All inclusives Good and Bad ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they say all all inclusive what do they really mean -- are their items that are no included -- what are those? I would appreicate comments people might have on the "good" and the "bad" of booking an all inclusive??? Thank you
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:59 AM

each chain is a bit different. all include meals, booze and some activities. some may have up to a dozen+ restaurants serving different kinds of food in venues of varying levels of formality. some clubs offer top shelf liquor some do not. some are extremely family oriented like Beaches. other are adults only. all have some sort of entertainment - depending on size this may be a big show or not so much. some have nightclubs that open at say 10pm & are intended for those 18-21.
many offer certain sports (say sailing) in limited increments for free or pay for time. spas are normally extra fee. all excursions are extra.

on the up side: you know how much your trip will cost before you leave home. if you have more than 2 cocktails or beers per day it will save you money. if you're traveling with ppl who have different interests ai may offer something for all.
on the down side: many ppl find they never leave the club. fine if you have no interest in seeing what life is like in your chosen destination. you won't get to try out local food.
certain islands have tons of ai's some have few or none.
hope this helps.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why anyone would feel "trapped" at an all inclusvie resort. You can leave any time you want to go exploring the local spots . I like the aspect of not having to plan every day when I stay at an all inclusive. There are acitivities if I want them and relaxation if I want that.
Most all inclusives are truly just that. Some have premium wines that cost extra. Spa services are usually extra.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know why anyone would feel "trapped" at an all inclusvie resort. You can leave any time you want to go exploring the local spots . I like the aspect of not having to plan every day when I stay at an all inclusive. There are acitivities if I want them and relaxation if I want that.
Most all inclusives are truly just that. Some have premium wines that cost extra. Spa services are usually extra.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 02:52 PM
KVR

"I don't know why anyone would feel "trapped" at an all inclusvie resort."

I think some people may feel that way because they have already paid upfront for food and drink and not wanting to go off the resort for dining or local bars and pay extra money for that.

That is one of the reasons we usually stay at low budget AI's so we don't feel like we've wasted money if we go off the resort to eat or drink.

We've been to 14 AI resorts in various price ranges. The more money you pay the better food and drinks you "usually" get. The most priciest AI's will eliminate buffets and have all ala la cart choices. So low budget usually mean all buffet and maybe one ala cart. The more ala cart resturants the hotel has, the more expensive it is. Same for drinks. Low budget means local brand names of house liquor and beer. Some won't even offer wine. The more expensive the hotel the better brands will be offered including champagne.

Extra costs will include the spa and wines not offered on the AI plan. Sometimes the in-room safe will have a fee as well as telephone calls. You'll need to check the specific hotel's web-site and see what they include in their AI plan. Many are the same, but there are exceptions.

If you are going to a destination in which the hotel is in the middle of nowhere and it will cost you in taxi fare to get to and from dining and bars, than an AI would probably be a better deal. However, if you are within walking distance or a $10 cab ride, it might not be worth it to you. If you plan on sitting at the resort and not doing any sightseeing or exploring (though a terrible shame to do so) an AI would probably be a better option.

The choice between AI vs. non-AI has been beat to death on many forums. It all comes down to a personal choice or what you feel is comfortable for the type of vacation you are wanting. You will always find AI lovers and AI haters. There is really no middle ground.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Which island are you thinking about? I have done about 4 all inclusives and plenty more non but it just depends on what you are looking for. I like to do AI in Mexico or Dominican Republic because A. Most are AI and B. they offer much more to do and are affordable.
I think an AI depends on what you are looking for...my husband and I really like to explore the island and do things outside the resort and when you are paying for AI fees and excursions, food, and more travel expenses it tends to get expensive. Agreeing with KVR-We have friends who will only go to an AI because they like to stay on the resort and enjoy there amenities but dont care much about seeing anything outside (not sure what the pt is going to an island if you aren't going to explore it) but to each is own. If you want to relax and enjoy a resort I would highly recommend AI. If you like a lot of activities I would also recommend a AI. If you are looking for an adventure and low key vacation I would not.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 06:21 AM

All inclusives offer everything you could want for one price. There are some good destinations to choose from and you can still create a perfect vacation. They offer all kinds of outdoor activities or if you enjoy long lazy days around a pool, they're good for that as well.
The biggest downside to an AI is if you're on an island well known for excellent food, you're going to miss out. And, some people tend to not leave the resort at all which means they miss out on what the island has to see.
We do a mix of AI's and non AI's. We eat a big breakfast, go out and see/do whatever and eat a late lunch when we return. We also do eat at local places a couple of times because we enjoy trying some local places.