Search

Anguilla Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anguilla Hotel

Hi...Has anyone stayed at KU in Anguilla?
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 01:12 PM
jmp

Hi - I'm looking at KU also. It's a new property. Guests of KU can use some of the Cap Jaluca facilities (tennis courts, beach chairs but not pool side chaises) but for a small fee. The shuttle upon arrival goes to both Cap Jaluca and KU. That's all I know so far....I'll keep you posted.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
I'll be waiting for other replies also.It looks lovely
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM
OT

Ku is not a new property, it is the old Shoal Bay Beach Hotel, rewamped.

SBBH was a locally owned and managed hotel, however nearly always empty even during the peak Christmas season.
In December last year a Management Company owned by Cap Juluca, took over, have redecorated the rooms, added a restaurant and a 75 foot outside bar and gave it a new name. They opened for business mid October.

There are a lot of postings on www.anguillaforum.com including one letter from the CJ management team clarifying the ownership (still the same family) and CJ's role. Just search the archives and you will find it.

Thre is also a very recent trip report on tripadviser, under the Anguilla hotel section.

It is on one of Anguilla's best beaches, and CJ's involvement can only make the property better.

The property is

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Interesting news. Can you also take the shuttle from CJ to KU (i.e. to go snorkelng for the day?)
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM
ALR

Cap Juluca has a 1/2 day snorkel trip to Shoal Bay once a week, weather permitting. Just check with the Concierge or read the Daily Activities bulletin when you're there. They require a minimum number of passengers for the trip to go, so best to sign up ahead of time.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 02:41 PM

stayed there for 7 years (under different management and different name...shoal bay beach hotel)....the beach is great there, you are very isolated, so you will need a car...hope the management is better than before...things got very shabby but expensive and the beach was badly tended....tons of sea weed that we visitors had to clean up if we didn't want to be looking at piles of sea weed...I am assuming that things are going to be better
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Oh dear -- there hasn't been a single strand of seaweed on Shoal Bay East in years! It is one of the most spectacular, pristine beaches in the Caribbean. The sand is soft & blinding white and the water is turquoise!

P.S. Ku is lovely and there's a recent trip report with pics of the rooms & beach at anguillaforum.com under Trip Reports.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 06:30 AM

I'll be at Ku on Sunday for 10 days and I'll post a report when I get home. I've read some conflicting reports so I'm a bit nervous but anxious to get away from the office and the cold. We were originally planning to go to Cuisinart but couldn't resist these great rates and Shoal Bay beach does sound great.
I've read that the surf is calm is that true?
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:26 PM

JuneAnn,

Have a great trip. I'm looking forward to your trip report. I'm heading to Ku in April for a week. Like you, I couldn't resist the rates!

Jenny
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 12:38 PM

Just got back from Ku and it is a delight. At twice the price it would still be great. The management is terrific and the rooms are big and brand new.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Elise,

What type of room did you stay in? I wanted beachfront but they only had pool/partial ocean available. Should I request a specific building, level? Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Jenny
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Just looked at Ku's website and it looks very impressive (and inexpensive, especially if you were there for the opening celebration rates).

It looks very South Beach in decor.