1st Trip To USVI

May 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

1st Trip To USVI

Putting a trip together for 14 days in 2008. We can go anytime and currently have reservations for 4/14/08 thru 4/28/08 at the Marriott.
This would put us in the middle of Carnival Season I presume based on the 2007 dates. There are just 2 of us, and the plan is to hit it fast, and hard for most of the time seeing as many sites, and taking in as many activities as possible weather permitting. We are staying in St Thomas as a base, so I thought we could be out of the main Carnival crowd during the day, but return for the excitement at night. We plan on spending a couple nights away from our base on St John as well, and are open to other suggested locations. I guess my 1st question, and there will be many is if we should pass on the Carnival dates. I am guessing that with everyone focused on Carnival in St Thomas the trafiic in general at the beaches, and snorkeling spots may not be so crowded, but I really have no idea, it could also be the opposite. Can any locals give us a heads up. Thanks in advance for your comments.
May 13th, 2007, 05:23 AM

I can't comment specifically on STT or Carnival but I can tell you that the bulk of your dates are the 10 days of Northeast public schools vacation week. So any island would be more crowded than at other times (with higher airfare as well). Personally, if I didn't have schoolaged children, I'd travel during a different time.

Hope others can comment specifically on Carnival.
May 15th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ccrosner, can you give me the exact dates the children are out of school then?
May 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Our kids are out of school from February 16 to 24, 2008. We're in Massachusetts. Vermont and New Hampshire have the following week but I believe most of NY and NJ and CT public schools have the same week as Massachusetts.
May 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM

ccrosner - I think you've gotten a bit confused. bullitt731 is planning a trip for April 14 through April 28 not February 16 through February 24. i don't think bullitt's dates coincide with and specific school holidays.

As for "Carnival", although I've not been on St. Thomas during Carnival I've been on other islands for their versions of Carnival many times and rarely have I found beaches, etc. overly crowded. The Carnival events do draw crowds but no more so than any other type of street celebration you'd find in "hometown" America.
May 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM

April is a gorgeous time to go. St. Thomas is the perfect base of operations. There are ferries leaving to most of the Virgin Islands from there. St. John is a mere 20 minute passenger ferry over and you could just rent a car there when you go. Be sure to bring your passports so that you can take advantage of the convenient and fun trips throughout the British Virgin Islands.
May 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. After reading as much as possible on the Carnival subject, I get the impression it would be similar to the 4th of July here in the states. Since I will never be brave enough to visit Rio, I think I will give this celebration a shot.