Alternatives to Cayman?

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternatives to Cayman?

We were just notified that our condo on Grand Cayman will not be ready until after our planned vacation there (right after the 1st of January).

So now we are looking for alternate destinations. Any help would be appreciated.

Our only other vacations to the Caribbean were to PR and a cruise through the western Caribbean (with a stop in GC), which is why we chose GC for this year.

Here's my situation:
My wife and I are 47, both active. We are bringing our two sons, 24 and 19 and their girlfriends. We had booked a 3 BR condo on 7MB on GC. Here is a list of things that are important to us:

Island:
-Good beaches
-Clean island with nice restaurants and some nightlife.
-Good diving and snorkeling
-Quiet areas on the island, but a mix of activities and tranquility is good
-Relativily easy transportation to the island (from Chicago)

Accomodations
-Nice variety of places, preferrably condo or villa. Moderately priced.

-Places that are close to or on the beach

-And places that you think could still be booked at this late date for a week between 12/26 to 1/9

I know that nobody would have all this information, but any thoughts on any of these subjects would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:08 PM

We were in the same situation and decided to try Virgin Gorda this year. Our primary considerations were safety, good beaches, good snorkeling, no crowds, and condo/villa availability.

We booked a month or so ago and availability was really tight then, so I don't know what you will find now. Good luck.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:20 PM

We were booked for Grand Cayman in Feb. and decided on Turks and Caicos.

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:02 PM

Virgin Gorda is a very good choice based on your criteria. While I have no idea on availability, I have heard great things about Guavaberry Spring Bay, Nail Bay, and Mango Bay. Here's a link to some info:

http://www.bviinfo.com/accommodation...Virgin%20Gorda
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM

I agree with other posters recommendations for Virgin Gorda and Turks and Caicos. Both have good snorkeling and diving. Another not mentioned and excellent is Bonaire. However, I might point out as original poster wanted an island to reach with ease. Neither Virgin Gorda or Bonaire are reached easily...but absolutely well worth the effort. Turks & Caicos is very easy.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
NM

We were just in GC in July--it's really unfortunate about the damage. We used to go to GC each yr. until the island got a bit too built-up for us. We have been to T&C but it doesn't have the restaurants and sophistication like GC. Virgin Gorda is a bit more remote with much less to do. Please note that Nail Bay is harder to get to than most places on GC--up a steep winding road. We love Anquilla and believe it's a good GC substitute. It's certainly more laid back but the beaches are incredible (so is 7-mile) and the restaurants are outstanding. Good luck.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:19 PM

NM,
You're right T&C doesn't quite have the restaurants, although if you know the good ones...they are great. Tiki Restaurant at the marina great for both lunch and dinner, reasonably priced. Great fish and conch well you hear it getting pounded just after you order it I agree on Virgin Gorda assessment however lack of in some cases it heaven. Road to Nail Bay steep and windy? I have to trust you on that, I'm never gone to that part of GC however nothing is more than 60ft above sea level I find steep and windy hard to beleive! I very much agree with Anguilla. Another good diving/snorkeling place is Bonaire however not good beaches...people only go for the diving and snorkeling, laid back, no big resorts, good restaurants a mix of int'l and local.