca resort, just down the road, is a bit more expensive that the Cuisinart, and in my opinion, not as nice... <BR>So yes, it broke the bank for awhile, but it was worth it....

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Jeana

We are headed to Cuisinart for Carnival in August and have also reserved a Junior Suite. Do the Junior Suites vary from floor to floor, i.e. should I request a particular unit by floor or location. Also, what watersports do they have? Did you go on any snorkeling or sailing tours? Is it easy to get to Cap Juluca and Malliouhana from Cuisinart? What were your favorite restaurants? Thanks so much!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Christie

what did you like better about Cuisinart than Cap Juluca?

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:48 AM
mel

The Cuisinart seemed to be to me that it was designed exactly like the Cap Juluca. Same architecture, similar room layouts, same amentities -- only the Cuisinart is brand new, brand new furniture, new buildings, appliances, etc.. It also has less greenery. The Cap's buildings were surrounded with a lot of vines and other greens, whereas the Cuisnart has beautiful lawns and flowers, but they don't encroach on the views of the beach.. My view of the ocean was unobstructed, but at the Cap, the rooms were more set back and you didn't see the beach as clearly.. I think the intent is to be really secluded and private, but I felt private enough at the Cuisinart without all those vines... <BR> <BR>Restaurants: I think we hit all the best on the island. We went to Pimms at the Cap Juluca, twice it was so good and our favorite. Pimms, Mango's, and Oliver's are all built over the water and are really romantic. Koal Keel is in an old plantation hous in the center of the island and has a great atmosphere and diffrent from the others. Blanchard's is owned by an American couple and is very close to the beach.. All of them are excellent, fantastic seafood, great service, and average $150 for two for dinner... <BR> <BR>Our junior suite was on the second floor in the Mykonos villa (all have names of greek isles). Second floor is the best view of ocean, the third floors are reserved for one-bedrooms I believe and first floor views aren't as nice. <BR> <BR>Watersports: kayaks, windsurfing, sunfishes, and motorboats can be rented... <BR> <BR>Bascially nothing is walking distance except for walking on the beach to the nearby hotels: the Angulla Great HOuse and the Rendezvous Bay Hotel -- low-key small places.. We actually walked over to the Sonesta, over a lot of rocks, to get to a souvenir shop. The shop in the Cuisinart is very upscale and didn't have regular T-shirts, keychains, and the usual junk, which I needed to bring home. <BR> <BR>The Cap is on the same side of the island, but you need a taxi, $12 plus tip each way...I didn't see the Mallihouna as it was on the other coast..

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Jane

Dear Mel - Did you rent a car or use <BR>taxis? Were you able to use credit cards <BR>at the resturants you referred to? I <BR>read a post somewhere that implied the <BR>ATMs weren't always available and that <BR>some resturants didn't take credit cards. We aren't spending the big bucks <BR>this trip for a room. We are staying at <BR>Sonesta. What was your impression of <BR>Sonesta? TIA - Jane

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:27 AM
Jeana

Thanks so much for your input! I do have one additional question. We have a choice of being in one of the buildings close to the pool or out on the far ends. Is one better than the other as far as the view or the noise? Also, did you ever have trouble getting a chair and umbrella? Thanks again!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:12 AM
mel

As far as the Sonesta, I only walked through the lobby area, but it seemed really quiet. It's a mauve color and is moorish style. The lobby is is meant to look like Morocco, with fountains and arches. I didn't see the rooms, but it looked like an older crowd to me (we're 28 and 30). It was nice, but completely diffrent than the Cuisinart, much lower-key and much cheaper as well.... <BR> <BR>We used credit cards for dinner each night. We took about $500 cash for the week and didn't have to change it over into Eastern Caribbean money ever. We used cash for taxis, we didnt' rent a car. Taxis were average $15 per trip each way for anywhere you want to go -- pretty expenseive for like a five minute ride. I did not see an ATM once, so take lots of cash.. <BR> <BR>Pool: was always quiet and getting a chair was a breeze. Because there are lots of lounges and umbrellas set up on the beach, plus you can sun your self on your own huge deck, few people go to the pool to hang out. So it's not like other places where you have to race over to reserve a chair at 6 a.m. <BR> <BR>Rooms: At the Cuisinart the rooms are either in villas close to the beach or in the main building. I don't recommend the main building, the villas are best... It doesn't matter whether they are closer to the pool or not, they're all pretty close together.. I stayed in the Mykonos building, so as for that if you'd like... it was perfect!!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:57 PM
CMB

We have stayed at Cuisinart twice...both in the building furthest from the pool...much like having your own villa...depends if you like being closer in...or further away. <BR>We enjoy being further away...but none are really that long a walk.. What a great place!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:59 PM
CMB

Re suites at Cuisinart <BR>The jr suites are the same from villa to villa. The luxury junior suites are <BR>always on the top floor (3rd)...whereas the jr suites are on 1-2. The 3rd gives <BR>more unobstructed view. The luxury jr suite also has an added area off the bathroom for sunbathing. <BR>Either are wonderful.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Sue

<BR>Jane <BR>We rent a jeep when we visit Anguilla, you must visit all the great beaches, so many to choose from.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Dave

How is the snorkeling in Anguilla? This is the one thing my husband wants to do on our vacation. Thanks

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 07:04 PM
Karen

There are 6 junior suites in each villa at CuisinArt on the first and second floors. The top floor is a luxury jr. suite and a one-bedroom suite with private sunning area. I found the junior suite very spacious but sparsely furnished with no comfortable chair/setee for sitting and no reading lite! I would not be happy with a "middle" room as both sides of the balcony would be stark white walls and I was glad that we had a view out both the side and the front. It is a lovely property with lush beautiful gardens but still has some "rough" edges to iron out. The staff is wonderful but that was true of all Islanders! We rented a car, the taxis are expensive and both Cap and M were within easy driving distance - had fabulous lunches at both!!! Many of the restaurants are excellent and I enjoyed Straw Hat immensely - even more than the "trendy" Blanchards! If you are flexible with your dates, you might be able to pick up a good price at CuisinArt as they are often up for auction at www.luxurylink.com. I thought Cap was much more attractive than CuisinArt but that is a matter of personal taste. And I prefer dining beachside rather than in the middle of the property as one does at CuisinArt - they say it was done that way because of the wind. I have posted a trip report but can forward a copy. We did not need cash as the restaurants we went to all took credit cards but for incidentals, it came in handy (have to admit it is the first time I ever had to rent chairs or an umbrella as we went to Shoal Bay one morning!). I enjoyed Oliver's and found the owner of Mango's rather obnoxious, as reported, but the food was adequate. CuisinArt's Med Cafe and Hydroponic Cafe were good but the "fine" dining didn't make it! Way overpriced and not wonderful. I will still take my favorite NYC restaurants over any of 'em except Straw Hat but they don't have the location!!

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Kathy

Rent a car! It's do easy to drive around this island. You've got to experience all of the beaches. We had a regular sedan, and didn't have trouble getting to any of the beaches we tried. It would be a shame to visit this island and not get around. Just meeting tthe locals in town is wonderful.