2 Young Widows Need All-Inclusive

Oct 16th, 2000, 06:25 PM
maggie

2 Young Widows Need All-Inclusive

Hi folks

Perhaps you could help us out here. We are 50ish and looking for a week late Oct or November 2000, in a nice all-inclusive resort. We've both travelled quite a bit but never an all-incl. Sand, surf and sun required to have a much needed retreat from the real world.

We live on Canada's West Coast and have considered Mexico or Cuba. Any input? Any other destination someone might know about with an all-incl? We understand Club Meds attract more the 30 to 40 age group!!! We need more the 45 to 60 clan.

Thanks for any input you can give us.

Maggie

Oct 16th, 2000, 08:12 PM
kathy

Hi Maggie,

Have I got a hotel for you? It is the Melia Sol Rio de Oro. It is on the North East coast of Cuba. I think you will find everything there that you are looking for.The prices are higher than for other hotels but the extra cost is well worth the money. The food is wonderful as is the beach and the hotel grounds. When we were there last year I would say the crowd was quite well mixed but the majority were older people. I don't think you find many families with kids there because of the price.
There was a little bit of topless sunbathing going on but not a lot and they were mostly younger European women. The weather should be quite nice at that time alhough if you really want hot weather you should go in February or March.At the Cuban hotels they do organize activities but they don't pester you to join in if you are feeling lazy and just want to lie on the beach.
This hotel has the best food I've tasted in Cuba and I have been there 17 times.

Kathy

Oct 17th, 2000, 05:34 AM
jbrooks

You might want to try the Playa del carmen area in mexico, there are a lot of good all inclusives right on a long stretch of white sand beach...plus there are a lot of cultural sites to visit and ecological theme parks.

You may want to look into Riu palace, gala resort, royal hideaway, iberostar, moon palace. You will be a few minutes from the nice city of Playa del carmen, which has some good shopping and restaurants, plus the ferry over to cozumel if you want to visit (can be very choppy on the way over There is lots of info on Mexico hotels on the latin forum. We have stayed at the Gala resort, which had a nice mix of people staying there. The nice thing about Mexico, and Cuba, is they are cheap enough that you can eat out a couple of times and not feel guilty if you are staying at an all-inclusive (I, myself, got tired of the food after 4 days and I can't say that the food was excellent all the time, but I usually could find something to eat). Good luck!

Oct 17th, 2000, 02:00 PM
Gail

Have you considered a cruise? You could visit several different islands that way. You would also not have to search for evening activities or worry about what to do. It's all right there for you.

Oct 18th, 2000, 02:53 PM
Lisa

You might want to think about Grand Lido San Soci in Ocho Rios Jamaica. It is an AI spa type resort. You will get massage, facials, scrubs and great meals(not spa only food) and wonderful service and the tropical drinks are just the thing to unwind and relax. You will also meet so great people from all over the world.

Oct 20th, 2000, 09:36 AM
debbie

Hi! I gotta go along with Kathy's suggestion as we stayed at the Rio de Oro last year and it would suit your needs to a T! Age range and everything.

Alternatively, I'm going to suggest the ai at the Holiday Inn in Aruba. This place would qualify for the sun, sand and surf. And if you can bear the current exchange rate on the U.S dollar, you can gamble and shop 'til you drop. End of November is a perfect time to visit here as the wet season is just ending and you don't have those strong winds.

And least, but not last, any of the ai's on the Mayan Riveria, ie. RIU Yucatan or Palace, Iberostar, etc.
Check websites at www.mytravelboard.com/playa or www.riuhotels.com

And do feel free to email direct if you have more questions about any of these destinations.