2 single girls: fun in Jamaica????

May 21st, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

2 single girls: fun in Jamaica????

Here it is: Leaving at the end of June, early July, 2 single (very)fun girls, open minded, early 30's, looking for great place to stay, great beaches, great people & lots of fun! We figured Jamaica since it's a party island. Where do we stay? Considering AI since we will be drinking, a lot.
May 21st, 2004, 07:06 AM
mm

If there ever was a candidate for HedonismII this has got to be it.

Do a search for Hedonism or Negril and you'll find lot's of stuff.

Ladies, if you're leaving from Boston or Manchester I'd like to meet you for a pre-trip warmup.

Just kidding. You guys sound warm enough.

Have fun.

MM
May 21st, 2004, 08:16 AM
cdt

Definitely Negril, on the beach.

There are some small hotels that charge a lot less than the AI's, and drink prices are reasonable, so you could buy a bunch of booze and still maybe come out ahead. On the other hand, the inexpensive hotels are pretty modest places.

May 21st, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

I heard at Hedonism there are, uh, not so great looking-overweight people. We are very attractive & would like to have the same company. Would Hedonism work for us?
May 21st, 2004, 10:27 AM
mm

jen24, you just lost me.

Now I'm wondering if you're in your early 30's or late teens.

Either way, Negril be da place.

MM
May 21st, 2004, 02:39 PM

Hedonism does sound like the right place for you...except for those "uh, not so great looking-overweight people".

I think this is a first on this board. You're looking for a place with people who are as "attractive" as you are ?

I'm not sure any resort can guarantee that all guests will be of proper weight AND attractive (however you might define that !)

I would recommend that you fill one of those plastic kiddie pools and set up some mirrors...thereby saving money on airfare, which you could spend on booze !
May 23rd, 2004, 09:38 AM

Marionurprised that JI didn't flush that Baldacci-ism out of your system...
These gals would feel comfortable at Tensing Pen, The Caves, Idle Awhile, Rockhouse, Jackie's on the Reef or even Grando Lido -- all of which would set the bar a tad higher than Hedo/Sandals/Riu for like-minded folk as they seek.
May 24th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Well having just come from hedo II I can attest it's not the over weight people that should stop you from going, it's the lurkers.. There are plenty of much old people who take very good care of their bodies there, and there are people who haven't.. But the lurkers are a whole other thing and just plain creapy.. I also enjoy partying, and didn't find any great party there.. My Bf and I had to leave the resort to have a great time.. Listening to reggae bands under the stars on the beach is more my idea of fun.. Not structured "fun".. Kareoke isn't for me.. And I go to enough night clubs at home to want to be in one on a beautiful tropical island.. My advice is to go EP insted of AI.. AI's are good, but I have found after staying at a few that the party is over early.. Hedo's non stop party was funny.. Everyone started drinking @ 10am.. and if you traveled to the disco @ 2am it was empty.. There are some great clubs on the beach, with live bands each nite.. And there are so many great places to eat out, that are reasonable.. Good Luck
May 24th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Sorry if I offended anyone. Where on the island could we stay, have fun, nightlife and could you recommend a hotel, prefer an AI. Thanks.
May 24th, 2004, 04:22 PM

The AIs are seriously deficient when it comes to nightlife. You would be much better off on Negril's main beach at someplace like Fun Holiday so you can stroll along checking out the bands and find the best party. It is safe to stroll the beach at night with a normal degree of care.
May 25th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Well alot of single females stay @ Merrills 1,2,or 3.. You can eat at all 3.. and it's right on the beach, close to all clubs.. Idle Awhile is rumored to be good, I guess you get priveledges @ swept away as well.. As for Ep plans, there is Coco La Palm on the beach, and tons others, negril beach club, the rock house on the cliffs as well as xtabi.. Negril.com also has alot of advice to share for the best places on the beach for single women travelers.. Like I said I have done the AI thing a few times and have now learned that the party ends pretty early, and alot of times the food is just good.. Not great.. But I love feeling the real Jamaican vibe.. The food, the atmosphere, the people.. Thats what I love.. The party is so much better off resort than on.. Ton's of great clubs in Negril.. But I have heard alot of great things about the above mentioned places.. Good Luck!!
May 25th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help everyone. I think we are leaning toward NOT doing all inclusive, as we will be off the resort at times to shop, sightsee, boat trips, etc. But we do like to drink & found most AI end at 10 pm, too early for us. Still looking for a great hotel in the heart of it all, but reasonable.
May 25th, 2004, 10:04 AM

I would Check out staying at Rockhouse up on the cliffs, or Idle Awhile or Kyuba if wanting to be on the beach. All very reasonable with a lot going on!!
May 25th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes we want to be on the beach & near nightlife, shops, water sports, etc.
May 26th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I need some help. We are going to Negril, want to stay on the beach, and I've seen about 7 places that look nice to stay. Give me your advice between these hotels: Kuyaba, Idle Awhile, Charlea Inn, Negril Palm Beach, Fun Holiday, Legends, or Coral Seas. Thanks in advance!
May 26th, 2004, 08:18 AM

It really depends on what you look for in a hotel. ie..how much are you willing to spend per night, and what type of rooms are acceptable? Is very basic ok? or do you prefer more of an upscale feel?
May 26th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks beachedbliss. We don't want to pay a lot, that's why I narrowed it these hotels cause I've already checked prices. And all the rooms look about the same, but you know pic's can be deceiving. We won't spend much time in the room, so we can sacrifice. We just need 2 beds, prefer A/C & no bugs.
May 26th, 2004, 09:51 AM

From what I've researched on Negril, I'd say Kuyuba would be the best for 2 single girls. Idle awhile I believe is a little more upscale, but might not be as fun for 2 single girls.
May 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Hi Jen...I was surprised to see another person replied the same thing I would say, the Rockhouse in Negril. I was only in Jamaica there once and stayed there with a boyfriend a while ago. But I recently sent another couple there and they had a fabulous time. It's not necessarily for couples and I loved it because you have the rustic, island feel of Jamaica, but a nice place...clean, very charming bungalows. Centrally located & reasonable. It was a great vacation!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO