Anguilla: favorite restaurants???

Jan 16th, 2002, 06:04 AM
gab

Anguilla: favorite restaurants???

I'm going to Anguilla for the first time later next week and could use some restaurant recommendations.

Thanks.

Jan 16th, 2002, 06:33 AM
penny

Well you will have lots of excellent choices! Too many! Altamer a new spot on the water by chef Leduc- is getting good reviews. My favorites, as I prefer local seafood and on the water dining are Pimms, Keemia, Mangos, Trattoria, Straw Hat, Olivers, Malliouhana. Some local favorites are E's Oven, Tastys, Sapphire. Love the fresh veggies at CuisinArt, had wonderful dinner last year at CoveCastles. Love the fish soup at The Barrel Stay ! Scilly Cay lobster! If you go over to caribbean on line there are lots of Anguilla posters, and lots of opinions. You will love it!

Jan 16th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Karen

Well, Penny gave you the master list! One of my top favorites is Straw Hat. Another "new" place to try is Arlo's (think that's the name - it was Biestro Phil's). Altamer is lovely. Both Pimm's and George's were good. Blanchard's isn't getting the press that it got a year ago but has so much competition and, I think, a bit out of line for the prices and the food but others love it! Would do lunch at CuisinArt but not dinner and Malli is great! Some say the lobster at Smitty's is just as good as Scilly Cay but half the price and you get a view of Scilly Cay! Koal Keel (if it reopened) and Overlook were also highly recommened. Trattorio T... something or other is on a wonderful beach and everyone says the lobster ravaoli is wonderful and has excellent lunches.
Just too many choices and definitely not enuf nites!

Jan 16th, 2002, 09:51 AM
xxx

ROFLMAO!

Jan 17th, 2002, 01:25 PM
gab

Thanks for all the responses. I got more names than I imagined. Now help me narrow them down.

I can have dinner outside of my hotel (Cap Juluca) only 3 nights. Which would you choose for your 3 dinners?

I can do lunch outside of the hotel virtually every day. How come CuisinArt for lunch and not dinner? I know Scilly Cay is lunch only, right?

Jan 17th, 2002, 02:43 PM
penny

Well as I said its a personal choice. I have been to Anguilla many times so each year my favorites change! You will love CJ,one of may favorite spots is an informal lunch at Keemia. I prefer it over Georges (like it at lunch too) as I love the waves and water on the rocks right next to my table. I like the flavorful little plates, such as spring rolls,sushi plate , etc. Trattoria on the Beach is great for lunch and dinner, I prefer lunch as I love the tranquil location walking Shoal Bay West, its a short 10 minutes form CJ.
I have enjoyed wonderful dinners on the terrace at Santorini at CuisinArt. Nothing wrong with dinner there or a casual lunch. Scilly Cay is open for lucnch only and the hotel has boat trip on Sundays. There rum punches are deadly!

The problem with Anguilla is -as I have said there are too many choices. This year when I return I will go back to all the above mentioned. I love Mangos setting on the beach, have had some great meals. Sometimes we will do Blanchards. I resisted Malliouhana for years, they are an outstanding restaurant for lunch or dinner.Alittle more high toned, but its fine! The main dining room is perched high above the water, nice to go for a sunset drink.
So I would suggest when you get to CJ look at the menus, select the nights you want to dine out, as all restaurants are not opened 7 days a week and see what appeals to you.

My 3 dinner choices outside the hotel would be Mangos,
Malliouhana and Altamer.

Lunch would be Trattoria, Silly Cay and CuisinArt. I must admit its hard to break away from Maundays Bay!

Have a great trip!

Jan 17th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Karen

Of all the places (and it's few compared to Penny's numerous trips) I've eaten, I love Straw Hat. Don't know if it's the food or the ambience and location but probably a combo! Only one I hit twice in two trips. Mongo's I didn't enjoy so much as the owner/manager was having a "grumpy" nite and it wasn't pretty but other nites and other reports say that he has them sometimes and other times he is just charming! Food was good tho. Blanchard's features a "fusion"-type cuisine which isn't my favorite. I would say that based on reports and experience, Altamer was outstanding as was Malli! I was disappointed in CuisinArt's dinner but it was included in the "package" we were on so nothing ventured, nothing gained. You'll just have to do what I did and as soon as I got home started planning a return to check out the rest of the restaurants - and I still have more to go!

Jan 21st, 2002, 10:46 AM
B&K&B&D

We stayed at the Sonesta, a bit fancier than necessary, but we got a good package deal with airfare but without meals. That was a good choice; the food at the Sonesta was quite good, but a bit overpriced. By renting a car ($45/day total, 4door Toyota) we were able to visit lots of great and cheaper restaurants, probably covering the car rental.

With 50 restaurants competing for your dollars, Anguilla is an eaters paradise; dinners kept getting better and better, and we had a mission to find the best chocolate dessert. Prices are US big-city, but worth it, unlike most US big cities (figure $50 each for dinner, on average, including a bit of wine). Almost all food, except fish, is imported. As expected, fish dishes are highly recommended and the restaurants try to outdo each other in unusual preparations and unusual fishes. Try the trigger fish at the Overlook, or Asian-influenced recipes at Straw Hat (once you find it). There was also good steak and veal at George's at Cap Jaluca. We also liked Oliver's (though a bit more pricy), E's Oven, the English Rose in "downtown" The Valley (a real bargain), Johnno's and Smokey's for lunch (walk from the Sonesta), and GeeWee's and Tasty's for breakfast.

Jan 21st, 2002, 11:09 AM
Karen

BUT ... you didn't say how you did in your quest for the best chocolate dessert! The coconut pie at Oliver's is wonderful too!