Itinerary help with Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to visit Seattle and Vancouver in August. I have come up with the following possible places to visit in Vancouver. Please let me know which ones are worth visiting and how much time I will need in Vancouver to see them. If I omitted something, please also let me know.

1. Stanley Park
2. Vancouver Aquarium
3. HR MacMillan Space Centre
4. UBC Museum of Anthropology
5. Granville Island Market
6. Capillano Salmon Hatchery
7. Harbour Centre Tower
8. Vancouver Museum
9. Science World
10. Guided tours by land and water

I was thinking of staying at either the Pacific Palisades Hotel or Le Soleil Hotel & Suites. What do you think of those hotels? Are there certain restaurants you can recommend that are nice and not very expensive?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:56 AM

Unless you're traveling with children or are especially young at heart I would probably pass on Science World and the Planetarium/Space Centre.
If you're goal oriented you could see most of the things on your list in three busy days. Maybe consider four if you want to explore things not on the list and allow yourself the freedom to be less on a schedule to make it to your next stop.

The hotels you've asked about are decent options. That being said, you didn't mention your criteria. Budget? Location? Style?

Finally Vancouver is chock full of good restaurants that are not very expensive. I'm certain that other people will wiegh in on this, but I personally love Chambar and Vij's. Both are not "budget" places by Vancouver standards, but by New York or big city Europe standards they offer tremendous value and notable cuisine. Vij's was reviewed in the NY Times as being one of the best Indian restaurants in the world, and with mains in the low-mid $20's I think it's a very special option. Chambar is Belgian and represents an equally good value.

www.chambar.com
www.vijs.ca

If those don't suit you, post a price range or type of preffered cuisine and I'll give you a few other suggestions.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the excellent tips. I am looking forward to my trip to Vancouver from August 16-20th.

As far as restaurants, I particularly like seafood and Italian restaurants. If Vancouver is known for certain foods, I would like to sample them.

David
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:20 PM

bookmark
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:43 PM

&quot;<i> If Vancouver is known for certain foods, I would like to sample them.</i>&quot;

Sushi-<u>lots</u> of Sushi but be careful when choosing-many low end AYCE places are little short of dreadful.

Some outstanding places

http://www.octopusgarden.ca

http://www.okadasushi.com

<b>Dan</b>
http://www.dinehere.ca/restaurant.asp?r=842

Izakaya Bars
http://www.guu-izakaya.com/

Indonesian http://www.spiceislandsindonesian.com

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM

We spent 4 weeks in BC - 20 August-25 September, 2008, arriving in Vancouver after a 10 hour flight and stayed 3 nights at:
1. Best Western Suites on Granville - Good sized rooms with windows that open but noisy(!) on the weekend as it is in the 'night-life' area of the street. Easy to access Yaletown and a short walk to the shops of Robson St.

After a week in the Kelowna/Osoyoos area, we returned to Vancouver and stayed 3 nights at the Listel Hotel on Robson St. As we were 2 families, with 2 teenaged girls, the setting was perfect. Easy access to the shops, tons of restaurants in the area, cafes, bus service, etc. In addition, the hotel staff was some of the most pleasant and efficient that I have encountered. Parking costs an additional $25/pn. Everything is within walking distance. A nice touch - French Pressed coffee is delivered to your door each morning - provided you have hung your request on your door.

Our third choice of hotel in Vancouver, after 2 weeks on Vancouver Island, was the Executive on Howe(?) It looked a little close to the bridge but in fact there was 0 noise from traffic. It was an excellent location for walking in Yaletown, English Bay, and into town. It was also very easy to go from the parking garage to all parts of the city and across the Burrard St bridge to Kits and the beaches. The passenger ferry to Granville Island was at the foot of the street.
We got an excellent deal through the HelloBC! website that included: room, breakfast, parking, &amp; internet for $160 a night.

Tomorrow we return to Vancouver (not looking forward to that 10 hour flight) and our first 3 nights are at the West Coast Suites on UBC campus.

From there we are going back to The Listel for the final 4 nights of our stay.

Stanley Park is enormous and diverse. In the summer there is a free trolley that allows passengers to get on and off at will, with commentary provided by drivers that are very friendly. It is very well used, hence it can be crowded. It stops at the beaches, Aquarium, rose garden, rowing club, etc. The aquarium is extremely well done and well worth a visit.

The UBC Museum of Anthro was simply stunning! The totem poles alone are worth the price of admission - but the Bill Reid sculptures are fabulous. Lots of information and very interesting.

My mouth waters as I think of the Granville Market. The fish and other foods are presented so beautifully! We had lunched before we arrived so only bought oranges to enjoy on the pier, in the sunshine, while listening to the scheduled buskers perform. Lots of shops and gift purchasing opportunities aplenty.

The following is an accumulated list from other people's postings on the topic of seafood restos in Van Van.

VANCOUVER RESTAURANTS

JOE FORTES
777 Thurlow Street, near Robson
1-877-669-5637
Serves good, solid seafood. Nothing inventive, nothing that will blow you away. The location is spectacular, with their rooftop patio, and it's right in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Reservations are recommended.
www.joefortes.ca

BOATHOUSE RESTAURANT
1795 Beach Avenue, (ft of Denman) English Bay
604-669-2225
A seafood restaurant located right on English Bay with bay windows a spectacular view of the sunset over the water.
www.boathouserestaurants.ca

THE CANNERY
2205 Commissioner Street
Vancouver, BC, V5L 1A4
1-877-254-9606
604-254-9606
Old-school, luxurious, classic, romantic, pricey. Formerly a cannery and the wooden walls are decorated with historical fishing implements and old photographs. It sits right on the water, with spectacular views to the Lions Gate Bridge. Due to new Port security measures, the Victoria Drive access is permanently closed. The only access and exit points to the Cannery are by way of the Commissioner Street overpass located just off McGill Street and the Clark Drive overpass located on Clark Drive just north of Hastings Street.
www.canneryseafood.com

CHAMBAR
562 Beatty Street Crosstown (nr Dunsmuir)
Vancouver BC.
V6B 2L3
604 879 7119
A Belgian restaurant so it features a large selection of beer. A tapas-style menu. Make a reservation for the back of the restaurant, so that you get a 'view' of the Science Centre and a bit of skyline (condos, mostly), but it beats being seated along the wide corridor facing the bar, unless you don't mind the traffic of the waitstaff and diners coming to and fro.
www.chambar.com

BIN 941 and 942 (two different locations)
Not strictly seafood, Bin is a small, narrow room with funky artwork exploding out of the walls...it's noisy, and a wee bit crowded. You're pretty much elbow to elbow with the other tables. Sort of like a house party, with really great food.
www.bin941.com

RODNEY'S OYSTER HOUSE
Oysters can be found at Rodney's Oyster House in Yaletown. Super casual, a small menu but almost all seafood.
www.rodneysoysterhouse.com

AIJSAI
2081 42nd Avenue West, Kerrisdale
For sushi, nothing beats Ajisai. (no website, it's at tucked in behind London Drugs. I lived in Japan for three years. This place is authentic and it's good, and the prices are reasonable.

COAST
1257 Hamilton Street,
Yaletown, Vancouver, BC V6B 6K3
604-685-5010

RAINCITY GRILL
1193 Denman Street
Vancouver, BC
604-685-7337
Raincity Grill has a patio that would be good for English Bay sunsets as well...weather permitting of course. It's a very well regarded place that's well known for locally sourced Pacific Northwest cuisine and would certainly have seafood options too.
www.raincitygrill.com

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 04:03 PM

One suggestion that I have for things to in Vancouver, is the Richmond Night Market. It takes place every weekend and is a market with Chineese vendors selling mainly food and &quot;stuff&quot;.
It is a very popular place and very entertaining and busy.