Reload this Page >

Akumal vs. Playa del Carmen

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 1998, 04:13 PM
gabi

I am trying to decide whether to go to Akumal or Playa del Carmen. Will be travelling next January with my husband and two kids (8 and 10). We do want to see some of the sights and relax, relax! <BR>Any suggestions? Have any of you stayed at the Porto Real in Playa?

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 05:49 AM
L.E.

Also interested in both these areas for a trip next year (low season= July-September time), which place has better beaches & snorkeling...and want all-inclusive 4-5star resort...any suggestions appreciated.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 05:55 AM
Michel

If you want to relax with the kids in a gorgeous natural setting, try Club Oasis Akumal. It's a smaller resort (about 110 rooms) offering great activities, snorkeling from the beach, good food, and perfect service. From the resort, you can bike to the village of Akumal (20 minutes). You can also visit the ruins at Tulum (10 minutes by cab). If you would like more information, write me directly.

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 12:35 PM
czanoff

Just got back from Playa de Carmen in May. We stayed at a new place, the Iberostar Tucan, and it was gorgeous and the food was pretty good too. The beach was nice there also. We were close enough to town to shop around and catch the ferry to Cozumel. Went snorkeling down at Akumal which was great, but I think I'd prefer staying in closer to town and at a newer resort. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 1998, 09:13 AM
Rich

GO TO AKUMAL! We took our daughters (4 & 2 yrs old) in March and it was great. If you are interested, go to www.rascalsinparadise.com and look into their special family weeks. They send a caregiver to work for you all week. We had this and it was great. <BR> <BR>Also, Akumal is local to Tulum, Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Coba, many cenotes, etc... Fly to Cancun, rent a car, stay in Akumal, have fun!!! E-mail for more.

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 03:17 PM
Izabel

<BR>Have not stayed at Playa del Carmen ( oh, hw I wish I had scanned this forum before my trip, since now I regret it). <BR> <BR>Just looked over Akumal Oasis - it's an all inclusive, 3 meals a day. Nice beaches, big pool, self enclosed. <BR> <BR>The place to avoid like a plague is Akumal Caribe and Hotel Villas Maya, where the neighbouring Italian glee resort floods the entire beach, pool, rooms and restarant with <BR>constant deafening aerobic music and competition announcements, all day with a break for lunch! <BR> <BR>There are also condos to be rented all around, one place I really liked is Vista del Mar, at www.mexico-vacation.com and at Akumal Caribe there is a well stocked mini-supermarket. <BR> <BR>It all depends what you're looking for - the Mayan sites are just as accessible from Playa del Carmen, and Xcaret is much larger and offers more than Xel Ha and is close to P. del C.