All inclusive - small resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a vacation for April or May and we are looking for an all-inclusive resort that is on the smaller side. Maybe one with 200 rooms or less. We are open to where we want to go but we really need a place where there are no crowds but we are decided that we do want an all-inclusive. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Most AIs are not small, but there are a few on Barbados (Almond Beach Resort comes to mind, and it might be under 200 rooms).

I just spent a few days at Petit St. Vincent. It's far from the typical resort (no a/c, no phones, no TV), but excellent food and really wondeful, almost deserted beaches. It has 24 separate cottages on a private island, but it's in the Grenadines, so getting there isn't quick or easy, but very much worth it. This is a rather expensive resort, though ($2,500 per person not including transport), and rates include meals but not drinks, so it's not strictly an AI. But I'd strongly recommend it if this kind of experience appeals to you.

There's a really cute small AI in Negril called Negril Gardens. It's owned by Sandals but not a part of their larger chain. If you get a beachside room (basic, but serviceable), it's right on the beach and has a nice restaurant. Not upscale, but there are other restaurants close by, and it's so cheap that you can eat off-property without feeling you've paid extra.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM

The Body Holiday at LeSport and the Rendezvous (both in St. Lucia) meet your size criteia. LeSport is adults only, and Rendezvous is couples only. They are owned or managed by the same company, with LeSport being the more expensive/upscale of the two.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Sandals Inn.....perfect for what you are looking for.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM

If you are looking for a lovely small resort right on the beach take a look at. www.cocodimama.com on Eleuthera. The resort is small and you can get a map meal plan.

The resort is right ON the beach.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Secrets Capri in Riviera Maya.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Just an fyi - I have been to Sandals Inn, and it was just fine with me, but the beach is across the 2 lane road and it is a public beach. There are reciprocal privileges with the other 2 Sandals resorts in Mobay, but these are much larger (and, of course, more amenities).
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM

check out the akumal beach resort. here are 2 links:
http://www.ventaclubhotels.com/engli...erties/akumal/
and
http://www.locogringo.com/akumal/akumalbeachresort.html
you can walk into akumal in 5 mins. approx 1 hour south of cancun airport.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:42 AM

If small in your opinion means fewer than 200 rooms, then my recommendations may be way wide of the mark. Small in my opinion is about 1/10 of that, but perhaps you are not aware of small resorts that are either completely AI or that offer AI options to their guests.

For intimate, old Caribbean charm and luxury, take a look at www.jamaicainn.com. It's a small resort with a fiercely devoted following, both on this board and on others. You'll hardly find a bad word against it.

For a hip and intimate experience on the same island, take a look at The Caves in Negril. I think the website is www.islandoutposts.com, but I could be wrong.

For a casually elegant but luxurious resort on an island that doesn't get many American tourists, take a look at Spice Island Beach Resort on Grenada. The resort is set on a stunning beach, the grounds are lovely, the rooms are beautiful, the food is great, the service is wonderful. I've not stayed there, but I've eaten there are quite a few occasions. The website might be www.spiceislandbeachresort.com.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:24 AM

Try Curtain Bluff in Antigua
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Try the BVIs. Most fabulous for small, upscale, all- inclusive resorts.
We've stayed at Biras Creek and Peter Island. Biras is smaller but both are lovely and quiet. You can't go wrong.
The time of year you've selected will result in reduced rates.
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM

I'll second Kool_Aid_Salesman's recommendation of Curtain Bluff. Gorgeous property, comfortable and well appointed accomodations, two beaches (Caribbean and Atlantic), great food, outstanding service, live (and usually very good) entertainment every evening, pretty decent off-the-beach snorkeling -- just about the perfect upscale all-inclusive. Not cheap, but definitely worth the price, considering all that's included. One of our favorite places.
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 05:23 AM

Not really all-inclusive since it doesn't include alcohol, Meridian Club in the TCI has 12 rooms. Not "luxury" such as Biras and PIR in the BVI (they refer to it as "barefoot luxury) but certainly no crowds for miles and miles of beach! A few homes dot the landscape but that's all.
One of my most relaxing vacations of all.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions.. i've been reviewing all of them. I still haven't decided so keep the ideas coming. I know I listed less than 200 rooms in my first post but I probably should have said 100. All the places you mentioned are beautiful and I look forward to others as well. Thanks again.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM

Meridian Club has an ezxquisite beach but the rooms are nothing special (a high end Holiday Inn but worn and 1.3rd smaller). Food from year to year is erratic having stayed there 3 times in about 12 years. Over-priced cp,pared to Peter Island Ocean View or Beach Front Suite for $50-$75/nt. more.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:55 AM

A nice little vacation resort that I stayed at was called Harbour Heights. They have small condos with very friendly staff and it is not too crowded. The view is amazing, with the condos located right on the world famous Seven Mile Beach. I really think it is something that you would be interested in. Doesn't hurt to look.. http://www.harbourheightscayman.com/
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Meridian Club may not be worth the price if you are going high season for the room or the snorkling, but it in no way resembles a Holiday Inn. (I'd say that it is close to the opposite of a Holiday Inn-yes, I realize that you are focusing on the rooms.)
Check out the website. This is what it really looks like (rooms, beach, dining areas, pool etc.) It does not purport to be "luxury" like Peter Island, Caneel Bay or Ritz Carleton Cayman, but the Holiday Inn comparison just doesn't fit.
I may agree about the meals. Over the years I have experienced various levels of cooking and presentation.
I concur with Beachplum. This place is not for everyone, but it offers a relaxing get away of a sort available few places in the Caribbean.
*I think Jamaica Inn would be a lovely choice given your specifications. (It's traditional, romantic, quiet, easy to get to and potentially all-inclusive.)
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:55 PM

Hmm.. the only suggestion here that we've stayed at is Jamaica Inn, perfect if you don't want children around but depending on your age might be a little stuffy - we are in our mid 40's and DH (Dear Husband) while he really enjoyed it he doesn't feel the need to go back.

Nisbet Plantation on Nevis offers AI - 36 (or is that 37) rooms? Beautiful place.

Doug? Where is Negril Gardens we've stayed at Idle A While and loved the situation - would go back there in an instant.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:38 AM

My reference to Holiday Inn was just the rooms and obviously they are 12 units attached on 1 level plus the Honeymoon Suite which we stayed at twice as is a little nicer. But in May the rates at Peter Island and others are not more than the Meridean Club, based on past experience, I have only gone to Biras Creek, not for me but offers a lot for others, and Anthony's Key in Roatan in the past 12 months.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM

I agree that the Meridian Club is "holiday inn on the beach" and way overpriced. Compare the rates to Peter Island, Biras Creek and other upscale resorts which offer a much better value - far prettier surroundings such as tropical foliage along with some nice beaches.

PSV as mentioned is a wonderful small resort. Also take a look at Ti Kaye Village in St. Lucia. Gorgeous cottages, wonderful food, and a true getaway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -