yoho or lake lousie

Search

yoho or lake lousie

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yoho or lake lousie

two of us love heli hike idea hopefully to get a look at the sights without the car problems of end july ,white water rafting accomadation best for these things. we love to be on a lake or in a valley but only have three days
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:19 AM

I am not sure, if heli-hiking is allowed within the park boundries. I think, you have to remain outside the national-park border. I would recommend Golden as a basis, as Golden is well known for heli-skiing.

Yoho NP has very restrictive access rules to some areas to protect wildlife in the mountains and number of accomodation is small.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:34 AM

Car problems? Clarify please.
I never had a car problem in 9 visits to that area. Johnson Canyon parking lot gets full, but that is the only one where I was ever shut out and decided to move on to other areas.

No heli hiking out there that I know of except to Mount Assiniboine provincial park. You can ride in and stay at the lodge if you can get a place to sleep.

My suggestion is to go to Yoho an hike the Iceline trail.
There are two back country places.
Twin Falls Chalet and the Stanley Mitchell Hut. The former is privately operated and open late June to September this year. The other is run by the Canadian Alpine Club.

To the Standley Mitchell Hut you bring your own gear and food. At Twin Falls, you have food provided in the daily price, which is not cheap. It is backwoodsy for sure.

Another option is to Hike up the Yoho Valley, cross the Whaleback and return in one day. But that takes a strong hiker with endurance.

There are some other valleys, too.
The extension of the trail beyond Moraine Lake finally culminates in a high pass. And there is Sentinal Valley.

Quite a few places to go, but not much white water stuff. There is some because the Kicking Horse and the Yoho rivers are swift.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Let me modify my previous post.
There is heli hiking in the Bugaboos, which are west of the Columbia River, which flows through Golden.

The Yoho is a swift stream. I have seen kayaks on it. The paddlers looked like they were experienced hands at it.

Some parts of the Kicking Horse are braided, hence full of sand bars.
Other parts are swifter.

I am not a white water type, so others can answer your better.

I now that helicopters fly to Mount Assiniboine Lodge. I do not know if they drop people at other locations.
Assiniboine is a beautiful area that has no roads leading into it that I know of.
It is approached by air or by trail.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We have been warned that we are going in high season and lots of people like us (tourist) will be round.
Would you go Edmonton calgary and base round lake louise and just drive in and around. Or edmonton Jasper and split accomidation between jasper and lake louise. I suppose as we leave from calgary 6 days after our travel commences I want to enjoy this beautiful area without too much hassel.
We are the adventurous type and would rather see a few areas well than jump from point to point.
regards Jenny
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 02:01 AM

Consider doing a backcountry hike. There are several multi-day hikes available and I am very sure, that you will not see to many people.

Park Canada offers trip ideas. There are 2 day hikes, 3 day hikes, 4 day hikes, 7 day hikes and even 10 day hikes possible and you will not see a village or street on your tour.

http://www.parkscanada.pch.gc.ca/pn-...ctiv9_E.asp#25
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Edmonton is 200 miles from Jasper. That is a little far for a base.d
Calgary is a little closer but too far for a daily commute.

The towns of Canmore and Golden have commercial motels. Banff is full of places to stay, so there are chances you could find an opening.

Lake Louise is pricey, even for a fairly good motel.

I think you can find a place if you start hunting now.

Depending on your price range, and what not, Twin Falls Chalet is backwoodsy.
It is primitive and expensive because the supply line is expensive and the season is short.

I have been there several times because I enjoy the territory.

Try some of the bed and kitchen apartments in Field. Spiral Tunnels was sold out for August, but there are several other places in the village.
Look up the Field Accommodations Guide with Google.

There is also Kicking Horse Lodge in Field which is more of a commercial motel.

Facilities in the town are limited.
One place to eat; the Truffle Pig besides a sandwich bar type of place at the gas station near the highway just across from the visitor center.

We stock up before we get there.