Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which area of Montreal is most like the 6th arr. in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Jen

My husband, sister-in-law, and her husband are taking our parents to Montreal next Memorial Day weekend for their 60th birthdays. We'd like to stay in an area similar to the 6th in Paris...restaurants, boutique shopping, etc all outside our door. Looking for comments - street boundries would be helpful. <BR> <BR>We're currently looking at Auberge Bonaparte - please forward any comments on that hotel. <BR> <BR>Any other hotel/inn recommendations would be great too. Here's what we'd like: <BR> <BR>1. Boutique hotel (less than 50 rooms) with spacious rooms. <BR>2. Bar or public area to meet and have cocktails in the early evening. <BR>3. In quaint neighborhood <BR>4. Good breakfast in public dining area in morning. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:31 AM
DougD

I've been to Montreal many times, and stayed in the 6th in Paris. I think the neighborhood around St. Denis & Square St. Louis, above Sherbrooke, may come the closest. Lots of small cafes, shops, bars, etc, a very French feel, with lots of livliness. St. Denis near St. Catherine is a bit seedier, but not unsafe. The old city area is also quite charming, but doesn't have the same feel as the St. Denis-Square St. Louis area. The downtown area, near McGill is also fun but it feels more like New York than Paris. There are some very pleasant b&b's in the Square St. Louis area, and I'm sure you can find the kind of hotel you are looking for.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Daniel Williams

Hi Jen- <BR> <BR>It's been about 10 years since I've been to Paris and I lived in Montreal for 5 years, leaving 2 years ago with a number of return trips in the meanwhile. I wish I could give hotel/accommodation advice but I've always stayed with friends. <BR> <BR>That said, I would not go with an expectation of achieving the energy of the 6ième arrondissement in Montreal. Paris is a far older (and larger) city, with grand buildings predating European colonization of North America, when Montreal was a trading post named Hochelaga. Not to say that Montreal is not a fabulous destination--it most undoubtedly IS, but one should not equate it with a European destination, although many from North America find Montreal feels "European". <BR> <BR>I looked up the Auberge Bonaparte and it's in Old Montreal. Old Montreal is the site of the original Ville Marie settlement, which dates from 1642. Today, it is where tourists visit, and a number of old buildings have been converted to office space...very few Montrealers live here relative to other parts of the city, so it lacks the neighborhood feel of la 6ieme. However there are nice places to get breakfast, a few bars and it's very quaint. You WILL see real Montrealers here in fair numbers, but their presence is matched if not slightly outnumbered by that of tourists. <BR> <BR>You may wish to try an auberge adjacent to Parc Lafontaine in le Plateau Mont-royal district. (I think Auberge Lafontaine is one...) The Plateau I think you will find quaint, with plenty of pleasant bars and great brunch/lunch/dinner places, being right near St. Denis St. and Mont Royal Ave. <BR> <BR>Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions. DAN

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Jen

Thank you for the comments...St. Denis was another area we were considering. If we were to stay in that area (around Square St. Louis), what kind of walk would we have to most of the sites first-timers should see? <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Daniel Williams

HI <BR> <BR>Luckily Carré St. Louis is pretty centrally located right next to Sherbrooke metro on the orange line. By Metro, it's 4-5 minutes to Champ de Mars/Place d'Armes metro for all the "sights" in Old Montreal (within 10 minute walk of these metro stops). <BR> <BR>Don't worry too much about "sights", though, the real joy of Montreal is walking around and exploring, finding niches that you enjoy. Have a plan of an area you want to see each day and maybe one sight...a lot of the fun Montreal is in spontaneity. <BR> <BR>DAN

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Donna

When we're not going to Paris, we head for Hotel de la Montagne in Montreal, requesting a room on an upper floor overlooking rue Crescent - which positively resembles one of those quintessential Parisian streets (although most of the buildings house restaurants and nightlife). On one corner, though, is a magnificent patisserie. Then, we spend one day wandering from Sherbrooke metro station past Square St Louis toward Mont Royal, where both sides are lined with charming townhouses which are now shops, boutiques, patisseries, cafes, and restaurants. For a real French fix, we head for rue Laurier in Outremont, with charming French shops, groceries and a fabulous kitchenware, table top, shop, and one of our favorite restaurants for lunch or dinner - Chez Leveque. Hotel de la Montagne has a fabulous "formal" restaurant, "Le Lutecia" - Belle Epoque heaven, along with one terrific and spectacularly gorgeous (wood, brass, mirrors, lamps, plants) bistro - "Thursdays" (not to be confused with the nightclub within). The cocktail lounge is finer than any we've ever visited in Paris. Comfortable and "Art Nouveau" with terrific live music. It has more than 50 rooms, but used to be an apartment building, so is quite intimate. They offer a magnificent breakfast buffet in Le Lutetia, except Sundays when the best brunch in town is served at Thursday's. Those in the know book a table on the outdoor deck in the nice weather. And, the fountain in the lobby is not to be missed. For fine dining at reasonable prices where you'd just swear you were in Paris, try Guy & Dodo Morali or Chez la Mere Michele. Or, Le Paris... You're not likely to meet all your requirements in one neighborhood with "street boundaries" because Montreal, unlike Paris, has a mix of modern with vintage.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Normand Latreille

Message: Bonjour from Montreal. If you looking for a romantic place there is a lovely Inn located in Old Montreal,facing the Old Port, the Auberge du Vieux-Port. A 27 rooms Inn with a complete Concierge service helping you to organize your stay, suggesting and making restaurants reservation for you and more. Full breakfast also including and served at their French fine cuisine restaurant, Les Remparts. Visit their Web site at wwww.aubergeduvieuxport.com or call at 1-888-660-7678 for more information. See comments on Fodors description. If you decided to stay at the Auberge Bonaparte, go visiting the Auberge du Vieux-Port, it is just a few steps. Discover the historic city where you will find, by foot, museums, arts galleries, restaurants, boutiques and an architectural buildings dated of the last three century. Do a carriage horses tours. Have a great time in Montreal ! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 07:42 AM
SpamFree

Nice spam Roland! No advertising on this board!!!!!