Search

Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

I know it's a little early.
I was wondering if anyone was planning to attend or volunteer?
Has anyone ever volunteered for any Olympic Games? I'm thinking about pursuing such and was wondering how the process goes. I've got the link with the info I just thought maybe someone may know the "real deal".
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM

>>>>>>Has anyone ever volunteered for any Olympic Games?<<<<<<

No.

At the time of the Winter Olympics in Calgary in 1988 my children were young, and I did not feel it would be feasible for me to volunteer.

A few of our friends volunteered, and they had varied experiences.

A couple of our women friends who had young children ended up feeling a bit overwhelmed, and they rather regretted their decision to volunteer. They had to hire baby sitters and juggle various logistical balls in order to meet their volunteering commitments.

On the other hand, our friends who had older children (teenagers) and still other friends who were empty nesters thoroughly enjoyed their stints at volunteering. There was an enormous sense of camaraderie amongst the volunteers. Everyone who volunteered felt as if they belonged to a family, and you could sense it amongst them for years afterwards.

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Hmm,thanks for the input.
I'm single and with out children so I'm pretty available and flexible.
I'm not in Canada and I know we have to provide our own accomadations. So I'm wondering how that's going to work.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Absolutely you should volunteer, you will have the best time. I volunteered during the 1988 Olympics in Calgary and it still ranks as one of the best experiences of my life. My only regret is that I still worked all day and then did a shift from 4 to midnight every day, in hindsight I would have taken the time off work in order to party all day!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM

HI tzarinna,

I didn't volunteer at our SLC 2002 winter olympics, because in the beginning they said you had to be available for the whole 17 days, and i don't even get that much vacation!

Another UT Fodorite friend did volunteer. If you posted on the US, Utah section, she (BarbaraS) will answer about her experience!

Ironically, I eneded up being unexpectedly unemployed during our Olympics, so I had a great time! Went to 6 different events, an Awards Ceremony (with the Bare Naked Ladies playing), and a couple of parties. It was really something to remember.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cruiseryyc and Dayle.
I'm getting super stoked.
I'll gather myself and post in Utah.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:50 AM

Not too early to get excited! I've been so since they announced it...LOL!

I've moved away from Vancouver but if I were still in town, I'd definitely volunteer at the Olympics. Some of my Van friends are planning to.

I can't volunteer, but I've already decided (and told everyone I know so that I'll have a place to stay...LOL!) that I'll be back in Van for the Olympics!! Hopefully I'll get some figure skating tix, and my bro has a condo at Whistler which I hope to sleep on the floor for a nite or 2!!

Enjoy-la!