Airline Strikes

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Mike & Kathy

Airline Strikes

Well here's another question !! <BR> <BR>We also were thinking about going on a cruise to the carribean from Miami the 2nd week of May...but are worried about the potential of the 4 of the airlines going on strike...not sure if we should chance booking and not being able to fly to Miami..any thoughts?? <BR> <BR> <BR>Mike & Kathy

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:11 AM
rich

Its always a risk. And this year is going to be even greater yet due to the number of airlines talking strike. The wise thing is to book on an airline that is not talking strike, if possible. We are going to Jamaica in April, and every airline that connects from our home in the NW to Jamaica is involved. We were already booked on Delta at a very good price. So we are going to keep our fingers crossed. <BR>Also wise to purchase trip insurance that covers such things. Not all do, so make sure your policy does. That way, if the airline is not able to book you on another airline to make your cruise, your insurance will cover the cruise expense....and your airline will give you a credit for a future flight...and sometimes even your money back.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Erika

Beware of buying trip insurance if buying only to protect yourself against airline strikes. I was trying to purchase insurance for this reason, and was advised that a strike becomes a foreseeable (and therefore not insurable) event if the labor union has already voted for a strike (i believe that most of the airlines fall into this category)

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Eileen

Another hint: don't fly the day of the cruise, fly into Miami the day before and stay overnight. That way if a strike wreaks some havoc, you will have a day to get on another airline if necessary, if you fly the day of the cruise departure you might miss the ship (this almost happened to my brother due to bad weather -- I just wouldn't cut it that close - too nerve-wracking) I am also going through Miami in mid=April on American so I am keeping my fingers crossed and getting trip insurance.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:37 PM
rich

In regard to purchasing insurance and airlines voting strikes, again, read the fine print of the insurance agency, and talk to one of their representatives direct, not just your travel agent. Your travel agent is not an expert in the insurance field. <BR>I'm not aware that any of the airlines have "voted to strike" as of yet. Their are 4-5 major airlines presently in contract negotiations, a couple in what is called a "cooling off period" of 30 days. At that point they may continue to negotiate, or schedule a vote. This all takes time. So just keep your nose to the news and if you choose to buy travel insurance, make sure it covers this developement. We did, and it does.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Erika

I know that American's Flight Attendants have voted (on Feb 23rd) to authorize a strike if negotiations break down, Delta's pilots voted to authorize a strike on 02/12/01, Northwest airlines is hoping that the president will intervene if mechanics go on strike on March 12th, and United flight attendents can walk out on April 2nd. The travel insurance company with whom I spoke did notify me that if the unions had already voted to authorize a strike (after which the 30 day cooling off period occurs) that it then became a reasonably forseeable event. There are several travel insurance websites that point this fact out (AIG is one, CSA Travel Protection is the company I spoke with). Also be aware that Rule 240 does not apply to strike situations for most airlines (strikes are considered a force majuere event). Check out www.mytravelrights.com for each airlines Rule 240 protections. <BR>I don't mean to sound like a major downer - but you need to be aware. Flying the day before (or even two!) is really a great idea. One thing I am keeping in mind is the horrific publicity and impact United suffered because of its labor problems last summer. I hope (and think) that the airlines that are under the gun now will do everything in their power to avoid becoming another United. <BR>Another good website for information on the airline strikes (and where I get most of my information) is http://airtravel.about.com/travel/ai...newsstrike.htm

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Mike

Travelling US Air mid-May. Any strike <BR>talks there?

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Mike & Kathy

Well thanks for the info about the strikes. I guess the best bet would be to go a day early and have some fun at South Beach in Miami. This is our 1st flight so I hope it goes OK. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Mike & Kathy