Reload this Page >

Amber's Pictures - Feedback

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Chris

I have reviewed Amber's pictures of St. Martin and, I can't be counted in as one of her supporters. What I observed in the pictures is a Caribbean island and it's communities in need of rain. Which is probably the case for many of the islands in the area. As someone else pointed out - what color does your gardens and lawn turn when it doesn't get watered. I've got it, perhaps Mt. Martin should install an underground sprinkler system island wide, just to be able to satisfy people like Amber who visit during Low season. <BR> <BR>Low season, there is a reason for that designation. A person travelling to these islands during low season needs to undestand what that means. The lack of greenery, because of the lack of rain, is one aspectof it. You know the old adage - you get what you pay for. <BR> <BR>I, for one, have decided to disregard Amber's statement of 'go anywhere else', because under the same circumstances anywhere else would be the same. Rather, I would say, pay the price and go another time of year. <BR> <BR>Anyone else having reviewed Amber's picture, I'd be curious to know your thoughts. <BR> <BR>Chris

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:09 PM
amber

I have actually been to many other islands during off season & during season & never saw anything like St. Martin. St. Martin was almost desert like while I was there. Was this an abnormality? My state is suffereing the worst drought that we have had in years but my grass is still green. My trees still have leaves and no, I do not water. Does drought have anything to do with why there was so much trash on the beaches? I don't think so. <BR>I really wish that I had gone to this island 10 years ago with my sister so I could have fallen in love with it. I just hope the tourist board does something about the problems soon before it's too late. Good luck!

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 02:41 AM
Aruba Dave

Just returned from the Westin on St. John USVI, no shortage of green lawn there or anywhere else on the Island. St.Thomas, has also been watering their hotel properties. I feel this is just another example of St. Martin not knowing how to attract and keep the tourists, its part of the gray cloud hanging over the island.

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 10:53 AM
R. Bailey

There is a big difference between watering an hotel property and watering an island. Also a big difference in fresh water availability from one island to another.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:13 PM
Alex Miljkovic

Amber,I have been to St. Martin several times & have travelled thru-out the Caribbean extensively.I have never encountered or witnessed any crime,ever,while on St. Martin.That has been my experience. <BR> However,what I would like to address on this post is the brown foliage that you've described.The dry terrain is mostly on the windward side--the East & North of the island which is hit by the constant ocean winds & which tends to dry & brown the foliage. The West & Southern side of the island is greener & lusher. I actually found Anguilla & St. Barth drier than St. Martin.