10 Days in Dominican Rep?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help planning 10 day trip for the Family. I am thinking Punta Cana and possibly a bit traveling around DR.
Family is wanting to experience everything
Bonus if I can get the husband a round of golf and some scuba diving (he is a Golf Pro and PADI certified)

Who: Family 2 adults three teens (14-17)
Departure from DC area
Approx Dates: June 19-July 10

In order of a most wished for:
Sit back & relax (Spas, Sailing, Beaches)
Action & adventure (Riding,Hiking, Cycling, Watersports)
Nightlife (Bars, Clubs, Dancing) Yes even the teens want to dance the night away
Shopping (local Boutiques, Craft/Flea Markets)
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you want an all inclusive resort?
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 05:07 PM

I would stay away from the DR altogether until they sort out the "mystery" illnesses and deaths there.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 04:04 AM

Those deaths were all at one resort. No need to panic about the entire area.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to agree. I think there are better island choices. Especially if you want to "experience everything" and do a bit of traveling around the island. DR would be low on my list of the options available.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by schmerl
Those deaths were all at one resort. No need to panic about the entire area.
The US State Department issued a level two (out of four) safety warning for the Dominican Republic in April 2019. The warning advises travelers exercise increased caution due to violent crime in the country, which include armed robbery, homicide and sexual assault. The State Department says that resort areas tend to be better policed and safer that urban areas for travelers.

As for the “safer” resorts, the mystery illnesses were at TWO different resorts, although owned and managed by the same company. And the alleged rape/beating guest (who claims the culprit was a staff member) was at a THIRD resort.
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 08:30 AM

My trips were a long time ago but I have been twice and included Santo Domingo, Sosua, and Puerta Plata. I just think there are many other islands that better fit what this family is looking for... just read their wish list. That does not say "DR" to me.

Not that they asked but I'd suggest instead the Mayan Riviera of Mexico or maybe Jamaica.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 04:57 AM

I agree the Mayan Riviera would be a better choice since it sounds like they want to do a lot off the resort site.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 05:35 AM

A new mysterious death at yet another resort
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 09:39 AM

Everything on their wish list is readily available in Mexico... plus more (cenotes, ancient ruins). Look at flying into Cancun, then onto Isla Mujeres, or down the coast to Playa del Carmen, and beyond to Akumal or Tulum.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 03:05 PM

I'd stay at Paradisus Melia. You can book all your excursions through them. I would not suggest doing that on your own. You want to make sure you stay safe while you are there.

I would go to DR right now if the tickets were not so expensive. Punta Cana is beautiful!
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 12:47 PM

The Bahams, Turls and Caicos, and France also carry Level Two warnings.
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 03:39 PM

Yup. Mexico is a Level 2 as well.
Old Jun 12th, 2019, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would also stay away from the DR. That is an island where you go to an all inclusive and stay put. It is not the best or safest for traveling around in. Now that these mysterious illnesses and deaths are all being reported, it is not the time to go there in my opinion.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 08:20 AM

The DR has as many hotel rooms and resorts as the rest of the Caribbean combined. The fact that there have been some coincidental deaths out of literally hundreds of thousands of US travelers is statistically insignificant. I see no issue with going to the DR for a holiday. But concerns about the difficulty and logistics of traveling around the country are not unfounded. It's hard. If you want to travel around, hire someone to take you. The area around Puerto Plata is interesting, and there are some good resorts there. You could hire a driver to take you from Punta Cana. It won't be cheap, but I don't think you should drive yourself.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 10:42 AM

Nothing wrong with the Dominican Republic, I just don't think it fits this request. Did you read their Wish List of activities?

And sorry but I certainly would not blow off the recent tourists deaths because they are "statistically insignificant".
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 04:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree the DR is not the island to explore on your own. You’d at least want to have a local guide.

If you’re anxious about having teens at an A-I, would you consider a golf resort that is near La Romana as opposed to Punta Cana?

Casa de Campo is a very nice upscale resort. Your husband would especially like it. I think on-site, it has three golf courses, polo grounds, beaches, a nice clubhouse. It’s near a little ‘village’ created on the bluff overlooking the river, with shops and restaurants. Cute little marina. Rentals would include private townhomes, which usually come with a housekeeper/cook. There are also resort accommodations.

Old Jun 17th, 2019, 05:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 11:02 AM

Nightlife, bars, clubs, dancing the night away??? In the DR???
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by suze
Nightlife, bars, clubs, dancing the night away??? In the DR???
Sure, if you choose the right resort the DR is good for nightlife (Santo Domingo is better, but won't offer the beaches most people expect on a Caribbean vacation, but you could certainly split your time between Santo Domingo and Casa de Campo if going for 10 days. I think that Cancun or Playa del Carmen might be a better choice (with Cancun having a much more lively nightlife scene). Negril is Jamaica is also a good choice and also has a wide variety of all-inclusive resorts and beautiful beaches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -