Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Yeah, Yeah, I know It's Been Asked Before But....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't flame me, I've done the research on the official sites but, as they say - the beauty of the Internet is that there's sooo much information available and the curse of the Internet is that there's sooo much information available. I've searched here and no matter what combination of key words I use I come up with an absolute plethora of posts about travelling with kids that has not much to do with my question.

So treat me kindly please good Fodorites - as you are the fount of all travel knowledge.

This evening daughter dearest phoned to let me know that she wants to take our granddaughter from Vancouver to Disneyland. As she was running out the door as I was running in the door here in Ottawa we didn't get into much in the way of details. Her interest was mainly to see if Mom (me) might financially subsidize the trip in some manner. Mine was mainly to sympathize with DH for the rib he cracked today doing home renovations and pour a nice vodka tonic (not necessarily in that order to be sure!)

Anyhow, DD is separated from granddaughter's dad (never married, lived together). From what I can glean from my research, she will need to be sure to have the following minimum when she travels (air):

If before Dec. 31, 2005:
- photo ID for herself (does she need raised seal birth certificate as well?)
- ID (preferably photo) for my granddaughter. (Is photo ID for kids available from driver licence outlets in BC?)
- notarized affidavit from dad giving her permission to take granddaughter out of the country between specified dates

If after Dec. 31, 2005:
- passport for herself and granddaughter
- notarized affidavit from dad giving her permission to take granddaughter out of the country between specified dates

Can you kind folks confirm this for me? (Security requirements seem to change minute by minute these days).

I have posted this on the US forum as well.

Linda
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 09:49 PM

There <b>was</b> talk of the U.S. and Canada imposing passport requirements on each others' visiting citizens. However, the news apparently was very unpopular, and talk about the need for passports has become fuzzier and fuzzier. They're now saying the passport requirement will be introduced at some point in the future. It seems that, even if that does happen, it may be in a few years' time. In any event, passports definitely will not be required by January 1, 2006.

An adult needs proof of citizenship <b>and</b> proof of identity. The beauty of a passport is that it serves both purposes.

For most people without a passport a birth certificate is the best proof of citizenship. I think (but am not sure) that you do need what you call a raised seal birth certificate. By claiming ignorance of the details, I'm not trying to be funny. I wasn't born in Canada, so I don't have a Canadian birth certificate. If I remember correctly, my kids' Alberta birth certificates (which are in a bank safety deposit box and not immediately available for inspection) do have raised seals.

Any form of government-issued, photo ID is considered to be a valid form of identification. For most people a driver's licence is the easiest form of government-issued, photo ID to produce.

I have never heard of kids requiring photo ID when they cross the border. I seem to recall seeing that a birth certificate was enough.

A lone parent who is travelling with his/her child does need a letter of permission from the child's other parent. The letter must include the other parent's address and phone number. Alternatively the parent with whom the child is travelling must be able to produce a death certificate demonstrating that the other parent is deceased (obviously not applicable in your family's case) or else he/she needs documentation demonstrating that he/she has sole custody of the child. And, yes, the U.S. government's web site recommends that the letter be notarized.

My understanding was that a child needed proof of citizenship (in other words a birth certificate) and, if applicable, a letter of permission from the absent parent.

I thought I read something to the effect that kids did not need photo ID. However, as an interesting aside, I note on the U.S. government's web site that it requires children who are citizens of the U.S. and who are 14 years of age or older to have photo ID when they re-enter the U.S. from another country.

I notice on another web site that Canada requires any American visitor to Canada who is 16 years of age or older to have photo ID. Again, not applicable in your family's case, but I think it does give an indication of the government's thinking patterns.

I've read on the travel discussion forums that some parents bring their child's class photo with them. Although it isn't &quot;official&quot; photo ID, a class photo can help to keep a border official happy, or so I've read on the travel discussion boards.

At the end of the day I think the requirement for a photo depends on your granddaughter's age. If she's at an age at which a child wouldn't normally have photo ID, I don't believe it's required. If she's at an age at which a child usually <b>would</b> have ID, e.g., a driver's licence, then I think a border official would expect her to have it.

I would try to verify this via official channels, e.g., U.S. embassy or consulate, if I were you.

All the best to your other half.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:42 AM

By &quot;raised seal&quot; birth certificate, I would translate that to &quot;original&quot; or &quot;certified copy.&quot; A photocopy will not be acceptable, no.

I do agree with Judy about passports, they make crossing the border SO much easier. Encourage DD to get one for herself, anyway.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:49 AM

UP until recently and as far as I know may still apply you could opt for a laminated smaller birth certificate (about the size of a driver's licence) which is what I have and my daughter as well. It is easier to carry and doesn't get torn etc. Although I have a passport I still use the birth certificate on occasion.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. I'm sending it all to DD. My apologies, I mis-read the information on the Passport Canada website. The current implementation date for passports for air travel to the US from Canada is December 31, 2006 not 2005.

Thanks again everyone - I really appreciate the quick information.

Linda