Reload this Page >

80th Birthday event suggestions please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Liz

My mother-in-law is turning 80 in January 2003 and my husband had an idea to have a family celebration on a Caribbean island. There probably would be from 12 to 16 people. <BR> <BR>We have a few requirements: <BR>--it should be easily accessible by plane (not requiring a puddle-jumper to get there from NYC, Boston, the West Coast, or London) <BR>--it should have great snorkeling <BR>--it should be not so impoverished that the locals resent the tourists <BR>--it should not be highly developed and commercialized in terms of high-rise condos all along the beaches <BR>--it should be comfortable, pleasant and clean (but not luxurious), and reasonably priced (just what is reasonably priced?? I'm not sure, but not $500/night!) <BR>--it should have a restaurant on the premises or nearby. <BR> <BR>We are open to staying in an "all inclusive," but I havbe the feeling they are quite expensive. Another idea is a colony of cottages. Or a not all-inclusive resort. <BR> <BR>One idea so far is the Edgewater Inn in Barbados. <BR> <BR>More suggestions for islands and accomodations, please? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 08:02 PM
dianne

We did an 80th b-day celebration last year. Here are some thoughts... <BR>renting a house or 2-3 houses in a colony gives you the space and privacy you need with a large group.Also it is nice to have a central gathering place to hang out with each other, something a hotel cannot provide. <BR>St John's, USVI has excellent snorkeling as well as a wide range of houses for rent (ranging from modest to luxe) <BR>Also on island is a Westin resort which may offer some 2-3 bdrm villas ( a bit pricey) <BR>There are non-stop flights from JFK and BOS into St Thomas, with a ferry ride over to St John. <BR>It's best to remember that the most easily accessible islands tend to be the most developed with condos, high-rises, etc which you are trying to avoid. <BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 03:31 AM
tivertonhouse

DRAGON BAY, a resort hotel just outside Port Antonio, matches all your requirements -- and offers quite a bit more for the adventuresome,non-traditional group. We send quite a few multi-generational families and groups to Port Antonio -- it's one of the most beautiful and least touristicized areas of Jamaica.You might also consider 2 adjacent villas on the Blue Lagoon for more privacy,if more expensive. Flights:into MoBay or Kingston (PREFERABLY Montego Bay),then Air Jamaica Express to Port Antonio. Most places will send a car to greet you.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:47 AM
Doug

Hi Liz, you can also fly to Eleuthera Bahamas via USAIR direct from Miami. In Tarpum Bay, Cartwright's Ocean Front Cottages has 2 cottages with a total of 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 2 kitchens. They can accommodate up to 14 persons. They are only 40-50 ft away from the Caribbean where you can fish, snorkel and swim. Local markets are just minutes away by foot and there are 2 local resturants nearby, Bertha's and Barbie's serving native Bahamian dishes(conch, peas'n rice grouper fillet to name a few). If you need any other info about Eleuthera or airfare deals on how to get there, feel free to email me direct. Doug

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:03 PM
Liz

Thanks for the suggestions. St John sounds interesting--I remember reading about some of the eco-resorts there, and will explore that. Everyone I know who has been there raves about it. <BR> <BR>Jamaica--I know nothing about that area, and will research it. <BR> <BR>Same for Eleuthra, although the cottages sound a bit more īntimate"than I would like. But I can do more research on that island as well. <BR> <BR>Thanks, all. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:12 AM
joan

We have had many family celebrations in Bermuda and all have been GREAT. It is a wonderful island.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 12:47 PM
Julia

<BR>Liz, <BR>Please scratch the Edgewater Inn off your list. I can't begin to stress how disappointed you'll be. Except for the view, the place is nothing like the photos or their video's hype. <BR> <BR>Barbados would be a nice choice tho. <BR> <BR>For great snorkeling, being able to rent several condos together, safe & clean consider Grand Cayman. The flight is shorter (might be a plus w/ older travelers). Definitely not impoverished or resentful island, however it is highly developed & westernized on the SMB side. <BR> <BR>Instead of condos, maybe consider a house at Cayman Kai or better yet maybe renting the entire Turtle Nest Inn at Boddentown for your group. The owners Alain & Marleine are great people & I'm sure would go the extra mile to make your family's celebration extra special. They cooked special dinners on the terrace several times a week, probably still do. We stayed with them Oct. 99, fabulous snorkeling on site, lovely view, comfortable, spic & span. Their website is www.turtlenestinn.com. My highest recommendation. <BR> <BR>Happy planning. <BR>Julia

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:50 PM
a traveler

Dear Liz: I recently visited Puerto Rico. I read in the local newspaper that they have and will be opening ma and pa hotels in the west coast. I utilized the Que Pasa! magazine as a reference. I stayed for 2 weeks. I rented a car and visited diferent sites throughout the island. A local suggested I visit a Butterfly farm in the south. My husband knew some Spanish and many locals are receptive and helpful when providing directions. Many airlines from different countries have stops in Puerto Rico. Enjoy.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Liz

Julia, <BR> <BR>(I just changed isp's--I'm the same Liz) <BR> <BR>What did you not like about Edgewater? Was it unclean, the food mediocre, the service surly, or...? I'll check out Turtle Nest Inn, although we did want some place that routinely offered meals. <BR> <BR>A Traveler and Joan, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the ideas about Bermuda and Puerto Rico. Any resort suggestions in those places? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 07:50 AM
x

Have never been to Bermuda, but since it's off the coast of N.C. won't it be a little too cold in January? <BR> <BR>How about further south, like say Aruba? <BR> <BR>Your 80 year old mother-in-law snorkels? GOD BLESS HER!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Julia

<BR>Liz, we didn't stay there but visited it while touring the east coast. The walkways to the rooms (at least some of them) backed up to a ravine that didn't look very inviting. There didn't seem to be many guests. I remember trash cans & rotten wood & a general feeling of a hippie compound away from the public areas. It looked like an old motel in the states. The pool needed resurfacing and the restaurant looked outdated and very dark & dusty. It just didn't look like a happy place to me. <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Inn on the Beach in Holetown and even tho it too was outdated, we were mere steps from the beach & in a great location. It too felt like an old motel, & at first I was very disappointed, but the location was perfect, lots of great restaurants, chattel house shopping, pretty sunsets. It was by no means on par with the Turtle Nest Inn on GC, but I wouldn't mind staying at the IOB again if budget is a concern. <BR> <BR>The nearby Regent St. James was much nicer, shared the same beach, just a little walk. <BR> <BR>The Turtle Nest is one place we felt like we got more than our money's worth. Looks like it should be sitting on the Mediterranean. And the snorkeling is great, right out the backdoor & numerous places on GC. <BR> <BR>(If we go back to Barbados we'll leave our snorkel equipment home. Nothing much to see.) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Liz

Julia, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the info. I also did a search on Edgewater in this forum, and it got thumbs down across the board! I already wrote to Turtle Nest Inn, and they wrote back a friendly reply. So we'll see, it's a definite possibility! I know nothing about Grand Cayman, but the shorter plane ride is a definite plus, as is the snorkeling, of course. <BR> <BR>I'm disappointed that the consensus is the snorkeling in Barbados is nothing much, though, as it sounds lovely in other ways. <BR> <BR>X--yes, my m.i.l. snorkels, and she hikes and skis as well! She is incredibly fit for a woman of her age. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:10 PM
A trraveler

Hello Liz: Suggest www.prtourism.com. Call their info center 787-722-1709. You might want to hire a professional tour guide for your family tours. I have heard the Wyndham El Conquistador Resort & Country Club located in the north east 787-8631000. <BR> <BR>Enjoy