Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Whistler: fun 4 beginners? Trails on the top?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 12:35 PM
em

Hi, thinking of a whistler trip in Mar. 2001. <BR>My husband is a beginner & wonders if its suitable. I gather the base of Whistler can be mushy but th top of the mt is always good. <BR>Are there beginner trails on the top? <BR>thanks

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 08:47 AM
ALF

There are some fine beginners trails off the top of Whistler. One of my favorites is called the Burnt Stew Trail, which is over 5 miles long and gently meanders back and forth, starting above timberline, then eventually into the woods. You can access it from the top of the Harmony chairlift. There are also several nice beginner's runs off the top of the gondola, in particular the Whiskey Jack Trail. Here is a web site with map of Whistler: http://www.whistler.com/Resort/Maps/Whistler/ <BR>Click on any section to zoom in on details.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 04:02 PM
em

Thanks so much! Do you have any lodging suggestions? Looking for something clean, quiet, not tacky. Also, is it true that there are long lines at Whistler? Trying to decide if it is worth the trip (from NYC) or stick to Vt. or try Utah. Any more ideas would be great! Thanks again!

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 09:43 PM
sheri

If you want quiet, stay outside the Village (on the outskirts, if you still want to be within walking distance of the lifts). We stayed in a condo complex between Whistler and Blackcomb that was perfect (Snowy Creek, I think it was called. The Gables is another good condo complex). I've stayed right in the Village and it's noisy until 3 AM with people coming home from the bars, then people in ski boots start clomping by before 7 AM. <BR> <BR>I've been at Whistler at peak times in March and most times the lines are 5-10 minutes max. Longest I remember waiting was about 15 minutes once. There are electronic signs posted on the mountain that tell you where the longest lines are so you can avoid them. <BR> <BR>Of course, you can't beat the snow in Utah. Here in the NW, it's wet, not the dry powder they get there. But Whistler's a very fun place to ski.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 09:40 AM
Janice

My husband and I went to Whistler in March of 1999. I am a beginner skier in my late 50's and my husband is an intermediate skier. We had the best ski trip of our life. There were plenty of long trails for beginners and lot's more for intermediate. We stayed at a Whiskey Jack Condo out of town a little ways and it was great. Go to Whistler. It is great. We plan to go back in March 2001. <BR> <BR>Janice <BR>