AI Resorts in Antigua

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

AI Resorts in Antigua

We're going to Antigua in June for a friend's wedding which is being held at the Jolly Beach Resort. We'll be there for 3 nights but are looking to stay somewhere else for the next 4 nights. I thought I had it narrowed down to either ST James Club or Grand Pineapple, but now I'm not sure. Any input or advice? WE like to be able to eat at a few different restaurants, don't want an overly crowded place, and want a lot of activities. WE also want to be able to leave the resort to explore the island. Thank you!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 02:10 PM

Though Jolly Beach is a very touristy-spot. Cocos Hotel is a tropical paradise perched up on the cliff overlooking the beach and a nice "getaway." We stayed there last February and would go back in a second. Check it out online at cocoshotel.com
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 02:50 PM

I had a wedding group go to Grand Pineapple and they loved it.

Antigua is gorgeous - 360 beaches!

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:05 PM

check out the recent writings to the topic:
"Jolly Harbour on Antigua".
Lots of info to consider.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:21 PM

Would you consider a non-AI place? For what you're looking for, the Siboney Beach Club would fit the bill AND it would provide you with a chance to see more of the island. It's not an AI, but it's on the most popular beach on the island, Dickenson Bay. You can walk to a handful of restaurants and beach bars from there, plus there's their own excellent one on site called Coconut Grove.

St. James' Club is fairly isolated on the south side of the island, not far as the crow flies from English Harbour and Nelson's Dockyard. It has had very uneven reviews in the last few years. They offer a variety of water sports but the snorkeling is practically non existent there.

Grand Pineapple is also fairly isolated, but on the east coast of the island, sharing a beach with one other hotel. The snorkeling here is pretty good, among the best available from shore on the island, and most reviews rate the GPB as an overall good value. I always stay at the neighboring hotel, Long Bay, when I'm in Antigua, so I've frequently seen the grounds at GPB. They seem to offer a variety of activities but most of their guests seem to prefer lounging by the beach or pools. It's not a rowdy place by any means.

How much you want to get out and explore the island may determine where you want to stay. Do you want to explore by day and then head "home" at night? Or would you rather lounge at "home" by day and sample Antiguan dinner and nightlife? Will you rent your own car or hire a taxi for your outings?

I was married in Antigua during the month of June myself and I hope your friend has as magical a time as I did. Hope you have fun!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Have you looked at Galley Bay? We got a superb deal in June 2004, at least 40% cheaper than the published rates.We called the hotel group that owns it direct . Elite Island Resorts. We were also going to a wedding at Jolly Bay and thanked our lucky stars we weren't staying there once we had seen it.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:33 AM

Galley Bay and Curtain Bluff are leaps and bounds ahead of the other AIs on the island, and Jumby Bay is leaps and bounds ahead of GB and CB. It all depends on how much you can spend and what kind of deal you can negotiate with the resorts. It used to be that June was an easy time for negotiating, but now even that month in the low season tends to be relatively well-sold. Also, GB is closed right now for extensive renovations and very likely will raise their prices after opening again. Bargains may be harder to come by there than in the past.